Honor Your Contract?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fitzgerald11 View Post
    You said that you would play out the contract. That to me and probably everyone else implies that you think he should play out the contract and shouldn't renogotiate the contract.
    Well, you may want to read the body of the first post of both the first poster and try reading my responses. You'd get a better understanding of what I said if you actually read the words rather than assuming you know without. I doubt that the majority of people on this forum would come to the same conclusion as you regarding my responses, had they read them.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
    I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

Originally posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
      Well, you may want to read the body of the first post of both the first poster and try reading my responses. You'd get a better understanding of what I said if you actually read the words rather than assuming you know without. I doubt that the majority of people on this forum would come to the same conclusion as you regarding my responses, had they read them.
      You act like if LJ asks the Chiefs to renegotiate his contract and they say no, that's it. Quit complaining, and we'll deal with it later. If you were in that situation, you wouldn't honor your contract. You would hold out until you got what you wanted. You're not impressing anybody with that answer. You wouldn't wait until you're thirty and miss out on millions and millions of dollars uoi could have gotten when you were 28. And btw, he's not going to get at incentive laden contract at #27. Even if he did, it would be for basically nothing.

Comment

The NFL chose to go with non-guaranteed contracts. The players agreed to this and have extended the CBA twice since the first permutation. The fact that employment is basically "at will", means that players are going to do everything possible to get the most guaranteed and up front money that they can. These symptoms are caused by the system. I can't blame any side for holding out or cutting players. They all agreed to this system, so they obviously realized that they would have to deal with these kinds of issues.

In retrospect, I think it's better for the league to have it work this way. Teams can escape bad contracts and give as much money as possible to those who earn it. Sure, it creates some bad blood, but I firmly believe that the current system rewards the best operators and the best players.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Holding out in TC doesn't mean squat. KC can if they want renegotiate otherwise LJ will be there on opening day anyways. He really has no recourse. A lot of veterans hate training camp and missing it won't affect LJ all that much.
          The way the exhibition season works today, the vets rarely get to play as HC's don't want to expose them to injuries before the season starts. Most teams now have to work themselves into a cohesive team during the 1st 2 games of the regular season. Missing TC would only impact rookies or young QB's still learning their trade. Other than that, its impact is minimal.
          And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
            I don't think rookies should have the right to hold out my self.
            That doesn't make any sense. If a rookie isn't free to negotiate the best deal he possibly can, then teams would be free to just pay them however many pennies they felt like giving away that day. Rookie holdouts aren't always the result of a greedy or dumb player/agent. It's a two way street. There are two parties tugging on that money rope. The teams already have all the power and leverage (and money.) You're basically advocating slavery with that statement, if you really think about it. Owners draft the slaves, ship them to their home city, and then pay them what they choose to. No. The players should have every right to holdout until they feel they've received a fair deal.

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
              Holding out is never the right solution for a player looking for a new contract or a contract extension. For starters, it hurts the team b/c in most cases it is a player that will start and make a big time impact. Without him in camp the team can't create a chemistry or flow to their unit becuase an important piece is missing; there are the backups but they'll be replaced when he comes back and then they'll have to make adjustments to his style of play. Also the player is hurting himself becuase although he works out at a private facility he is not getting the reps or conditioning that his other teammates are getting that is setting them up to be successful for the game of football. Financially for players in LJ's case they are also losing money due to fines b/c they are not there participating, and they are costing themsleves there too. For a player to handle this right, they should go to management and present their concerns about how they are being treated financially. Nobody wins when a player holds out; the team is missing an important piece of the puzzle, the agent gets a bad rap for having a player that holds out, and the player loses the most by not being with the team and being fined.
              As a player, it would be foolish to exclusively look at it from a pure football standpoint. The NFL is big business. Players deserve their fair slice. If a player feels it's obvious he's not being compensated fairly, he would be wise to seek a remedy for that. If a team refuses to pay the man fairly, then the fault lies on them if said player misses valuable time at the facility. It's on them if the team suffers. It's the team that's usually throwing their weight around in these situations. The players are merely sticking up for themselves.

Comment

1. He'll likely make way more money on the open market than with just an extension. The salary cap will increase again AND he'll be the best FA available in the entire open market.
                So wouldn't the Chiefs be wise to lock him up as soon as possible?

2. Exactly, he could blow out a knee tomorrow, so why should his current team extend him? The team has the leverage, he doesn't. Using the injury argument only solidifies why the team SHOULD NOT renegotiate. Let's say he's injured. The team loses out on the deal, so they should not renegotiate. Let's say he's not injured, the team gets his production for the current, less inflated, salary, they should not renegotiate. The only reason they should renegotiate is that they want to keep him happy in the long term. RB's are not that hard to replace so keeping him happy isn't nearly as imperative as say keeping a QB, LT, CB, DE/OLB happy.
                All those things you stated there are perfect examples of why it should be expected that a player in LJ's situation demand a deal that accurately reflects his current value. You seem to be only looking at this from the team's point of view. How can you say it's wrong to stick up for yourself financially or otherwise?

As for getting what you deserve...well, from a business point of view I think he is getting what he deserved. He was paid WAY above his production his first two years in the league yet no one here seems to think he should have given that money back.
                No, he really wasn't overpaid at all. The team drafted him knowing that they had Priest Holmes. I'm sure LJ would have been more than happy to become a superstar in that offense from day 1. He came to work everyday. He was ready to play on a moment's notice. Hell, keeping him off of other teams' rosters was worth more than what he got.

Also, to the people that say 'it's business'. You clearly don't know the first thing about business. In the business world contracts are binding. The only time you have a chance to get out of them is if you have leverage. LJ has very little leverage. The league has all the leverage. That's why there is a player's union to begin with. You don't form a union or continue a union where the employees have the leverage, it's paradoxical.
                Nice reasoning. The league has all the leverage, so LJ is the bad guy for seeking what he deserves based on market value. Like others have stated, the NFL is cutthroat. If you're not sticking up for yourself as a player, then they'll take as much out of you as they can while giving up as little as they can. I can't blame either side. Indeed, it's business. Not sure why you'd imply otherwise. There would be something wrong if we never heard about players demanding more money. There's always gonna be people tugging on both sides of the rope, and that's how it should be.

Comment

LJ deserves a new contract, just like Dwight Freeney deserved one. Briggs in my opinion overplayed his hand, he's not as vital (AS vital, he's important, but not like LJ is) to his team's succes.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                  don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I don't blame LJ for taking this tact, but the Chiefs should have acted midseason to get this deal done. More responsible franchises pride themselves on getting deals done with players ahead of time to maximize their value and to keep relations strong.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information