Steven Jacksons goal of 2500 yards.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
    Okay, let's not get things too twisted here. Bush is far more than just a runningback, period. Hell, his other aspects that he brings EXCEED what he brings to the table as a runningback at this point in his career -- but he IS a weapon that has to be accounted for every time he's on the field. If he was merely a "runningback" he wouldn't have went #2 overall in the draft -- he went so highly because he's a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the football whether it be on an off-tackle play, lined up in the slot, or as a punt returner. Hell, I'm willing to bet money that if Bush was merely just a WR prospect he still would have went in the first round. So, to just pigeon-hold him into just the position of "runningback" is silly and it takes away from what he does on the field. When he learns to take what the defense gives him on running plays and just get 2-3 yards instead of negative 5 yards (which he has worked diligently on this offseason), he'll become a complete weapon.
    I would say he's far less then just a running back, and far more a wide receiver. Just because he's not good at running the ball, and has talents recieving it, doesn't mean he's more then a running back, it means he's better suited in other roles. And why do you think he would'nt have been drafted so high if he was "just a running back". There have been plenty of running backs drafted in the numbe two spot, who were just running backs. Reggie Bush, right now, is an average runner, and an above average receiver. But to say he's more then a runningback would imply he already has mastered being a running back, which he hasn't.

Comment

Okay, let's not get things too twisted here. Bush is far more than just a runningback, period. Hell, his other aspects that he brings EXCEED what he brings to the table as a runningback at this point in his career -- but he IS a weapon that has to be accounted for every time he's on the field. If he was merely a "runningback" he wouldn't have went #2 overall in the draft -- he went so highly because he's a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the football whether it be on an off-tackle play, lined up in the slot, or as a punt returner. Hell, I'm willing to bet money that if Bush was merely just a WR prospect he still would have went in the first round. So, to just pigeon-hold him into just the position of "runningback" is silly and it takes away from what he does on the field. When he learns to take what the defense gives him on running plays and just get 2-3 yards instead of negative 5 yards (which he has worked diligently on this offseason), he'll become a complete weapon.
      Reggie Bush is not a natural running back. He's a wide receiver playing running back. Reggie Bush got by an athletic ability in college. The holes his lineman created were open longer than in the NFL and once he got to the safeties, he was gone. In the NFL, as we habe all seen, you can't get by on just athletic ability.

Comment

• Originally posted by JK17 View Post
        I would say he's far less then just a running back, and far more a wide receiver. Just because he's not good at running the ball, and has talents recieving it, doesn't mean he's more then a running back, it means he's better suited in other roles. And why do you think he would'nt have been drafted so high if he was "just a running back". There have been plenty of running backs drafted in the numbe two spot, who were just running backs. Reggie Bush, right now, is an average runner, and an above average receiver. But to say he's more then a runningback would imply he already has mastered being a running back, which he hasn't.
        Okay, you're completely acting like Bush in entirely INCAPABLE of running the football at all which is not true. He's by far not one of the best of running the ball through the tackles in the league, but you're acting like he's some chump lined in the backfield. He had a decent game against the Giants being merely a "runningback". I'm not acting like he's mastered the position of being a runningback which is obviously false, but he does have the capability of playing that position even if it isn't his strong suit.

You bring up the fact of other runningbacks being soley picked at #2 -- that also has a lot to do with the prospects in the draft. Ronnie Brown was also picked #2 overall... had Brown & Bush been in the same draft, I would be willing to bet that Bush would have been higher than Brown because he IS more than a runningback.

You know what "label" fits Bush the best? Weapon.
        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Okay, you're completely acting like Bush in entirely INCAPABLE of running the football at all which is not true. He's by far not one of the best of running the ball through the tackles in the league, but you're acting like he's some chump lined in the backfield. He had a decent game against the Giants being merely a "runningback". I'm not acting like he's mastered the position of being a runningback which is obviously false, but he does have the capability of playing that position even if it isn't his strong suit.

You bring up the fact of other runningbacks being soley picked at #2 -- that also has a lot to do with the prospects in the draft. Ronnie Brown was also picked #2 overall... had Brown & Bush been in the same draft, I would be willing to bet that Bush would have been higher than Brown because he IS more than a runningback.
          I didn't say he's incapable I said he's average as a runningback, which I don't think you can doubt. By runningback I mean purely running the ball. I know, trust me I know, that's not the only way to judge him, because it eliminates a lot of what he does, but when it comes to just being a running back, he's average, at best.

When it comes to receiving the ball, yes it makes him a better player of course. But its misleading to say he's more then a running back, when he's barely a running back at all. How many running backs typically get 88 catches in their rookie years? Not many, and there are two reasons he gets so many passes. The first is it plays to his strengths, and the second is, he can't be effective from the running back position, running the ball, as well as other people can. Which is why he's not "more then a running back", but just a mixture of an average running back, and a good receiver. He probably would have been drafted higher then Ronnie Brown, look at the prospect he was, there's no denying his athletic ability, but like its been said, that won't always translate, and he's limited in terms of running the ball because he's relied on his pure athletic abilities for so long.

EDIT: I missed the part about WEAPON, in your post, it didn't quote. I'd definitely agree with that, which is kinda what I'm trying to say. That he can't be lumped as more then a running back, or less then a wide receiver. Weapon is more fitting. But he's not a weapon whose gonna get 2500 total yards he just won't. He'll be explosive yeah, but he's not there yet.

Comment

• "EDIT: I missed the part about WEAPON, in your post, it didn't quote. I'd definitely agree with that, which is kinda what I'm trying to say. That he can't be lumped as more then a running back, or less then a wide receiver. Weapon is more fitting. But he's not a weapon whose gonna get 2500 total yards he just won't. He'll be explosive yeah, but he's not there yet."

Yeah, it hit me at the very end so I edited it. I never mentioned that I thought Bush could get 2500 yards, but yeah, I guess we came to a mutual ground of the discussion.
            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

"EDIT: I missed the part about WEAPON, in your post, it didn't quote. I'd definitely agree with that, which is kinda what I'm trying to say. That he can't be lumped as more then a running back, or less then a wide receiver. Weapon is more fitting. But he's not a weapon whose gonna get 2500 total yards he just won't. He'll be explosive yeah, but he's not there yet."

Yeah, it hit me at the very end so I edited it. I never mentioned that I thought Bush could get 2500 yards, but yeah, I guess we came to a mutual ground of the discussion.
              Yeah, the 2500 yard part was more directed at the posts of other people, not so much yours. Mutual ground should be fine for now.

Comment

• no way he does it with brian leonard on the team now, id say 1400 - 1500 yards rushing and 500 - 600 yards recieving for jackson

and brain gets about 400 - 500 yards rushing and 300 - 400 recieving

Comment

• This thread is no longer worth my commentary. As far any Reggie Bush discussion, I will see you all in January.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information