Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kalbears13 View Post
    Do we play with 3 CB's now?
    ? 1st teamers: Bodden, E.Wright, 2nd teamers: K.Wright, Holly. I'm not gonna include Baxter until he plays.

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
      Don't we already have this thread? It's titled "Which Team?" as I recall. The premise that the title suggests (pick the best backups from around the league to form a starting lineup) might be fun though.
      I'll try it...

Quarterback: David Carr

Carr might not be the popular pick for the spot, but I don't see many other options. I wanted a guy who has some starting experience, and Carr did not look all that bad when he was in Houston either, he just wasn't a superstar. He did show a lot of improvement though, and with a decent O-Line could be effective.
      Honorable Mention: David Garrard, Damon Huard, Billy Volek

Running Back: Michael Turner

Turner could be a starter almost anywhere in the league but San Diego. He runs hard every play, and really never gives up. He also plays big when he needs to in the clutch, he iced the game vs. Indy a couple years ago, and continues to grow as a player. His only other real competition in my mind would be Betts, who also enjoyed success as a starter. I also assumed platoon guys, like Reggie Bush or Marion Barber weren't eligible, so only actual backups to full-time starters I included.
      Honorable Mention:Ladell Betts, Michael Bennett, Maurice Morris

Wide Receiver: Chris Henry, Mike Furrey

For the WR's I used #3 guys, because too many #2's serve as essentially #1's. Henry, when he's not suspended has great years, and puts up big numbers in Cincy, and Furrey is only a #3 now because Calvin Johnson is a freak, and Roy Williams is the real deal. It's hard to find guys better then these to play on your team.
      Honorable Mention: Bryant Johnson, Brandon Stokley, Patrick Crayton, Drew Bennett, Wes Welker

Tight End: Desmond Clark

Assuming Olsen starts the season, Clark was a decent/good TE last year, and could probably start on a bunch of teams that didn't use a first round pick on a TE.
      Honorable Mention: Steve Heiden, Jeramy Stevens, Bo Scaife

Defensive Line: Alex Brown, KGB, William Joseph, Tank Johnson

It was hard finding D-Line, there's not a whole ton of depth out there on the D-Line, but I may have just missed it. Off the top of my head I had trouble naming players, so I resorted to just searching depth charts, so I may have forgot some people, these were the best I could find. Tank's kind of cheap, but hey, techinically he's not a starter.
      Honorable Mention: Jason Babin, Claude Wroten, Robert Geathers (Cincy's website has him starting, NFL.com doesn't), Tommy Kelly

Linebackers: Patrick Willis, Kendrell Bell, Dhani Jones

I didn't want to include rookies, but Willis looks to be can't-miss at MLB, so I included him in there also. Bell and Jones haven't been great lately, but they have starting experience, and are good enough to get the nod over some other players.
      Honorable Mention: Carlos Polk, Brian Simmons, Abdul Hodge,

Secondary: Ricky Manning, Antonio Cromartie, Mike Doss, Stuart Schweigert

None of these guys are superstars yet, but they all have played decent to well at an NFL level, and could be starters on some other teams around hte league. Cromartie should take over as a starter soon, Manning had success with Carolina, and as a nickelback in CHI, Doss was good with the Colts and is backing up now in Minny, and Schweigart would start unless Darius was in Oakland.
      Honorable Mention: Richard Marshall, Tory James, Fred Smoot, Jimmy Williams, Will Demps, Matt Giordano, Terrence Holt

I didn't bother doing the O-Line because frankly, I had a hard enough time finding some other backups for other spots, let alone spots where it's hard to tell how much better someone else is without watching film. I'm sure I missed a lot of players, overrated some, underrated some, but it's not exactly an easy thing to do so this was the best I got.

Edit: Feel free to tear it apart, I just wanted to make a starting point for the discussion.
      Last edited by JK17; 08-13-2007, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bearfan View Post
        Raiders have best QB depth: Culpepper, McCown, Walter

this is all IMO
        You know if you're starter really sucks and you're backups are all about good enough to be #2 QBs, then you don't have the best QB depth, you have a bunch of lousy QBs. The best QB depth goes to a team who actually has a decent starting QB.

