No announcement yet.

Honor Your Contract?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At this point, it's not in either side's best interest to have the holdout go on any more. Revis has cost himself a chance to start the season as a starter, and the Jets haven't had a chance to get him into practices and drills. This is a bad situation.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
      I personally think holding out while under contract is wrong. Players sign a contract and if the want to be paid based on their production they should sign an incentive laden contract.

They don't because if they have a bad year they don't exactly give the money back based on the terrible production. Teams can cut the player, but the guranteed money never goes back. If a player is not under contract and holds out I have no problem with that (Asante Samuel). Besides, most contracts are back loaded so that both the player and the team know that the 6 year extension is really a 3 year contract.
      Like he could have gotten a $50 million contract as the #27 pick.

Comment

If a player is not under contract and holds out I have no problem with that.
        If your not under contract how can you hold out you don't have a team?

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
          If your not under contract how can you hold out you don't have a team?
          If you are franchised. Techinically I guess that is considered a hold out if you didn't sign the tag.

Comment

The Jets own Revis' rights, so he does have a team.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Under a franchise tag, the team still controls the players' rights, so, like a draft pick, the franchised player is still affiliated with the team.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                The Jets own Revis' rights, so he does have a team.
                I'm not taking about rookies I'm taking about players that have proving what they can do I don't think rookies should have the right to hold out my self. If a player like Lj has out played his rookie deal I don't see why he can't ask for more money if he would have sucked they would have asked him to take a pay cut.

Comment

If LJ wants to hold out for a better deal, he should. Let's say LJ demands $60 million (I just picked a random number). Some questions need to be answered at that point. Does the Chief's organization believe he's worth $60 million of production for the life of the contract? Do they believe that money can be better spent elsewhere? Does LJ believe he'll be able to consistently perform at a high enough level to merit $60 million over the life of the contract? If they agree on all of these points, they sign the man. Otherwise, part ways and hope he doesn't tear up your team too much next time you two meet.
                  http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7367/sf0qg.png

Just catch the ball...

Comment

I'm not taking about rookies I'm taking about players that have proving what they can do I don't think rookies should have the right to hold out my self. If a player like Lj has out played his rookie deal I don't see why he can't ask for more money if he would have sucked they would have asked him to take a pay cut.
                    Any player that is not an UFA may or may not be under contract, but they can't go to another team.

The teams own their rights. If you don't sign your tender you can't just pack up and leave to go to another team.

If you 'outplay' your rookie contract then you get a big payday when you sign your second contract or you can ASK to renegotiate your deal. If the team choses to renegotiate then fine, but if they don't you shouldn't hold out.

You may ask, well why would any team offer to renegotiate then? Because in the long run the deal you sign will be less expensive than if you wait to hit the open market. Also, it may make the player less likely to sign with the same team regardless of money if they don't. The player still has leverage but I think they should play through their contract regardless.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                    I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

Holding out is never the right solution for a player looking for a new contract or a contract extension. For starters, it hurts the team b/c in most cases it is a player that will start and make a big time impact. Without him in camp the team can't create a chemistry or flow to their unit becuase an important piece is missing; there are the backups but they'll be replaced when he comes back and then they'll have to make adjustments to his style of play. Also the player is hurting himself becuase although he works out at a private facility he is not getting the reps or conditioning that his other teammates are getting that is setting them up to be successful for the game of football. Financially for players in LJ's case they are also losing money due to fines b/c they are not there participating, and they are costing themsleves there too. For a player to handle this right, they should go to management and present their concerns about how they are being treated financially. Nobody wins when a player holds out; the team is missing an important piece of the puzzle, the agent gets a bad rap for having a player that holds out, and the player loses the most by not being with the team and being fined.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

If LJ played out his rookie deal he would be 30 years old you really think any one would break the bank for 30 year old RB? To get mad at the guy for doing what you me or any one else would do is crap. If any one on here says they would not hold out after what he has done and what he is getting paid is lieing.

Comment

I'm not lying. I would play out my contract. But on the other hand, I might not have been so stupid as to sign a rookie deal that puts me at 30 years old when it runs out without some serious escalators.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                          I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

If LJ played out his rookie deal he would be 30 years old you really think any one would break the bank for 30 year old RB? To get mad at the guy for doing what you me or any one else would do is crap. If any one on here says they would not hold out after what he has done and what he is getting paid is lieing.
                            LJ has to think about the future, and that's what he's doing. I think he's got a good 4-5 years left since he's only 28 and has only carried the load for 3 seasons.

Comment

I'm not lying. I would play out my contract.
                              There is no way if you played in the NFL and was top five at your position and backs ups on another team got paid more then you that you would be fine with it.

Comment

I'm not lying. I would play out my contract. But on the other hand, I might not have been so stupid as to sign a rookie deal that puts me at 30 years old when it runs out without some serious escalators.
                                But what choice did he have? His slot designated 6 years for a certain amount, the team wasn't going to put on huge escaltors just for him. If he sat out the season and KC didn't cave he'd be completely screwed next season, making alot less for just aslong of a deal.
                                "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information