No announcement yet.

Biggest Drop-off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off the top of my head, I would say the Titans & Chiefs.
    The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
      And our offense wasn't a little shaky last year? Yet we still made the playoffs.
      Yet, you lost your starting quarterback and Larry Johnson is worn out.

Comment

The Bears due to the super bowl losers curse. I am superstitious.

Sig by Hitman D.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
          Larry Johnson is worn out.
          Ya Larry Johnson is worn out from starting one and a half seasons at 27 years old the guy is old and washed up.
          Last edited by Splat; 08-09-2007, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
            I wouldn't be suprised with the Colts. They've lost their LT and their CBs aren't very deep and talented. Booger is also out for the year meaning their run defense will suffer.
            If there's one thing that the Colts' CB's are, it's deep. They've drafted a ton of corners the last few years and the guys in place have a lot of potential, it just comes down to whether or not they can live up to it. It's not like you need to have great corners for the Cover 2 anyway, Harper and David were nothing too special.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club

Comment

The Saints. They honestly weren't that great of a team last year, their defense is still weak and they have very little depth on offense

Other candidates include the Jets (feasted on a weak schedule last year) and Giants (obvious reasons)

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                Ya Larry Johnson is worn out from starting one and a half seasons at 27 years old the guy is old and washed up.
                Oh I'm sorry but carrying the ball 752 times over two seasons is being worn out where I come from. Maybe in that fantasy land of Kansas City you don't think it'll have an effect on him but everyone who has carried the ball 370 or more times in a season didn't do well the following. Let's start with the most recent...

Shaun Alexander 2006: 370 carries, 1880 yards, 5.1 AVG
                Shaun Alexander 2007: 252 carries, 896 yards, 3.6 AVG

Curtis Martin 2005: 371 carries, 1697 yards, 4.6 AVG
                Curtis Martin 2006: 220 carries, 735 yards, 3.3 AVG

Jamal Lewis 2003: 387 carries, 2066 yards, 5.3 AVG
                Jamal Lewis 2004: 235 carries, 1006 yards, 4.3 AVG

Ricky Williams 2002: 383 carries, 1853 yards, 4.8 AVG
                Ricky Williams 2003: 392 carries, 1372 yards, 3.5 AVG

Edgerrin James 2000: 387 carries, 1709 yards, 4.4 AVG
                Edgerrin James 2001: 151 carries, 662 yards, 4.4 AVG

Jamal Anderson 1998: 410 carries, 1846 yards, 4.5 AVG
                Jamal Anderson 1999: 19 carries, 59 yards, 3.1 AVG

Terrell Davis 1998: 392 carries, 2008 yards, 5.1 AVG
                Terrell Davis 1999: 67 carries, 211 yards, 3.1 AVG

As you can see when someone carries the load 370+ times in a year the following year they either get hurt or their production drops off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
                  Oh I'm sorry but carrying the ball 752 times over two seasons is being worn out where I come from. Maybe in that fantasy land of Kansas City you don't think it'll have an effect on him but everyone who has carried the ball 370 or more times in a season didn't do well the following. Let's start with the most recent...

Shaun Alexander 2006: 370 carries, 1880 yards, 5.1 AVG
                  Shaun Alexander 2007: 252 carries, 896 yards, 3.6 AVG

Curtis Martin 2005: 371 carries, 1697 yards, 4.6 AVG
                  Curtis Martin 2006: 220 carries, 735 yards, 3.3 AVG

Jamal Lewis 2003: 387 carries, 2066 yards, 5.3 AVG
                  Jamal Lewis 2004: 235 carries, 1006 yards, 4.3 AVG

2002: 383 carries, 1853 yards, 4.8 AVG
                  Ricky Williams 2003: 392 carries, 1372 yards, 3.5 AVG

Edgerrin James 2000: 387 carries, 1709 yards, 4.4 AVG
                  Edgerrin James 2001: 151 carries, 662 yards, 4.4 AVG

Jamal Anderson 1998: 410 carries, 1846 yards, 4.5 AVG
                  Jamal Anderson 1999: 19 carries, 59 yards, 3.1 AVG

Terrell Davis 1998: 392 carries, 2008 yards, 5.1 AVG
                  Terrell Davis 1999: 67 carries, 211 yards, 3.1 AVG

As you can see when someone carries the load 370+ times in a year the following year they either get hurt or their production drops off.
                  Alexander - Was in his 5th year as a starter.

Martin - Was in his 10th year as a starter.

Lewis - Was in his 4th year as a starter.

Williams - Was in his 4th year as a starter.

And so on and so on it is not the same thing LJ was in his first year as a starter and he only started one year in college he didn't have the same kinda mileage going in as those players. I'm not saying he is going to play ten years but to say he is worn down and done after one full season and at 27 years old is to much.

Comment

Originally posted by nfrillman View Post
                    The Giants and Chiefs seem to be a pretty obvious choice. I also think that the Saints and Titans qualify. I liked the story of the Saints last year and I was rooting for them to win the Super Bowl, but I think people need to remember that they were 10-6 last year, not an amazing 13-3 or 14-2 record. Their defense could become an issue for them. I liked watching Vince Young last year, but statistically he wasn't very good. On top of that, the Titans have virtually nothing else.

