No announcement yet.

Top 5 QB's Of All Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All those guys you named for Elway came in the late 90s. Who were his receivers in the 80s when he went? Who were his running backs? He had a GREAT team when he won those 2. There is no debating that. Just like Favre had a great team in '96. Neither of them ever played with a future Hall of Famer on offense(TD would have been had he not gotten injured.) Bradshaw had 4 on offense and 4 on defense. Favre has played with 1 future hall of famer his entire career, Reggie White. Elway had Tony Dorsett for one injury shortened season. 8>1>1/2 Tell me how exactly those teams stack up.

How does Dorsey Levens stack up with Franco Harris? How does Antonio Freeman stack up against Lynn Swann or John Stallworth? How does either defense stack up against the Steel Curtain?

NFLBOY, Look at John Elway during the 90s and tell me he doesn't deserve to be on that list. Hell him and Favre were the 2 QBs on the NFL all 90s team. Elway and Favre are without a doubt first ballot hall of famers, and they each should be. Aikman, not so much.

Plunkett I think is just ridiculous, and I am sure just about everyone else would agree.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Stiller
      Originally posted by cunningham06
      Originally posted by Gribble
      Originally posted by someone447
      Originally posted by 49ersfan_87
      Favorite 5

1. Steve Young
      2. Joe Montana
      3. John Elway
      4. Doug Flutie
      5. Rich Gannon

Top 5

1. Joe Montana
      2. John Elway
      3. Johnny Unitas

The rest is too jumbled...marino, tarkenton, young, bradshaw, etc. Not counting current guys like brady, manning, and favre.
      Bradshaw shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with those guys.
      Well, he won 4 Super Bowls.
      Yes, and playing with one of the most talented defensive units ever assembled has nothing to do with those wins? Big deal he was in a good situation during his career, doesn't mean he was the best.
      He still had to play QB all those games and win.

Again, that's weak because the defense was amazing, the run game was excellent, and having 2 HOF WR's doesn't hurt either. Their offensive line was also quite good. The 70's Steelers IMO were the greatest dynasty because of their insane talent level. Bradshaw didn't have to win games, he just had to not lose them. He was excellent in the superbowls, but he was not close to that level in his regular seasons. If he played at that level in the regular season I would put him in the top 5, but as things are, he doesn't belong there.

Elway had a pretty stout defense.. Romanowski, Neil Smith, Atwater, Traylor and Trevor Pryce... Were some of my favorite guys growing up.

Stout and having HOF'ers at every level of the defense are two different things. Yes the Broncos defense was good, but you can't honestly say that it was as good as the 70's Steelers defense was. Anyway I'm not a big Elway fan and don't believe that he is a top 5 qb either.

Elway also had, Shannon Sharpe, Terell Davis, Tom Nalen, Rod Smith, Ed McCaffrey. Pretty solid Lineup there.

Again I don't think Elway is a top 5 qb, so this is irrelevant.

Not to mention Reliable kickers in Rouen and Elam.

Farve Had arguably the greatest DE of all time.. And Santana Dotson was no slouch either, dude was massive and a monster player.

Bradshaw had arguably the best DT of all time. Greenwood was a beast, as was the whole defensive line, I would take the 70's Steelers D Line over the Packers. The Packers linebackers pale in comparison to the Steelers Linebackers. Jack Lambert and Jack Ham is insane.

He also had Mark Chmura, Antonio Freeman, Desmond Howard(Who won the SB) and Dorsey Levens Although not HOF'ers .. no slouches.

Find a team that won a superbowl that is made up of slouches. All teams that win superbowls have talent besides at the qb position, in the case of the Steelers they were amazing at just about all aspects of the game. That team was destined to win championships, no matter who was the qb.

If anyone wants to make the "Has no talent around them" SB comment, should be Marino... Mark Clayton and Mark Duper... both had 1300+ Yards recieving...

Yes, but both left midway through Marino's career. Marino also had no run game to speak of during his career to back him up. It's pretty easy to defend against an offense if you know they are going to pass, yet Marino still won games and put up amazing numbers.

Elway also took his Broncos earlier to the SB.. but His stats were about as Bad as Roethlisbergers were.

Elway in 1990 threw 10 for 26 for 108 yards and 2 INTs.
      Elway in 1988 threw 14 for 38 for 257 yards, 1 Td and 3 INTs.

Again I don't care about Elway.

It wasn't like he did amazing in the superbowl all the time. I still respect him and think he was a great QB, but there's more to it...

SuperBowl X:
      Bradshaw: 9 for 19, 209 yards 2 TD's Better than Elways....

Still don't give a #### about Elway...

