No announcement yet.

Top 5 QB's Of All Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Elway and Favre have the two strongest arms in the history of the league and would pay money to see both of them in their prime in a throwing contest.

Comment

I have to break it down in decades.

The 60's: Bart Starr. I wasn't old enough to watch games, but he is the obvious choice for me.

The 70's: Terry Bradshaw. Part of a team that won 4 superbowls and was an incredible leader. All Steelers players said he was the key to thier championships. Also called all his own plays. He was the a qb who knew when and what play to call. Even to this day most qb's still do not have that ability.

2: Fran Tarkenton. Helped lead his team to 3 superbowls and was an incredible scrambler that also passed for alot of yards.

3: Bob Griese. Helped lead his team to back to back superbowl wins, was part of the perfect season and was also a good consistent passer.

4: Roger Staubach. Again a superbowl winner and he also was a very good leader. Didn't have many passing yards but also was a great scrambler.

5: Ken Stabler. Another guy who doesn't get enough credit. Nicknamed the snake for his elusiveness and was a very good passer also. Was able to help Oakland always be a contender.

In the 80's: Dan Marino. Didn't have superbowl wins, but basically holds every record without having a running game that would get a 1000 yards or a defense.

2: Joe Montana: Obvious why he is on the list. Won 4 superbowls and didn't throw int's in postseason play. Nuff said.

3: Jim Plunkett: Helped the Riders win 2 superbowls and was a great team leader. Made very good decisions and also was very smart.

4: Phil Simms: Helped lead the Giants to 2 superbowl wins evn though he was hurt for the second superbowl, he still led the team all year to the playoffs. Made good decisions, and if you watched him play, you know he was good.

5: Dan Fouts: Didn't have much of a defense around him and his running game was pretty good in certain seasons, but this guy was a very accurate passer and always had San Diego running for the playoffs. Very smart leader and also threw for over 40,000 yards.

In the 90's: Jim Kelly. He didn't win a superbowl, but helped lead his team to 4 straight appearences. Was a very accurate passer and very smart in the pocket.

2: Troy Aikman: Helped his team win 3 superbowls and also was a very good leader. Alot like Staubach, didn't have alot of passing yards, but made few mistakes and knew how to help keep some egos in check.

3: Brett Favre: Helped his team win a superbowl and get another visit to the game. Also he is a throwback to the tough mentality. Everyone pretty much knows what this guy brings every week. He does make alot of mistakes resulting in turnovers, hence the reason to be 3 on my list.

4: Dan Marino: Makes the list twice. By this time the marks brothers were gone, still had no running game, defense still choked every year and all he did was still put up the same consistent numbers. Don't really recall who his wideouts were for most of the decade either.

5: John Elway: I think the 90's is when he actually started to become a good qb. He helped lead his team in the 80's, but they drafted a guy in Maddox to take his place cause he really wasn't much more than an average qb. In the 90's his decision making became much better and with the help of Terrel Davis and a good defense was able to help his team win 2 superbowls.

In the current decade, the qbs that standout are: Tom Brady. The guy has helped his team win 3 superbowls and he really doesn't make many mistakes. Very consistent passer and is calm when the game is coming down to the wire.

2: Peyton Manning. Sure this guy has all the weapons around him, but so does every great qb. He makes great decisions and like Bradshaw has the ability to call his own plays. Also winning the superbowl this past year makes it look all the better.

As for the rest of the list, Kinda hard to say right now. Alot of up and comers with the likes of, Big Ben, Rivers, Carson Palmer, Drew Brees. etc. It's to hard to say who was the best, cause the game seems to change every decade. Also some guys were better leaders than others and some maybe had more talent, but there is alot more to being a great qb than looking at superbowl wins or probowl visits. Alot of hall of famers didn't go to alot of probowls and alot of probowlers aren't going to the Hall Of fame either.

Comment

fwiw - denver drafted maddox because dan reeves is the worst personnel evaluator in the history of the league, not because of anything with elway (besides maybe age).

