Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would you take out of the Hall of Fame?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would you take out of the Hall of Fame?

Inspired by the "Who is your Shocking Hall of Fame Pick?" thread, this thread instead allows you to (in your own hypothetical world of course) remove one player you think is entirely undeserving of the honor of being enshrined in Canton, but has already been enshrined.

My pick: Joe Namath. He's in for one reason, and one reason alone: "The Guarantee". If the Jets lose that game, Namath never even sniffs Canton, and I don't believe that one moment of greatness should outshine an entire career of mediocrity.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
    <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Gayle Sayers

I know this may be a questionable pick. I have my reasons though. Sayers was unquestionably a great player, but there have been many great players (particularly RB's) that have not been admitted into The Hall for various reasons. The reason Sayers should not be in The Hall is because he simply did not have a long enough career and was injured far too often. Explain to me why Sayers is in The Hall while Terrell Davis is not. Roll the stats please.

Sayers............................... Rushing .............................Receiving
    Year Team ....Games ..No..... Yds.... Avg.... TD .....No.... Yds.... Avg... TD
    1965 Chicago ...14 ....166 .....867 ....5.2 ....14 ...... 29 ....507 ....17.5 ...6
    1966 Chicago ...14 ....229 ....1231 ...5.4 .....8 ........34 ....447 ....13.1 ...2
    1967 Chicago ...13 ....186 .....880 ....4.7 .....7........ 16 ....126 ....7.9 ....1
    1968 Chicago ....9 ....138 .....856 .....6.2 .....2 ...... 15 ....117 .....7.8 ....0
    1969 Chicago ...14 ....236 ....1032 ....4.4 ....8 ........17 ....116 .....6.8 ...0
    1970 Chicago ....2 .....23 .......52 .....2.3 .....0 ........1 .....-6 ......-6 .....0
    1971 Chicago ....2 .....13 .......38 .....2.9 .....0 ....... 0 ......0 ......-- ......0
    Career ..........68 .....991 ...4956 ....5 .......39 .....112 ...1307 ....11.7... 9

Davis............................... Rushing .............................Receiving
    1995 Denver ....14 ....237 ....1,117 ...4.7..... 7 .......49 ....367..... 7.5..... 1
    1996 Denver ....16.... 345 ....1,538 ...4.5.... 13....... 36... 310 .....8.6 .....2
    1997 Denver ....15 ....369 ....1,750... 4.7 ....15 ......42 ....287..... 6.8 .....0
    1998 Denver ....16.... 392.... 2,008 ...5.1 ....21 ......25.... 217 .....8.7 .....2
    1999 Denver .....4...... 67 .....211 .....3.1.... 2 .........3 .....26 ......8.7.... 0
    2000 Denver .....5 ......78 .....282..... 3.6 ....2 ........2 ......4 ........2.0.... 0
    2001 Denver ....11 ....167 .....701 .....4.2 ....0 .......12 .....69 ......5.8 .....0
    Career ............81 ...1655.... 7607.... 4.6 ...60 ......169....1280.... 7.6 ....5

Davis- 7607 career rushing yards, 8887 total yards
    Sayers- 4956 career rushing yards, 6263 total yards

Davis has played in more career games, Davis played in 72.3% of his teams games compared to Gayers playing in 69.4% of his teams games, 21 more rushing TDs, as well as more receptions.

I would have no problem with Sayers being in The Hall if Davis were in as well, but Sayers being in and Davis not being in shows an astonishing lack of consistency in the requirements to be in The Hall. The main problem is that sports writers are the only people who vote on it, Hello large media market biases. Besides that though, it needs to be determined whether The Hall requires being very good over a long period of time, amazing over a short period, or both, because having a little bit of each leaves many players being left out who have the same, if not better stats than others that are in.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.

Comment

Art Monk:
      224 career games
      940 receptions (tied for 6th in NFL history)
      12,721 receiving yards (11th in NFL history)
      68 touchdowns
      Three Pro Bowls
      Five 1,000-yard seasons
      Three Super Bowl victories (injured in his third) (zero touchdowns)

Class act of the league, not flashy, simple and humble.

