Honor Your Contract?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honor Your Contract?

Ok I got in to it with some Chiefs fans about Larry Johnson holding out they said he should honor his contract I say teams don't honor contracts all the time how do you feel about this. I'm just using LJ as an example teams sign players to long term deals all the time and cut them half way threw and no body says any thing then a player holds out half way threw the deal and people freak out. If a team doesn't have to honor a deal why should a player?

P.S. I know I talked about LJ and the Chiefs but I just wanted to get your take on the NFL as a whole doing this so thats why I posted it in the main forum.
    Last edited by Splat; 08-07-2007, 07:57 PM.

I totally agree, that money isn't gauranteed and if a player is playing for well below what he's worth then it's unfair to expect him to readily risk his future.

Comment

I'm not against holdouts in most cases. When a player is underpaid and in the later year of the contract I think they are fine.

But when players already making a ton of money want a new deal while they have 3 and 4 years left I think is just wrong.

I take it case by case. With LJ I think the holdout is perfectly acceptable.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
        I'm not against holdouts in most cases. When a player is underpaid and in the later year of the contract I think they are fine.

But when players already making a ton of money want a new deal while they have 3 and 4 years left I think is just wrong.

I agree, you see it a lot more in the NBA where veterans don't want to stick around while a team rebuilds. I don't blame them at all, they might as well make either really good money, or have the best opportunity to win. Especially if their having most of the workload dumped on them. LJ kinda reminds me of KG with the Timberwolves, except not as bad.

Oh, and grats on 4k post Smooth :P

Comment

No. LJ is worth much more than he's making. Sure, $6 million isn't chump change in life, but when you can make $50 million, you need to make it.

Comment

TJ Houshmandzadeh is underpaid and signed a new agent this year (Rosenhaus maybe, it was a big time guy)... He said it was just to get in more off field stuff which was the truth.

He said the reason he intended to honor his contract was because Jon Kitna had asked him if he would've been happy with that contract when he entered the league and he said yes, of course and that he would honor the life of it.

I understand some holdouts (Lance Briggs, wanted long term didn't get it... Although I know he wanted to cash in even more too) but in most cases I feel that you should honor the life of it. Right or wrong, I know the teams don't hold to the contracts but if you're a guy coming off a semi-breakout season and sign a longterm deal you sign the long term deal so you have some comfort and if you decline in ability (not to the point of getting cut of course) you still have a contract.

I understand the other side of the fence, I just feel you should honor what you negotiated for.

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post

Thats what I'm trying to get threw there heads LJ got a seven year deal as a rookie he has played four years of the deal if things don't change he will make 1.9 million this year while Turner in SD a back up makes 2.5 thats not right.

Comment

Personally, I have no problems with players holding out. Situations and circumstances arise which do not conform with players current contract. A player should be allowed to question his contract.

Comment

I think Rookie deals are unfair to begin with, great for top picks, terrible for lower ones. LJ had no choice in his contract, as a rookie for his slot his salary and contract years were pre-determined.
                  "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

If the player in his rookie contract and is playing in an elite level I think the gm should give the player a new contract. You never know when its your last game and you are giving the team 100% every play. You are turning yourself into an elite player so you can help the team win.

Comment

I'm glad they changed the rules. Picks 1-16 can only get at most a 6-year deal. Picks 17-32 can only get at most a 5-year deal. This would be LJ's last year.

Comment

I personally think holding out while under contract is wrong. Players sign a contract and if the want to be paid based on their production they should sign an incentive laden contract.

They don't because if they have a bad year they don't exactly give the money back based on the terrible production. Teams can cut the player, but the guranteed money never goes back. If a player is not under contract and holds out I have no problem with that (Asante Samuel). Besides, most contracts are back loaded so that both the player and the team know that the 6 year extension is really a 3 year contract.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                        I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

I agree with this post, although I am against rookie holdouts. It's ridiculous that Revis has broken the Jets streak of nine years getting their top pick in camp, and on the same side, Mangini and Tannebaum should lose the ego and give him his five year deal. You can't go all camp withput the guy you traded up to get.

Designs by Thule

Comment

In the end, holdouts end up hurting the players more than the team. When a player holds out, it allows backups to get time in front of the coaches. Moreover, it's very hard to stay in 100% football shape while holding out. In the end, the player may get his contract, but it will take him some time to get back to where he was. It could be damaging to him.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan_VIlma View Post
                              I agree with this post, although I am against rookie holdouts. It's ridiculous that Revis has broken the Jets streak of nine years getting their top pick in camp, and on the same side, Mangini and Tannebaum should lose the ego and give him his five year deal. You can't go all camp withput the guy you traded up to get.
                              The Jets are wrong on this one. Everyone around where Revis was picked has received 5 year deals. Jets should just give in now and get him into camp ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information