Comment

Not true. I was living in Denver at the time and that was all the talk. There was even talk of trading him.

Comment

Best QB's of all time...

1) Terry Bradshaw

2) Ben Roethlisberger

3) Neil O'donnell

4) Kordell Stewart

5) Tommy Maddox

Comment

Terry Bradshaw is too high, he was a very good QB, but I wouldn't say great.

Jim Plunkett is too high, he shouldn't be on a top 5 list for the 80s, he was hardly able to even keep a starting job.

Troy Aikman didnt do anything that 20-30 other QBs in the 90s couldnt have done.

Elway deserves to be on both the 80s and 90s lists. How you don't have Favre as the QB of the 90s is beyond my comprehension. He had 3 straight MVPs and was an 8 time pro bowler. Like was said earlier in the thread, you are putting too much stock in these past 2 years. Ya, he always threw interceptions, but that was trying to make throws that no one else could possibly make, many of which he did.

You have put way too much stock into being on a good team.
              I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

that's just not the case. any talk of trading him was because dan reeves was a moron, not because it was actually a likely scenario.

Maddox was drafted in 1992. Denver had just come off a 12-4 season (hence picking at #25) with gaston green as the leading rusher (yeah, who?! is the right question to ask) and mike young (see previous) as the leading receiver with a massive 44 catches. carl pickens, a highly rated receiver, was still on the board. reeves opted for maddox because he a) is mind-numbingly stupid b) wanted elway's heir on board c) was trying to push elway out of town. part of the repercussions were shanahan's dismissal from the team (as he had taken elway's side).

Comment

Bart Starr can't be the number one QB for the 60s. You are forgetting about Johnny Unitas.
                  I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                  Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by someone447
                    Terry Bradshaw is too high, he was a very good QB, but I wouldn't say great.

Jim Plunkett is too high, he shouldn't be on a top 5 list for the 80s, he was hardly able to even keep a starting job.

Troy Aikman didnt do anything that 20-30 other QBs in the 90s couldnt have done.

Elway deserves to be on both the 80s and 90s lists. How you don't have Favre as the QB of the 90s is beyond my comprehension. He had 3 straight MVPs and was an 8 time pro bowler. Like was said earlier in the thread, you are putting too much stock in these past 2 years. Ya, he always threw interceptions, but that was trying to make throws that no one else could possibly make, many of which he did.

You have put way too much stock into being on a good team.
                    Do you know how to read? Farve is on my 90's list. Iv'e read most of your posts in this topic and I have to say that your not the brightest bulb in the light. You go on people you like not what they have done. I maybe wrong, but I would bet you didn't watch much football before 1999. After all this is only opinion and not fact.

Comment

• 1. Moon
                      2. Montana
                      3. Elway
                      4. Marino
                      5. Peyton

Comment

• Originally posted by someone447
                        Bart Starr can't be the number one QB for the 60s. You are forgetting about Johnny Unitas.
                        Not really. Starr won alot of championships with his team. Like I said I wasn't around for the 60's so I can't comment on them. Starr was the first that came to my mind. Sure Unitas was great, but I can't put him on a list I really don't know much about before the 70's.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                          now that two people have said the same thing: what cornerbacks (comparable in *coverage* to those playing today) did unitas play against?
                          He might not have played against corners with the coverage ability of those playing today, but keep in mind that he played in an era where the advantage was very much in favor of the defense.

There was no five yard chuck rule. Defensive backs could mug receivers up and down the field until the ball was thrown.

Offensive lineman could not use their hands to block. They had to block with their forearms and look like ******** chickens, because if they got hands on the defenders at all it would be a holding penalty, and holding was 15 yards in those days.

To add to the offensive line's woes, defensive players could legally use the "headslap" and barrage the offensive lineman's head while they could not use their hands to defend themselves at all.

There were absolutely no rules protecting the quarterback. Nothing. He was just as live as any other player on the field, if not more, because, as Joe Namath once said, the quarterback was "the trophy" and every defensive player on the field was doing his best to take the quarterback out of the game. Quarterbacks back then played with a level of toughness and were brutalized on a level that would be shocking to see in today's game.

