Mike Minters retires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Minters retires

i just seen it on the bottom line of ESPN. The panthers were already weak at Safety and this doesn't help

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher

We went to the Super Bowl with Deon Grant and Mike Minter as our safeties, two years later we went to the NFC Championship Game with Marlon McCree and Mike Minter as our safeties. The pressure has and always will be on our defensive line to make plays. As long as our defensive line and three quality cornerbacks stay healthy, we'll be fine with whoever we decide to put back there. It'll likely be Chris Harris and Nate Salley.

Comment

I guess this explains why they made that trade with the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
        We went to the Super Bowl with Deon Grant and Mike Minter as our safeties, two years later we went to the NFC Championship Game with Marlon McCree and Mike Minter as our safeties. The pressure has and always will be on our defensive line to make plays. As long as our defensive line and three quality cornerbacks stay healthy, we'll be fine with whoever we decide to put back there. It'll likely be Chris Harris and Nate Salley.
        yea but Tim Lewis is your secondary coach (insert crazy laughing for multiple hours)
        We ALL bleed scarlet
        New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
        UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
        Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
        BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
          yea but Tim Lewis is your secondary coach (insert crazy laughing for multiple hours)
          He's actually the perfect pick. With Pittsburgh he loved to blitz so he can teach our corners how to play well on an island, and how to blitz off the edges and he's experienced running an almost exclusively zone defense so he can show the new safeties how we run our scheme.

He pretty much mirrors Trgovac and Fox, aggressive one minute, playing in zone the next.

Nice job, knowing what you're talking about though.

As for Minter retiring, we'll miss his mentoring and his leadership more than his on-field ability.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
            He's actually the perfect pick. With Pittsburgh he loved to blitz so he can teach our corners how to play well on an island, and how to blitz off the edges and he's experienced running an almost exclusively zone defense so he can show the new safeties how we run our scheme.

He pretty much mirrors Trgovac and Fox, aggressive one minute, playing in zone the next.

As for Minter retiring, we'll miss his mentoring and his leadership more than his on-field ability.
            yea Giants fans thought the same way before he had Willy Joseph covering Brian Westbrook. try watching the defense he's coached so horrilbly the past 2 years and come to me about knowing what I'm talking about. he also had Corey Webster, who excelled h is whole college career in man, play zone the whole time. We went from Fox to Lewis at DC, and there was a HUGE drop off but of course, i dont know what I'm talking about.
            Last edited by scottyboy; 08-06-2007, 07:00 PM.
            We ALL bleed scarlet
            New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
            UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
            Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
            BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

I think you'll like Chris Harris. He's a good hitter, good tackler, good teammate when he was in Chicago. He'll get caught out of place in coverage sometimes. I think he's a solid player. You'll see that if he can get used to the defense quickly.
              I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

Originally posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
                I think you'll like Chris Harris. He's a good hitter, good tackler, good teammate when he was in Chicago. He'll get caught out of place in coverage sometimes. I think he's a solid player. You'll see that if he can get used to the defense quickly.
                I agree. He looked pretty good when playing for the Bears.

Comment

Thanks man, I just spent 15 minutes straight laughing.

Lewis is a turd, his horrendous play calling was only eclipsed by his horrible job with our secondary.

Comment

You do realise under tim lewis the steelers D helped them win a divisional title 2 out of three years. The problem is new york is your secondary and head coach are useless.

He's only got 24 years experience in regards to defensive back.

Comment

You do realise under tim lewis the steelers D helped them win a divisional title 2 out of three years. The problem is new york is your secondary and head coach are useless.

He's only got 24 years experience in regards to defensive back.
                      I didn't follow him much in Pittsburgh, but watching how he ruined Corey Websters career and turned Madison into a terrible starter I have absolutely no faith in his abilities to coach. Also before his impact on Gibril he was potential quality starter, now he's a below average starter and likely doomed to remain that way unless Spags really changes his game.

Comment

i think Lewis is taking a lot of negatives. Cant always play the coach. Secondary depends on the front 7. What could Lewis have done wrong? Did he teach Webster/Madison to get burned? 1s a young player..probably somewhat of a bust while the other is 40 yrs old.

unfair to judge a coach like that.

Comment

Regardless, this series of events makes the trade with the Bears pretty smart if Harris can perform.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I like Tim Lewis as a positional coach. I think he knows technique and will benefit from the positional focus, rather than overall strategy. He has a strong relationship with John Fox already, so he can fit right in.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Ummmm, Tim Lewis agressive?

*bursts out laughing for 20 minutes straight*

I follow the Xs and Os of the game religiously, and Tim Lewis is arguably the worst defensive coordinator I can recall of the past 10 years or so. Don't even get me started on having CBs play their WR 15 yards deep on 3rd and 3, or having William Joseph cover Brian Westbrook.

Now as a positional coach, maybe theres hope. But what you said is off on so many levels. Tim Lewis was killed in Pittsburgh for his lack of blitzing. Ask any Pittsburgh fan how they feel about him. Its no coincidence that the Pitt defense became MUCH better once he left. With the same players might I add.

But like I said, he can't do TOO much harm just as a positional coach. Its not like he's coordinating the defense anymore.

As for Fox's scheme, you guys should be ok. It doesn't put much emphasis on safety play. As long as you have a good run stopping presence at Safety, youre fine. The corners are a solid trio if Lucas can stay healthy, and the LB core is solid in coverage as well if healthy. Thomas Davis can take care of the TE no problem.

My main concern would be the dline. Jenkins, lets face it, isn't the same anymore and Rucker is getting older. The pressure from the front 4 could suffer this year. Peppers needs more help from a passrushing standpoint.
                              Last edited by bigbluedefense; 08-07-2007, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information