As far as a team that I think will struggle and everyone else thinks will be good, its the 49ers. I have argued my stance on this several times before, so I will just sum it up. The 49ers had one of the worst points differentials in the NFL, which means that in a typical season they would not have gone 7-9. Meaning they were lucky to have that 7-9 record. Alex Smith made great strides last season, mostly because he was striding forward from being utterly atrocious. Even with that stride forward, he was 22nd in QB rating. Their WR corps are very weak, better than last year, but still weak. Their defense was terrible last season and I doubt that the additions of Clements, Banta-Cain, and Willis will make that much of a difference. Clements is certainly a good CB, but any time a list of overrated CB's comes up, his name is mentioned. Banta-Cain is an amazingly overrated signing. He has 90 tackles in 4 seasons, and just 42 last season. Yeah, that definitely qualifies as season changing play. Willis is a rookie, he will be good, but expecting him to make a huge difference is asking quite a bit.
                    So let me sum it up. 49ers improved in almost every area from last year. But they will struggle more than last year? Great argument.

You say our wr corps is still weak... Darrell Jackson is weak? i guess 9 receptions for 179 yds and 2 tds in two games against your defense is weak. They also get Vernon Davis back this year who will probably be big in the red zone/3rd downs where we really struggled.

The said the defense added Banta-Cain, Clements and Willis and that wouldn't make a big impact. What about adding 5 starters to a defense? That means we have better depth and better starters.

Throw the point differentials out the window. The only thing that matters is wins and losses. The point differential is really because of 3 games in which the 49ers were just blown out and admittedly played like crap.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
                      And our offense wasn't a little shaky last year? Yet we still made the playoffs.
                      You lost your starting QB, the OL is rebuilding, and your star RB is holding out. Not exactly a recipe for success...

Comment

To those that answered Indy, can I ask why? The only significant losses the Colts suffered were Tarik Glenn (which, admittedly, could be a big loss), Booger McFarland to injury (again, could be big), and Nick Harper. Dominic Rhodes was essentially a backup, and Jason David and Cato June were average starters, the kind the Colts constantly replace (while having 50 wins in the last 4 years). As for Brandon Stokley, Montae Reagor, and Corey Simon, they didn't contribute very much if at all to last year's team, so the loss of those players are basically irrelevant. I'd just like to know why people would pick the Colts. I know they didn't have the greatest of offseasons on paper (but we all know how relevant "on paper" is), but I don't think they had the worst either.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                        <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                          Alexander - Was in his 5th year as a starter.

Martin - Was in his 10th year as a starter.

Lewis - Was in his 4th year as a starter.

Williams - Was in his 4th year as a starter.

And so on and so on it is not the same thing LJ was in his first year as a starter and he only started one year in college he didn't have the same kinda mileage going in as those players. I'm not saying he is going to play ten years but to say he is worn down and done after one full season and at 27 years old is to much.
                          There is no way anyone's body can withstand the amount of carries LJ has been getting and not get injured. I'm sorry but it's impossible.

Comment

the chiefs n titans for me. idk ill think of someone else later
                            Bubba kush for breakfast, with my captain crunch
                            I smoke ten blunts before lunch
                            Gucci Mane

Comment

yeah but the chiefs D didn't upgrade at any position.
                              my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                              <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                              <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                              <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                              Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                              What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by no love View Post
                                So let me sum it up. 49ers improved in almost every area from last year. But they will struggle more than last year? Great argument.

You say our wr corps is still weak... Darrell Jackson is weak? i guess 9 receptions for 179 yds and 2 tds in two games against your defense is weak. They also get Vernon Davis back this year who will probably be big in the red zone/3rd downs where we really struggled.

The said the defense added Banta-Cain, Clements and Willis and that wouldn't make a big impact. What about adding 5 starters to a defense? That means we have better depth and better starters.

Throw the point differentials out the window. The only thing that matters is wins and losses. The point differential is really because of 3 games in which the 49ers were just blown out and admittedly played like crap.
                                Okay, I have discussed this many times before and don't really want to get into another debate about this. Check out the NFC West thread if you want to read up on what myself and some other 49er fan were debating. If simply feeling that you have improved in the offseason automatically meant the team would be better, there would be about 25 teams a year making the playoffs. As for Jackson, he is definitely an improvement on the number 1 from last year, but he is by no means an elite WR. Bringing up individual game performances is rather ridiculous too, especially when it is against the Rams, since many a player have had career games against the Rams the past few years. I don't know what more I have to say to get 49er fans to understand where I am coming from. The 49ers are not going to finish .500 or above, as my sig says. Just wait and see, if you are still on this site by the time the 49ers have proven they aren't very good I will send you a little reminder of my immense knowledge. If you wish to do some sort of signature bet I am willing, my deal is that the Rams will have a better record than the 49ers.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information