Comment

Panthers have won 16 of their last 18 preseason games, so take that for what it's worth in this discussion. Preseason is the only time our entire roster is healthy.

Comment

overall not a bad list, some people you left off but one thing I just have to call you out on....How in gods name do you have Michael Bennett as an honorable mention to Michael Bennett, sure he had a good year awhile back with the Vikes and he has the whole fastest player in the NFL stigma, but the dude hasnt been healthy in a long time, he hasnt done jack in this league in a long time, I dont believe he still has the talent he used to. Flat out I think he is one of the absolute worst backup running backs in this league and the lack of a decent no. 2 back is one of the biggest holes on the KC team because in this day and age it is all about having 2 back systems and the Chiefs by making Bennett their no. 2 are essentially putting the entire burden on Larry Johnson, and it could cut his career short.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
              overall not a bad list, some people you left off but one thing I just have to call you out on....How in gods name do you have Michael Bennett as an honorable mention to Michael Bennett, sure he had a good year awhile back with the Vikes and he has the whole fastest player in the NFL stigma, but the dude hasnt been healthy in a long time, he hasnt done jack in this league in a long time, I dont believe he still has the talent he used to. Flat out I think he is one of the absolute worst backup running backs in this league and the lack of a decent no. 2 back is one of the biggest holes on the KC team because in this day and age it is all about having 2 back systems and the Chiefs by making Bennett their no. 2 are essentially putting the entire burden on Larry Johnson, and it could cut his career short.
              The only reason I included Bennett was because I felt I needed more names to throw in the list, and he had a decent preseason game, which was fresh in my memory, and he's shown talent in the past. I'm not up to date enough on each team though to ensure that every single person I included on the list was still capable of performing well.

Comment

Originally posted by JK17 View Post
                The only reason I included Bennett was because I felt I needed more names to throw in the list, and he had a decent preseason game, which was fresh in my memory, and he's shown talent in the past. I'm not up to date enough on each team though to ensure that every single person I included on the list was still capable of performing well.
                IMO, if theres one position there is no shortage of names for as backups, its running back, because after all look at how many teams run 2 back systems. I dont think there is any more important position to have a good backup at than HB and also HB is one of the easier positions to find quality players at....Just looking around the league, look at the backups. IMO, Bennett is the bottom of the barrel. I dont mean to be criticizing you here either, just stating how I feel about it.

KC - Bennett, Holmes?
                DEN - Mike Bell, Cecil Sapp
                OAK - Dominic Rhodes, Fargas, Bush
                SD - Michael Turner, Sproles
                CIN - Irons, Perry
                BAL - Mike Anderson
                PIT - Davenport, Barlow, Haynes
                CLE - Jerome Harrison
                IND - Dorsey
                JAX - Drew, Toefield, Jones
                HOU - Dayne, Lundy, Gado
                TEN - Lendale, Chris Henry
                NE - Faulk, Morris
                NYJ - Washington, Houston
                BUF - A-Train
                MIA - Chatman, Booker
                PHI - Moats, Hunt, Buckhalter
                DAL - Marion Barber
                WAS - Betts, Blaylock, Cartwright
                NYG - Droughns
                TB - Pittman, Darby
                ATL - Norwood
                CAR - DeAngelo Williams, Shelton, Goings
                NO - McCalister?, Pittman, Stecker
                CHI - Peterson, Wolfe
                DET - Tatum Bell, Duckett, Calhoun
                GB - Herron, Morency, Wynn
                MIN - Peterson, Moore, Pinner, Fason
                SF - Hicks, Robinson
                SEA - Morris
                STL - Leonard
                ARI - Shipp, Arrington

Now on this list there are a few teams who dont have anyone as good as Bennett, but almost every team has someone better and a good portion of teams have third or even 4th string backs that Ill take over Bennett.

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information