Biggest Drop-off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
    Yet, you lost your starting quarterback and Larry Johnson is worn out.
    And what makes you think Larry Johnson is worn out? That is complete speculation on your part. Counting the playoffs Emmitt Smith went over 400 carries three times in his career, all three times being early in his career. That didn't wear him out. If we get LJ back in camp he will have missed all of training camp and likely all of the preseason. He will be plenty fresh.

And we LOST our starting QB? If we wanted to keep Green we would have. Green sucked last year. Huard is currently a better QB than Green is and Brodie Croyle is much more talented than both of them and has the potential to be a much better player than either of them.

Comment

Oh I'm sorry but carrying the ball 752 times over two seasons is being worn out where I come from. Maybe in that fantasy land of Kansas City you don't think it'll have an effect on him but everyone who has carried the ball 370 or more times in a season didn't do well the following. Let's start with the most recent...

Shaun Alexander 2006: 370 carries, 1880 yards, 5.1 AVG
      Shaun Alexander 2007: 252 carries, 896 yards, 3.6 AVG

Curtis Martin 2005: 371 carries, 1697 yards, 4.6 AVG
      Curtis Martin 2006: 220 carries, 735 yards, 3.3 AVG

Jamal Lewis 2003: 387 carries, 2066 yards, 5.3 AVG
      Jamal Lewis 2004: 235 carries, 1006 yards, 4.3 AVG

Ricky Williams 2002: 383 carries, 1853 yards, 4.8 AVG
      Ricky Williams 2003: 392 carries, 1372 yards, 3.5 AVG

Edgerrin James 2000: 387 carries, 1709 yards, 4.4 AVG
      Edgerrin James 2001: 151 carries, 662 yards, 4.4 AVG

Jamal Anderson 1998: 410 carries, 1846 yards, 4.5 AVG
      Jamal Anderson 1999: 19 carries, 59 yards, 3.1 AVG

Terrell Davis 1998: 392 carries, 2008 yards, 5.1 AVG
      Terrell Davis 1999: 67 carries, 211 yards, 3.1 AVG

As you can see when someone carries the load 370+ times in a year the following year they either get hurt or their production drops off.

Then I guess Larry Johnson is going to have to prove the ignorant fans around the NFL, such as yourself, wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
        yeah but the chiefs D didn't upgrade at any position.
        Huh? Are you serious?

I guess the addition of Donnie Edwards and Napoleon Harris won't help at linebacker?

The additions of Turk McBride, Tank Tyler, and Alfonso Boone won't help on the defensive line?

And what about the further growth and progression of young players like Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Bernard Pollard, and Jarrad Page?

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
          And what makes you think Larry Johnson is worn out? That is complete speculation on your part. Counting the playoffs Emmitt Smith went over 400 carries three times in his career, all three times being early in his career. That didn't wear him out. If we get LJ back in camp he will have missed all of training camp and likely all of the preseason. He will be plenty fresh.

And we LOST our starting QB? If we wanted to keep Green we would have. Green sucked last year. Huard is currently a better QB than Green is and Brodie Croyle is much more talented than both of them and has the potential to be a much better player than either of them.
          Jeez, it sounds like every subtraction was actaully an addition, I guess nothing can go wrong this yearin Kansas City...

Or, Green actually was a better starter then Huard, numbers or not, Croyle has shown/proved nothing and if he was so much more talented, he would be the clearcut starter. Not to mention Emmit Smith did not have the same running style, or take the same hits LJ did, that may contribute to him wearing down faster, the receivers are either rookies or ineffective, the O-Line is getting worse each year, and although the defense is average, it is still not effective enough for them to win games on it...

Some of those problems they may be able to overcome, but reading what you post, you seem to feel there's no concerns at all going into this season...

Comment

There is no way anyone's body can withstand the amount of carries LJ has been getting and not get injured. I'm sorry but it's impossible.
            Sure there is. Emmitt Smith went over 400 carries three times in his career counting the playoffs and he went over 300 carries 6 other times. That may be just one player but you said there is no way so I offered one player who did it.

Larry Johnson is a wrecking ball at 230 pounds and he doesn't take alot of hard hits. He gives out hits. I will remember this thread so later in the year I can come back and rub it in your face that you were wrong.

