Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
    Does anyone realize we're sticking 3-4.
    Do you realize that that decision isn't permanent, and the Steelers drafted two players in the first two rounds that could be potential future stalwarts of a Tampa 2 defense in Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley? Isn't LeBeau's contract up at year's end?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
    <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Reed is better in coverage.. Polamalu is better against the run and blitzing.

We're comparing apples to oranges. Your argument is bad though...

Reed is better in coverage... Polamalu is better at the Line of Scrimmage... therefore Reed is better? I said Polamalu is more versatile, he can cover, but he can also play a LB like role at the line of scrimmage.

ver·sa·tile (vûr'sə-təl, -tīl') pronunciation
      adj.

1. Capable of doing many things competently.
      2. Having varied uses or serving many functions: “The most versatile of vegetables is the tomato” (Craig Claiborne).
      3. Variable or inconstant; changeable: a versatile temperament.
      4. Biology. Capable of moving freely in all directions, as the antenna of an insect, the toe of an owl, or the loosely attached anther of a flower.

Reed is coverage only really... Polamalu is more "Versatile"
      Reed is coverage only? That is laughable. Reed is a better all-around player.

He's better in man coverage. He's better in zone coverage. He's better at making reads. He has more range. He has a better nose for the football. He has a better knack for making game-changing plays. Both are great tacklers. Polamalu may be slightly better at the line of scrimmage and blitzing. Reed is clearly more versatile.

Comment

Reed is better in coverage.. Polamalu is better against the run and blitzing.

We're comparing apples to oranges. Your argument is bad though...

Reed is better in coverage... Polamalu is better at the Line of Scrimmage... therefore Reed is better? I said Polamalu is more versatile, he can cover, but he can also play a LB like role at the line of scrimmage.

ver·sa·tile (vûr'sə-təl, -tīl') pronunciation
        adj.

1. Capable of doing many things competently.
        2. Having varied uses or serving many functions: “The most versatile of vegetables is the tomato” (Craig Claiborne).
        3. Variable or inconstant; changeable: a versatile temperament.
        4. Biology. Capable of moving freely in all directions, as the antenna of an insect, the toe of an owl, or the loosely attached anther of a flower.

Reed is coverage only really... Polamalu is more "Versatile"
        IMO if Reed job was to blitz more he would be better vs the run and blitzing. He never given the chance to run around like Polamalu has because Polamalu had Chris Hope covering behind and it shown this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
          I agree but not many people share our sentiment. He's a good player but when people start saying he's better than Ed Reed it's pretty over the top...
          I don't know if I would call him severely overrated, but I don't rank him as high as a lot of other people do.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
            I think Polamalu, as a traditional safety, is overrated. He is not one. Some people seemingly fail to realize that. But, when used properly he can be deadly. He has such good speed and is a hawk to the ball.

IMO, when I first realised he could be seriously exposed was the Ravens game last year. Not sure which one, but he looked lost on some big pass plays for touchdowns and just got beat. He shouldn't have those responsibilities, though. As a Rover he can make the most plays. Fortunately it looks like ya'll found a gem in Anothony Smith. My friend raves about him.
            I'm not saying Anthony Smith will be the next Ed Reed. But he's amazing in coverage... and He hits like a Mack truck.

I remember watching him kill JR Reid in the pre-season, then TJ Houshmanzadeh in the regular season.

I think if Smith is ready to play in the Centerfield... Troy can successfully play Rover.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by steelernation77 View Post
              You seem to have a huge grudge against the Steelers. Every time the Steelers or a Steeler player is brought up, you always chide in with some negative remark. I would expect this from a Brown, Bengal, or Raven fan, but I'm just curious where this hate comes from with a Vikings fan. Is it that the Steel Curtain overshadowed the Purple People Eaters? That we helped continue your streak of Super Bowl losses? Is it that we took over the Metro Dome a couple years ago? What's your deal?
              im a jets fan not a vikings fan. and i dont particularly have a grudge against the steelers. but they win one superbowl and people want to start acting like the steelers players are special.

they arent. no one of the steelers roster is anything more than good. they all have a purpose and a job that they do well and hide their faults with. they arent at an "elite" level though.

polamalu is good at running around free lancing. wow. so would alot of other people. he is one of the best safetys vs the run...but overall he is just in the good range.

hines ward is a good complete player. he blocks, he catches, he runs his routes well. but he isnt explosive. he isnt scary. and he cant take over the game. he is really good. but should be a great number 2 WR.

its how it is about every steeler to me.

Comment

Finnally someone who deserves the money, yeah he's a bit overated but atleast he deserves it somewhat unlike Freeney

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by ncstateviking View Post
                  im a jets fan not a vikings fan. and i dont particularly have a grudge against the steelers. but they win one superbowl and people want to start acting like the steelers players are special.

they arent. no one of the steelers roster is anything more than good. they all have a purpose and a job that they do well and hide their faults with. they arent at an "elite" level though.

polamalu is good at running around free lancing. wow. so would alot of other people. he is one of the best safetys vs the run...but overall he is just in the good range.

hines ward is a good complete player. he blocks, he catches, he runs his routes well. but he isnt explosive. he isnt scary. and he cant take over the game. he is really good. but should be a great number 2 WR.

That makes a lot of sense.. We historically have had the best LB's in the league.. some of the best DL's. RB's.

We're completely overrated. In a tough division.. we only manage to have a losing season.. what twice in the past 15 years? miss the playoffs... 4 times I believe. We're horribly overrated.