SuperBowl XIII:
      Bradshaw: 17 for 30, 318 yards, 4 Td's, 1 Int.. again...

Great game, doesn't make him worthy of top 5.

Superbowl XIV:
      Bradshaw: 14 for 21, 309 yards, 2Td's, 3 INT's... again better than Elways.. in a time before the rules that opened up the pass Game.

Pretty average outing there.

I think you guys severely underrated Bradshaw and Pittsburgh Qb's in General because our Normal Preference to run first.
      I don't underrate Bradshaw, you just overrate him. Pittsburgh was a run first defensive minded team. Bradshaw was not a bigger factor than the run game and defense in winning games, so I don't give him all the credit for the SB wins. Bradshaw was in a position of little responsibility in respect to other great qb's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Severe Punishment
        I'd be willing to bet $100 bucks that the % of people (in this room who voted him as a top 5 QB of all time) who actually watched Johnny Unitas play a game (in it's entirety , while the game was being played) is under 5%.

Why not just include Jesus and Moses in the top 5 as well
        Why do we have to see him play to figure if he is one of the best? The numbers he put up in that era are kinda unreal. I would compare it to Babe Ruth's dominance of baseball.

Sig by Kramer

Comment

Elway had a pretty stout defense.. Romanowski, Neil Smith, Atwater, Traylor and Trevor Pryce... Were some of my favorite guys growing up.

Elway also had, Shannon Sharpe, Terell Davis, Tom Nalen, Rod Smith, Ed McCaffrey. Pretty solid Lineup there.

pretty solid?! how many hall of famers did john play with? how many did bradshaw play with? stupid argument.

i won't even get into the vast distortion of elway's stats and career after that as it's utterly ridiculous.

Comment

• Elway was definitely better, but the number of HOFers they had on their team shouldn't be an indication, especially with all the snubs and terribly underrated players there are out there. But, you can compare them to the teams of the time, in which case the Steelers were vastly superior to their opposition opposed to Elway's teams (granted, they were exceptional as well).

But in all actuality, the only "great" QB to never be surrounded by a great supporting cast is probably Peyton, and possibly Marino. That I can think of anyway.
            Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

Originally posted by cunningham06
              Originally posted by Gribble
              Originally posted by someone447
              Originally posted by 49ersfan_87
              Favorite 5

1. Steve Young
              2. Joe Montana
              3. John Elway
              4. Doug Flutie
              5. Rich Gannon

Top 5

1. Joe Montana
              2. John Elway
              3. Johnny Unitas

The rest is too jumbled...marino, tarkenton, young, bradshaw, etc. Not counting current guys like brady, manning, and favre.
              Bradshaw shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with those guys.
              Well, he won 4 Super Bowls.
              Yes, and playing with one of the most talented defensive units ever assembled has nothing to do with those wins? Big deal he was in a good situation during his career, doesn't mean he was the best.
              He still had to play QB all those games and win.

Farve Had arguably the greatest DE of all time.. And Santana Dotson was no slouch either, dude was massive and a monster player.

He also had Mark Chmura, Antonio Freeman, Desmond Howard(Who won the SB) and Dorsey Levens Although not HOF'ers .. no slouches.

If anyone wants to make the "Has no talent around them" SB comment, should be Marino... Mark Clayton and Mark Duper... both had 1300+ Yards recieving...

Elway also took his Broncos earlier to the SB.. but His stats were about as Bad as Roethlisbergers were.

Elway in 1990 threw 10 for 26 for 108 yards and 2 INTs.
              Elway in 1988 threw 14 for 38 for 257 yards, 1 Td and 3 INTs.

It wasn't like he did amazing in the superbowl all the time. I still respect him and think he was a great QB, but there's more to it...

SuperBowl X:
              Bradshaw: 9 for 19, 209 yards 2 TD's Better than Elways....

SuperBowl XIII:
              Bradshaw: 17 for 30, 318 yards, 4 Td's, 1 Int.. again...

Superbowl XIV:
              Bradshaw: 14 for 21, 309 yards, 2Td's, 3 INT's... again better than Elways.. in a time before the rules that opened up the pass Game.

I think you guys severely underrated Bradshaw and Pittsburgh Qb's in General because our Normal Preference to run first.
              Keep in mind, though, that Sterling Sharpe was probably the most dominant receiver in the NFL for a few years before he got hurt.