Comment

• so what makes unitas so much better than, say, jurgenson (who between 1961 and 1970, a better passer than unitas was at any point in his career)?

Comment

• Johnny Unitas is widely considered the best qb of all time. I would definitely have Starr number 2, and I understand where you are coming from saying you can't put someone you haven't really seen play.

Troy Aikman SHOULD NOT have been a first ballot hall of famer. Don't get me wrong, I like Terry Bradshaw, I just don't think he was a great QB, and there are MANY others that will agree with me on that. He was very good, but not great.

Troy Aikman didn't do a whole lot. He had the all time leading rusher on his team, one of the best offensive lines in football history, a suffocating defense. Aikman was hardly more than along for the ride.

JIM PLUNKETT DIDN'T EVEN START FOR HALF OF HIS CAREER!! That one isn't even debatable.

And obviously YOU are the one who doesn't know how to read. I put THE QB of the 90's, meaning the top, the best, etc.

I go on not what they have done? Ok, here are my lists for each decade.

60's:Like you I haven't seen enough to make a top 5 list. But Johnny U has got to be number one. He was decades ahead of his time. I would like to say Starr is second, but I am not completely sure.

70s:
                              1. Roger Staubach: Great Scrambler and a pretty accurate passer
                              2. Fran Tarkenton: An all-around amazing QB, 4th all time in rush yards for a qb. Staubach gets the nod over Tarkenton because of Tarkentons abysmal play in the Super Bowls.
                              3. Terry Bradshaw: Yes he did win 4 super bowls, but he had perhaps the greatest team ever around him. The 70s Steelers had too many HOFers to count.
                              4. Bob Griese: for the reasons you mentioned.
                              5. Ken Stabler: for the reasons you mentioned.

80s
                              1. Montana: He was CLUTCH, if it was a big game, he was going to deliver. He executed the West Coast offense to perfection.
                              2. Dan Marino: As of now holds every major record, he had some very good receivers, but his most notable running back was Kareem Abdul-Jabar...
                              3. John Elway- He led the broncos to 3 super bowls in the 80s with no one else of any note. He made chardonnay out of **** with that team.
                              4. Dan Fouts: Led the "Air Coryell" offense that revolutionized the passing game. His Chargers were one of the most exciting teams in NFL history.
                              5. Boomer Esiason: He threw for a ton of yards and TDs in the 80s and led the BENGALS to a Super Bowl(granted, they were very good that year, but its still the BENGALS.)

90s
                              1: Favre: 3 time MVP, appeared in the Super Bowl twice, winning one. Did more with less than any QB in NFL history except for Elway.
                              2: Elway:Won 2 super bowls, including one over the heavily favored Packers. Was a phenomenal player, arguably the greatest QB of all time. I gave Favre the nod because of his 3 MVPs.
                              3. Steve Young: The most efficient passer in NFL history.
                              4. Dan Marino: He just kept throwing. Nothing else to say about him
                              5. Jim Kelly: The last QB to call all of his own plays. Unfortunately for him, he ran into the Cowboys a few too many times in those super bowls.

Overall, your list wasn't too bad, but Jim Plunkett should be no where near a top list. If you can't start more than half your career, you do not deserve to be on a top 5 list for a decade.

I just think you put too much stock into the players being on good teams. QBs dont win championships, teams do. More specifically, defenses win championships. Look at Marino, I don't take anything away from him for not winning a Super Bowl, he had no help. I think Elway taking his team to the Super Bowl in the 80s was more impressive than him winning those 2 late in his career.
                              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                                so what makes unitas so much better than, say, jurgenson (who between 1961 and 1970, a better passer than unitas was at any point in his career)?
                                They are more or less equal statwise during that time(jurgenson has the slight advantage). Unitas is the consummate leader. Every player from that Colts team said he was the heart and soul of the team. He is also one of the toughest SOBs to ever play the game.
                                Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information