Comment

Larry Johnson is a wrecking ball at 230 pounds and he doesn't take alot of hard hits. He gives out hits. I will remember this thread so later in the year I can come back and rub it in your face that you were wrong.
              No matter how differently you word that, LJ gets in a lot of collisions, giving or taking, his body will take a toll. It might not happen this year, it might happen next year, but its not really unrealistic to think taking that pounding 410 times, plus the playoffs, won't effect him at all. He's a runningback not a god.

Comment

Originally posted by JK17 View Post
                Jeez, it sounds like every subtraction was actaully an addition, I guess nothing can go wrong this yearin Kansas City...

Or, Green actually was a better starter then Huard, numbers or not, Croyle has shown/proved nothing and if he was so much more talented, he would be the clearcut starter. Not to mention Emmit Smith did not have the same running style, or take the same hits LJ did, that may contribute to him wearing down faster, the receivers are either rookies or ineffective, the O-Line is getting worse each year, and although the defense is average, it is still not effective enough for them to win games on it...

Some of those problems they may be able to overcome, but reading what you post, you seem to feel there's no concerns at all going into this season...
                Of course their are concerns.

-depth at corner
                -offensive line
                -injured left tackle
                -will Larry Johnson ever show up?

And why is it a problem that Croyle has proven nothing? No great player in the history of the NFL was ever great until he was given a chance to prove himself. Does unproven mean bad? Every single player drafted this year is unproven and has done nothing until they are given the chance to compete.

I guess it Tom Brady was so good he wouldn't have had to compete with Drew Bledsoe in his second year in the NFL. Just because you are having to compete for your spot means nothing. Croyle is a young player who still has alot of growing to do. That is why he is competing.

Comment

No matter how differently you word that, LJ gets in a lot of collisions, giving or taking, his body will take a toll. It might not happen this year, it might happen next year, but its not really unrealistic to think taking that pounding 410 times, plus the playoffs, won't effect him at all. He's a runningback not a god.
                  Counting receptions Ladainian Tomlinson has totals of 398, 451, 413, 392, 389, and 404 touches for each of his 6 seasons in the NFL. I don't see anybody bitching and complaining that he is going to burnout before too long. As far as I am concerned LT has much more wear and tear than LJ does. LT has over 900 more carries in his career than LJ does. LT started all through college and had 5,000+ yards in college. LJ didn't start in college until his senior season. Counting college and the NFL LJ has only started 2 1/2 years. But go ahead and keep telling yourself he is going to wear down.

Comment

Of course their are concerns.

-depth at corner
                    -offensive line
                    -injured left tackle
                    -will Larry Johnson ever show up?
                    Add to that list...

An effective Starting QB
                    LJ breaking down
                    Aging cornerbacks
                    Proven/Good WRs

And why is it a problem that Croyle has proven nothing? No great player in the history of the NFL was ever great until he was given a chance to prove himself. Does unproven mean bad? Every single player drafted this year is unproven and has done nothing until they are given the chance to compete.
                    No unproven does not mean bad. Philip Rivers was unproven last year too. But Brodie Croyle is going into his second year as a player! With 0 games started and 7 passes attempted...That's different from having time to be mentored, or learn the system...if you think he won't encounter struggles your ridiculous! Not to mention, he hasn't shown much of anything, accept maybe flashes in Training Camp that he will be a great/good QB at all!

I guess it Tom Brady was so good he wouldn't have had to compete with Drew Bledsoe in his second year in the NFL. Just because you are having to compete for your spot means nothing. Croyle is a young player who still has alot of growing to do. That is why he is competing.
                    You're comparing Brodie Croyle to Tom Brady? Tom Brady, to echo every sportscaster and fan, is the exception not the rule....His situation has no relevance to Croyle's, and even though Brady did blossom, seemingly out of nowhere, he was better coached, better prepared, and had a better team around him to help him become better. But just comparing the two at all is a stretch.

Comment

Add to that list...