Comment

• Favre has never had a great supporting cast on offense. The year they won the Super Bowl, he made that offense great. The defense was great, they are one of the most underrated defenses in league history. Statistically, they were just as good as the 85 bears. 10 years from now, I bet you can't name a single person on the Packers offense, other than Favre. Just like its very tough to name a person from the broncos offense other than elway(from the 80s, when he took them to the super bowl.) No one did more with less than he did.
                I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow
                  Elway was definitely better, but the number of HOFers they had on their team shouldn't be an indication, especially with all the snubs and terribly underrated players there are out there. But, you can compare them to the teams of the time, in which case the Steelers were vastly superior to their opposition opposed to Elway's teams (granted, they were exceptional as well).
                  3/5 of elway's teams were not exceptional.

But in all actuality, the only "great" QB to never be surrounded by a great supporting cast is probably Peyton, and possibly Marino. That I can think of anyway.
                  i have no idea what you're trying to say. if you're implying that peyton had as little talent as marino... well, i'm curious how you came to that conclusion.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                    Originally posted by thetedginnshow
                    Elway was definitely better, but the number of HOFers they had on their team shouldn't be an indication, especially with all the snubs and terribly underrated players there are out there. But, you can compare them to the teams of the time, in which case the Steelers were vastly superior to their opposition opposed to Elway's teams (granted, they were exceptional as well).

i have no idea what you're trying to say. if you're implying that peyton had as little talent as marino... well, i'm curious how you came to that conclusion.
                    I think Elway's teams got underrated considerably, but I don't imagine that argument getting anywhere.

As for comparing Marino and Manning's teams, well, no, that's not what I was saying at all.
                    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• One thing people forget. Bradshaw made the players around him better. Very true that there are alot of hall of fame guys on the Steelers, but another qb on that team wasn't the one getting them the ball. I guess for all you Elway lovers out there, he just couldn't nake the players around him better. Also your argument for saying he had nobody around him holds no water. He didn't play defense and last time I checked it was a team effort to get to the superbowl. Isn't that what you Elway people are saying? If he was so great, he wouldn't have stunk the joint up in his superbowl appearences. Even the one in 97 when he had everything around him, he still stunk. I'm not saying that Elway isn't a hall of famer, but don't even try to play the crying game against Bradshaw. Fact is, Bradshaw was a better big game qb and history has shown it. Bradshaw 4-0 in superbowls, Elway 2-3. Nuff said.

Comment

• ELWAY DIDNT HAVE A SINGLE HALL OF FAMER ON HIS TEAM IN ANY OF THOSE SUPER BOWLS!!!! BRADSHAW HAD 8 HALL OF FAME TEAMMATES!!! WHAT ABOUT THAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?

Stoner, earlier in the thread I said that Favre had one great player on offense, Sterling Sharpe. But Sharpe got hurt before his MVP years.
                        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow
                          Originally posted by njx9

I think Elway's teams got underrated considerably, but I don't imagine that argument getting anywhere.

As for comparing Marino and Manning's teams, well, no, that's not what I was saying at all.
                          elway's 97 and 98 super bowl teams were underrated. his late 80's and early 90's teams were most definitely not. vance johnson, mark jackson and ricky nattiel weren't making anyone worry during game planning, and the broncos running game (for most of that period) was atrocious.

the only "great" QB to never be surrounded by a great supporting cast is probably Peyton
                          i see no other way that can be interpreted than with you saying that peyton has no talent around him.

Comment

• Top 5 All-time Quarterbacks
                            1. Montana - Just the best ever
                            2. Favre - 3 MVP's, almost every record, Got a ring, and the toghest man alive
                            3. Elway
                            4. Marino
                            5. Unitas

Sorry but no list can compare to that top 5
                            Dedicated to the chase for back-to-back Superbowl titles. New York Giants for life.

Comment

• Originally posted by njx9
                              Originally posted by njx9

elway's 97 and 98 super bowl teams were underrated. his late 80's and early 90's teams were most definitely not. vance johnson, mark jackson and ricky nattiel weren't making anyone worry during game planning, and the broncos running game (for most of that period) was atrocious.
                              They actually had some pretty good defenses. Nothing like the Steelers or Cowboys or whomever, but certainly more than they're being given credit for. But I don't see that point getting anywhere.

the only "great" QB to never be surrounded by a great supporting cast is probably Peyton
                              i see no other way that can be interpreted than with you saying that peyton has no talent around him.
                              I actually don't see what you can't comprehend about this. I am saying he has considerably less talent on his teams opposed to most other HOF/HOF-worthy QBs beyond Marino, but that's it.

Comment

• Who did Favre have on offense? Favre will have played with 1 hall of famer in his career. Same with Elway, and Elways was only for a year. Favres was on defense. I would take the Colts offense over anything the Packers or the Broncos ever had on offense.
                                Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information