Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would you take out of the Hall of Fame?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
    Yes but it was Al Davis who hired Gruden.
    Yeah but your post I corrected was implying Art Shell took them to the Super Bowl which is false.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
    On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
    Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
      Yeah but your post I corrected was implying Art Shell took them to the Super Bowl which is false.
      Oh.I ddint mean that.I was talking about Shells first time as a HC and that was succesful for a period of time.THen I switched to the SB a couple of years ago.
      "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by nfrillman View Post
        Gayle Sayers

I know this may be a questionable pick. I have my reasons though. Sayers was unquestionably a great player, but there have been many great players (particularly RB's) that have not been admitted into The Hall for various reasons. The reason Sayers should not be in The Hall is because he simply did not have a long enough career and was injured far too often. Explain to me why Sayers is in The Hall while Terrell Davis is not. Roll the stats please.

Sayers............................... Rushing .............................Receiving
        Year Team ....Games ..No..... Yds.... Avg.... TD .....No.... Yds.... Avg... TD
        1965 Chicago ...14 ....166 .....867 ....5.2 ....14 ...... 29 ....507 ....17.5 ...6
        1966 Chicago ...14 ....229 ....1231 ...5.4 .....8 ........34 ....447 ....13.1 ...2
        1967 Chicago ...13 ....186 .....880 ....4.7 .....7........ 16 ....126 ....7.9 ....1
        1968 Chicago ....9 ....138 .....856 .....6.2 .....2 ...... 15 ....117 .....7.8 ....0
        1969 Chicago ...14 ....236 ....1032 ....4.4 ....8 ........17 ....116 .....6.8 ...0
        1970 Chicago ....2 .....23 .......52 .....2.3 .....0 ........1 .....-6 ......-6 .....0
        1971 Chicago ....2 .....13 .......38 .....2.9 .....0 ....... 0 ......0 ......-- ......0
        Career ..........68 .....991 ...4956 ....5 .......39 .....112 ...1307 ....11.7... 9

Davis............................... Rushing .............................Receiving
        1995 Denver ....14 ....237 ....1,117 ...4.7..... 7 .......49 ....367..... 7.5..... 1
        1996 Denver ....16.... 345 ....1,538 ...4.5.... 13....... 36... 310 .....8.6 .....2
        1997 Denver ....15 ....369 ....1,750... 4.7 ....15 ......42 ....287..... 6.8 .....0
        1998 Denver ....16.... 392.... 2,008 ...5.1 ....21 ......25.... 217 .....8.7 .....2
        1999 Denver .....4...... 67 .....211 .....3.1.... 2 .........3 .....26 ......8.7.... 0
        2000 Denver .....5 ......78 .....282..... 3.6 ....2 ........2 ......4 ........2.0.... 0
        2001 Denver ....11 ....167 .....701 .....4.2 ....0 .......12 .....69 ......5.8 .....0
        Career ............81 ...1655.... 7607.... 4.6 ...60 ......169....1280.... 7.6 ....5

Davis- 7607 career rushing yards, 8887 total yards
        Sayers- 4956 career rushing yards, 6263 total yards

Davis has played in more career games, Davis played in 72.3% of his teams games compared to Gayers playing in 69.4% of his teams games, 21 more rushing TDs, as well as more receptions.

I would have no problem with Sayers being in The Hall if Davis were in as well, but Sayers being in and Davis not being in shows an astonishing lack of consistency in the requirements to be in The Hall. The main problem is that sports writers are the only people who vote on it, Hello large media market biases. Besides that though, it needs to be determined whether The Hall requires being very good over a long period of time, amazing over a short period, or both, because having a little bit of each leaves many players being left out who have the same, if not better stats than others that are in.
        Sayers had a higher ypc and wasn't in a system that produced 1000 yard rushers out of RBs with average talent. Also keep in mind that Sayers played in 14 game seasons, not 16 game seasons, and also Sayers had about 700 less carries than Davis. Sayers also beat out Jim Brown for an MVP trophy once I think, a remarkable feat. And yes, stats aren't everything in football like they are in baseball, Sayers' incredible talent are more than enough reason to put him in the hall even though he didn't produce like E.Smith or W.Payton for a long career. Sayers is probably one of the 5 best backs ever to suit up. But no knock on you really, this is supposed to be a thread that kind of has shocking suggestions. Not many people, if any at all, who are in the hall don't belong. I for one think T.Davis should be in over some guys (say Curtis Martin for instance) despite stats.