An effective Starting QB
                      LJ breaking down
                      Aging cornerbacks
                      Proven/Good WRs

No unproven does not mean bad. Philip Rivers was unproven last year too. But Brodie Croyle is going into his second year as a player! With 0 games started and 7 passes attempted...That's different from having time to be mentored, or learn the system...if you think he won't encounter struggles your ridiculous! Not to mention, he hasn't shown much of anything, accept maybe flashes in Training Camp that he will be a great/good QB at all!

You're comparing Brodie Croyle to Tom Brady? Tom Brady, to echo every sportscaster and fan, is the exception not the rule....His situation has no relevance to Croyle's, and even though Brady did blossom, seemingly out of nowhere, he was better coached, better prepared, and had a better team around him to help him become better. But just comparing the two at all is a stretch.
                      So what team do you root for? I'm sure I can find plenty of holes in that team unless it happens to be New England or San Diego.

Edit: nevermind, now I see why you are posting everything you are posting. Your a Chargers fan.

Comment

Counting receptions Ladainian Tomlinson has totals of 398, 451, 413, 392, 389, and 404 touches for each of his 6 seasons in the NFL. I don't see anybody bitching and complaining that he is going to burnout before too long. As far as I am concerned LT has much more wear and tear than LJ does. LT has over 900 more carries in his career than LJ does. LT started all through college and had 5,000+ yards in college. LJ didn't start in college until his senior season. Counting college and the NFL LJ has only started 2 1/2 years. But go ahead and keep telling yourself he is going to wear down.
                        LT also takes much less big hits, runs in a completely different style, and conditions differently then Larry Johnson does. But even so, you keep acting like its some competition to who burns out first. LJ will wear down, he's had to much work, and taken to many hits not too. LT tries to avoid contact where LJ seeks it. But fine, I really don't care for arguing LT vs. LJ with a homer. It's fine, I admit and I've said before, LT only has a few years left at the top. But keep telling yourself the Chiefs have no concerns with their QB's, RB's, etc. It's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nfrillman View Post
                          The 49ers are not going to finish .500 or above, as my sig says. Just wait and see, if you are still on this site by the time the 49ers have proven they aren't very good I will send you a little reminder of my immense knowledge.
                          Quick note nfrillman:

That worst differential ever for a 7-9 team is an interesting stat, but only to those who didn't follow the 2006 49ers.

The 49ers point differential over the first 7 games was.... -101

The 49ers point differential over the last 9 games was.... -13

Big difference. The difference was the combination of new defensive starters and the young players starting to gain experience and come together.

Obviously the 49ers have alot of question marks still, but they have alot more answers to those questions then they have had in years. This team could explode, or it could be mediorce. Less than .500? Maybe, but doubtful. The Rams having a better record? They better learn to play some defense and quick.

Comment

So what team do you root for? I'm sure I can find plenty of holes in that team unless it happens to be New England or San Diego.

Edit: nevermind, now I see why you are posting everything you are posting. Your a Chargers fan.
                            Yeah I am a Charger fan, and even as a Charger fan, I can admit my team has flaws. We don't have a steady proven WR, we lost our coaches, our ILBs are weak, and our safeties will always be a concern. i could make up excuses for each of those positions, like you've been doing, but that would be pointless and solve nothing. I could easily say VJ and Craig Davis look to be stars and have potential (like you said about Croyle), or that our coaches are better off now because we couldn't win with them when it counts (similar to why you don't mind losing Green), or that our ILBs are unproven but show potential (Croyle), same with the secondary, etc.

Everyone can make excuses. I'm not criticsing you to argue with a KC fan, that's just stupid. I've given credit to plenty of division rivals, and argued about a bunch of other ones also. So spare me the "Why I'm posting what I'm posting." I'm doing it because it bothers me that someone can so blindly follow their team, they can't recognize its flaws.

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
                              I think you hit it pretty well with New York and KC. The Titans are another team that I think will as well.
                              Yeah, I was going to say the Titans as well. MADDEN CURSE!!!

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Question: How do people think the Jets will do?

I'd like to nominate them...even if I think overall we'll improve on important things for the long term. Schedule is tough as hell (unlike last years) and our luck with injuries, fumble recoveries, crappiness of opponents could lead to an 8-9 win season. It won't make people happy, but I think as a rebuilding team it's perfectly fine if other stuff (run D, pass rush, QB play, O-line play) improves.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information