..How is it that we're always one of the best teams in the league but we're only mediocre talent wise? How is that physically possible? We have no talent but we're consistently good.

We have a bunch of "Role Players".. that is ridiculous. Every team has role players. I find it hard to believe that we're always so tough to beat, and that we're historically one of the best teams in the league year in and year out, yet we never have any Great or Elite players.. just a bunch of overachievers..

.. Wow.

As for winning 1 superbowl. Do you realize what we acheived the past 3 years?

We had a 15-1 season, led by a Rookie QB, a 2nd year UDFA RB, and a stout defense.

Then we had ended up 7-5. won every single game... On the road. To win the superbowl. It's not because we "just won" the superbowl.. it's how we did it. Only 6th seed to ever make it to the super bowl let alone win it.

This is just a joke. I'm not sitting here saying we're top 5 at everything.. but good lord.

Casey Hampton is elite. Troy is a Top 3 safety at worst (I have him tied at 2 with Dawkins), I think Willie Parker is coming into his own, Ward is up there in age and was more "Complete" than flat-out amazing.. but he will do great as a #2 as Holmes takes over.
                  Last edited by Mr. Stiller; 07-23-2007, 11:31 PM.

Comment

I agree, it's pretty stupid to bash the Steelers.

One thing they will never have though, is an appearance in the Superbowl in 1994. w00t.

Comment

That makes a lot of sense.. We historically have had the best LB's in the league.. some of the best DL's. RB's.

We're completely overrated. In a tough division.. we only manage to have a losing season.. what twice in the past 15 years? miss the playoffs... 4 times I believe. We're horribly overrated.

..How is it that we're always one of the best teams in the league but we're only mediocre talent wise? How is that physically possible? We have no talent but we're consistently good.

We have a bunch of "Role Players".. that is ridiculous. Every team has role players. I find it hard to believe that we're always so tough to beat, and that we're historically one of the best teams in the league year in and year out, yet we never have any Great or Elite players.. just a bunch of overachievers..

.. Wow.

As for winning 1 superbowl. Do you realize what we acheived the past 3 years?

We had a 15-1 season, led by a Rookie QB, a 2nd year UDFA RB, and a stout defense.

Then we had ended up 7-5. won every single game... On the road. To win the superbowl. It's not because we "just won" the superbowl.. it's how we did it. Only 6th seed to ever make it to the super bowl let alone win it.

This is just a joke. I'm not sitting here saying we're top 5 at everything.. but good lord.

Casey Hampton is elite. Troy is a Top 3 safety at worst (I have him tied at 2 with Dawkins), I think Willie Parker is coming into his own, Ward is up there in age and was more "Complete" than flat-out amazing.. but he will do great as a #2 as Holmes takes over.
                      It is a shame that Cowher left though.

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                        Finnally someone who deserves the money, yeah he's a bit overated but atleast he deserves it somewhat unlike Freeney
                        Who said anything about Freeney? What's your grudge against him?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                        <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
                          It is a shame that Cowher left though.
                          True, but Cowher was gone after the superbowl.. Watch any game in 2006.. he never made an adjustment.. just sat there and let it play out.

If that was any other season, Cowher would have them fired up and we would've played a lot better.

Though I think Tomlin is a great addition. I see Cowher as a major motivator. Tomlin is half-motivator, half-x's/o's guy. So I like the addition.

Don't forget, when Cowher was hired in 92, he was an unknown DC for the KC Chiefs that was largely unproven as well. and he still made the playoffs his first season.

Comment

Originally posted by ncstateviking View Post

hahaha that made me laugh im sorry....so your saying that the jets have a better o and d then the steelers since every steeler is "overrated"

Comment

good signing def smart to lock him up

Comment

jesus christ...i have a new problem with the steelers...there fans are idiots.

first off...im not saying the steelers are all role players. they are infact very good at most every position. my problem is when people try putting the steelers on all kinds of lists for top players. which they dont belong. i have hampton as my #6 DT...not bad at all. but he doesnt deserve more than top 10. people wanted to put hines ward and willie parker as top 50 players in the NFL...are you kidding me? they are both good. hines ward would be much more than a role player...he would be an asset to any team. but there are 20 recievers i would rather have. parker is a...ok...back. he is able to accell in a running offense with great blocking. he has good speed and surprising toughness. but if you dont think there are 15 backs who could have done better with his carries on the steelers last year your crazy. polamalu is very very overrated. he is great at what he does. but there really arent other people allowed to do what he does. that makes him stand out. if every safety had his freedom...he would just be above average and stout vs the run.
                                '
                                so they arent role players...but they arent elite top 5 players either. its not bashing the steelers. that is a proven formula. the pats have rules the decade using that method. i would love a team with the 7th best player at his position at every position. that team would win the superbowl easy. i dont have a problem with the steelers...pittsburg is actually a cool city...i used to live near it. but you steelers fans are blinding yourself into believing team success was do to individual talent. it wast.

im not comparing the jets and steelers at all really whoever brought that up. the jets actually have a similar team with no superstars and no glaring weakness. the only arguement i would make along those lines is kerry rhodes is a much better safety than polamalu.

and why are you bringing up history? im talking about some of the current players on the current steelers. how does that have anything to do with what the steelers have become "known for" throughout history. yeah...the steelers are one of the most prestigous historic teams in NFL history...but you know what...troy still blow...so congrats.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information