If I had to take someone out, It'd probably be either Joe Namath or Lynn Swann (don't ask why, don't get me started).

Comment

but as a hindsight. art shell IS in the hall of fame. funny that.
          amazing on how an OT can produce an offence that sucked so badly as a coach. funny how these coaching things work.
          http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
          For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

I have thought about this and I have come up with my answer: Lynn Swan. Putting him in the Hall of Fame is tantamount to putting Deion Branch in. He had excellent individual plays in the Super Bowl, sure. That should not be the sole factor in making the Hall of Fame.

Art Monk > Lynn Swan any day

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
              I have thought about this and I have come up with my answer: Lynn Swan. Putting him in the Hall of Fame is tantamount to putting Deion Branch in. He had excellent individual plays in the Super Bowl, sure. That should not be the sole factor in making the Hall of Fame.

Well, I think the only people that actually think Swann deserves to be in are Steelers fans.

Career stats:
              336 catches, 5462 yards, 51 TD

Single season average:
              37 catches, 606 yards, 6 TD

He never had more than 880 yards in a season or more than 11 TD. Aside from the 1975 and 1978 Super Bowls his playoff stats really weren't anything special.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for taking the words right out of my mouth.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

Originally posted by flave1969 View Post
                  So was Largent the last deserving receiver to go in and who should be the next one?
                  Without looking I'd say John Stallworth was the last one to get in that deserved it and the next are obviously Chris Carter and Jerry Rice. That's an easy one.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
                    Art Monk:
                    224 career games
                    940 receptions (tied for 6th in NFL history)
                    12,721 receiving yards (11th in NFL history)
                    68 touchdowns
                    Three Pro Bowls
                    Five 1,000-yard seasons
                    Three Super Bowl victories (injured in his third) (zero touchdowns)

Class act of the league, not flashy, simple and humble.

Michael Irvin:
                    159 career games
                    750 receptions (tied for 20th in NFL history)
                    11,904 receiving yards (14th in NFL history)
                    65 touchdowns
                    Five Pro Bowls
                    Seven 1,000-yard seasons
                    Three Super Bowl victories (two touchdowns)

Showoff, crackhead, lower stats.
                    Go figure, a Redskins fan complaining about Art Monk again.

Comment

Originally posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
                      Gale Sayers was one of the best talents the league had seen, Mario Lemieux the greatest hockey player of all time faced many injuries, that dosent take away from what he did on the ice just as you cant take away what Sayers did.
                      Is that why his jersey number is retired for every team and they bypassed the three year waiting period to induct him in the Hall Of Fame? Oh yeah, that's Wayne Gretzky, the guy who won eight straight MVP's and retired holding 61 different records.

Comment

do you guys think jerome should get in?

Comment

Lynn Swann is the possibly the most rawly talented receiver of all-time. He's the wide reciever version of Gale Sayers. A reason he didn't put up incredible numbers is because he had Franco Harris in the backfield and Stallworth beside him. Had Swann been the sole target on a team he would have broken a ton of records. He gets in on talent and clutch plays alone.

Comment

Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                            do you guys think jerome should get in?
                            I don't, but I'm more strict than others. I think that to make the Hall of Fame you need to be at the top of your position at least once.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
                              Lynn Swann is the possibly the most rawly talented receiver of all-time. He's the wide reciever version of Gale Sayers. A reason he didn't put up incredible numbers is because he had Franco Harris in the backfield and Stallworth beside him. Had Swann been the sole target on a team he would have broken a ton of records. He gets in on talent and clutch plays alone.
                              Gale Sayers' dominance and athleticism transcended the game. They don't look great now, but they were dominant in his era. He also had injuries snuff out his prime. You cannot apply the same tag to Swann. Lynn Swann made the hall of fame only for his clutch Super Bowl performances; however, you should put Deion Branch in there for that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
                                Is that why his jersey number is retired for every team and they bypassed the three year waiting period to induct him in the Hall Of Fame? Oh yeah, that's Wayne Gretzky, the guy who won eight straight MVP's and retired holding 61 different records.
                                Actually, they did waive the three year waiting period to induct Mario into the HOF.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information