Michael Irvin:
      159 career games
      750 receptions (tied for 20th in NFL history)
      11,904 receiving yards (14th in NFL history)
      65 touchdowns
      Five Pro Bowls
      Seven 1,000-yard seasons
      Three Super Bowl victories (two touchdowns)

Showoff, crackhead, lower stats.
      Last edited by skinzzfan25; 07-24-2007, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
        Art Monk:
        224 career games
        68 touchdowns
        Three Pro Bowls
        Five 1,000-yard seasons

Michael Irvin:
        159 career games
        65 touchdowns
        Five Pro Bowls
        Seven 1,000-yard seasons

Thank you!
        Ive been wanting it to happen for 3 years now, but then the comitee put in Irvin

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
          Art Monk:
          224 career games
          68 touchdowns
          Three Pro Bowls
          Five 1,000-yard seasons

Michael Irvin:
          159 career games
          65 touchdowns
          Five Pro Bowls
          Seven 1,000-yard seasons

Those stats only reinforces that Irvin belongs in. He played sixty five fewer games, yet had almost as many yards and touchdowns, more pro bowls, more 1,000 yard seasons. Dominance > Longevity for the most part, in Hall of Fame discussions. That doesn't mean that one should be in, and Monk be out, but Irvin deserves it.

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
            Thank you!
            Ive been wanting it to happen for 3 years now, but then the comitee put in Irvin
            Chris Carter will get in before him too, rightfully so, he has better stats. They waited too long on Monk and now with these high powered offenses of the modern day, he's gonna have to wait till he's on that list of way old people to get in.

It's a shame :\

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
              Those stats only reinforces that Irvin belongs over Monk. He played sixty five fewer games, yet had almost as many yards and touchdowns, more pro bowls, more 1,000 yard seasons.

Dominance > Longevity for the most part, in Hall of Fame discussions.
              But Irvin played with Aikman, Monk played with Theisman, Schroeder, Williams, and Rypien

Plus he sets a bad image

Comment

I personally think that both should be in.

Comment

Ok I have to ask this question. If Terrell Owens wins 1-2 superbowls before he retires does he make the Hall of Fame? He brought teams like the 49ers and Eagles to the superbowl and playoffs also put up extreme numbers. I'm asking this because of Michael Irvin making it into the Hall of Fame.

Comment

I agree with that, but Art shouldve been in first

Comment

Originally posted by nfrillman View Post
                      Gayle Sayers

I know this may be a questionable pick.
                      Now there's an understatement.

Those stats only reinforces that Irvin belongs in. He played sixty five fewer games, yet had almost as many yards and touchdowns, more pro bowls, more 1,000 yard seasons. Dominance > Longevity for the most part, in Hall of Fame discussions. That doesn't mean that one should be in, and Monk be out, but Irvin deserves it.
                      Plus Irvin was the emotional driving force of the Cowboys dynasty, relative to the players.
                      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by PACKmanN View Post
                        Ok I have to ask this question. If Terrell Owens wins 1-2 superbowls before he retires does he make the Hall of Fame? He brought teams like the 49ers and Eagles to the superbowl and playoffs also put up extreme numbers. I'm asking this because of Michael Irvin making it into the Hall of Fame.
                        Based purely off of stats I would say he is a Hall of Famer right now, but I am pretty sure that stats are not the only thing the voters are told to consider. That is where Owens may come across some problems.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.

Comment

I have a real problem with the duo of Stallworth/Swann being in the Hall.

They were both drafted in 74 and operated as a duo for 9 seasons on the greatest Championship side in the 70's.

As a duo they had a combined for 635 catches for 10766 yards and 95 TD's from 1974 - 1982 in 224 games.

Monk/Clark in comparison over 8 seasons had 1090 catches 16114 yards and 99 TD's from 1985-1992 in 243 games.

If Monk/Clark were in I would have no problem with the Steeler duo being in simply because of their Superbowl exploits which is effectively the case.

BTW Michael Irvin thoroughly deserves too be in the Hall, he was amazing. I hate him but he deserved too get in. Not ahead of Monk but definately in.

Interesting stat lines

Clark 167 games 699 Receptions 10856 yards 65TD's 2 Rings
                          Irvin 159 games 750 Receptions 11904 yards 65TD's 3 Rings

If Gary Clark does not play in the USFL in 1984 he would be right up there with Michael Irvin

Comment

I agree that both should eventually be in also, just realistically speaking last year was Monks last year. Now he's going to have to go up against the Chris Carters and Jerry Rices, plus the modern day receivers like Harrison and others. Due to more powerful and pass happy offenses, Monk can't compete with their stats.

The people that vote players into the hall is the media. Monk was a douche to the media, and liked to keep matters within the organization. Irvin, was flamboyant and was a personality to the media during his playing days. Then later, he joined the media. Being that close to the media had to have helped Irvin a little...

Comment

I think Al Davis deserved to be in for his past success with the Raiders in the 70s, but should be taken out for what he has done with the Raiders recently and for giving Art Shell a coaching job...twice.

Originally posted by Halsey
                              I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information