Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preseason code of ethics

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/207699.html

I thought this was an interesting snippet from the Broncos/Cowboys preseason game. Apparently there was some sour grapes on the part of some Broncos players because of how aggressively the Cowboys were playing on defense -

Broncos safety John Lynch told Mike Klis of The Denver Post after the game, "They came out and game-planned us, blitzing every play. They came after us.

"It's not an excuse for the way we played. But I think they might have broken the code of ethics for the preseason."
    What are everyone's feelings on this? Personally, I think the Cowboys are breaking in a new scheme and need to experiment and see how players perform in the different blitz packages, for evaluation purposes. I don't see anything wrong with blitzing frequently in the preseason.
    aka KGB Chicken

I understand some people trying to make the team, but there is no need to have the 1st teamers blitzing.

Comment

If they want to show teams what they are trying and going to use in the regular season, let them. Sucks for the team against them right now though.

Comment

Same deal with the Pats/Titans game. They sent the house A LOT.

Comment

I have no problem with it. You want to experiment with your team in the PS and see what works and what doesnt, who can do what and who can't. The PS is a time to experiment and get away with it, so if they want to test out blitz packages, than thats fine.

As long as it doesn't get dirty. The Giants/Ravens game was the same way, unfortunately, some injuries resulted, but I don't think it had to do with the blitzing.

I have no problem with it Wade. Show us every blitz ya got. Show all of em. That way we'll be prepared for them in week 1 :)

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego Chicken View Post

What are everyone's feelings on this? Personally, I think the Cowboys are breaking in a new scheme and need to experiment and see how players perform in the different blitz packages, for evaluation purposes. I don't see anything wrong with blitzing frequently in the preseason.
            What you said, This is the first year under Wade. We need time to learn, isn't that the whole idea of preseason?

Comment

Well, when I was playing in a preseason game(not NFL level, obviously) and the other team blitzed, we decided to cut block. It was fun.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
              Originally posted by njx9
              do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

We have a new coach and a new defensive scheme, and for the sake of the little broncos, we shouldn't of blitzed? I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous. The point of the preseason, especially when there is new coach in town, is to polish up on the the new scheme and see it in real live action. Not to tippy toe around for the sake of some " code of ethics". We are trying to make this team better. There are somethings you can't emulate on the practice field. And correct if I'm wrong but isn't Mr. John ,Helmet to Helmet, Lynch known for some cheap shots him self. He needs to keep his mouth shut.
                Last edited by Paul; 08-20-2007, 09:43 PM.

Comment

give me a break. teams want to try what they want, it shouldn't be special rules because lets be honest, every game counts. People are trying to make teams, people want to know what they have come regular season, and people have to know what certain player strengths are. u can't control the blitz, well u better work on it for the regular season. pre season may be preseason for some guys, but not for everyone. just because u feel one way doesn't mean someone else has to. I don't think its a big deal and don't think they were really complaining to much, but if they were they need to suck it up and play better. a non issue IMO

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                  You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                    give me a break. teams want to try what they want, it shouldn't be special rules because lets be honest, every game counts. People are trying to make teams, people want to know what they have come regular season, and people have to know what certain player strengths are. u can't control the blitz, well u better work on it for the regular season. pre season may be preseason for some guys, but not for everyone. just because u feel one way doesn't mean someone else has to. I don't think its a big deal and don't think they were really complaining to much, but if they were they need to suck it up and play better. a non issue IMO

Well the first teamers aren't trying to do anything except avoid injuries. And I think that's mostly what it's about. Although I agree that I don't think he's so much complaining as explaining why they didn't look all too good. They probably were expecting, from the first team, the whole regular pre season experience.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                    Originally posted by njx9
                    do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Paul I usually respect your opinion but you don't have to degrate the entire Broncos orginization. It was John Lynch's opinion, not the entire teams. He's obviously being defensive because all the teamates of his who got injured in the game. Call us the little Broncos after looking at how we have played against "Americas Team" recently. And about John Lynch being a dirty hitter. You boys would know, having a player who got an entire form of tackling outlawed.

Comment

Broncos whining about ethics? Just play football.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerCohen View Post
                          Broncos whining about ethics? Just play football.
                          Broncos? As in Lynch speaks for the entire team?

Comment

The game they're playing is called football not soccer or baseball or basketball, blitzing and hitting are part of the game. You step on the field and in between those lines you hit or be hit.
                            HALL OF FAMER!
                            PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
                            JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

I don't see why they would blitz the first team, even if they did I wouldn't see it being very exotic. I can see doing this with the second team... The Bengals were sending the second teamers on some blitzes against the Saints this week.

Anyway, it's good for the Oline/FB/RB to see blitzes so they can get practice at picking them up... Especially the younger RB's. Granted you don't want players (EX. QB) getting hurt because of it.
                              Last edited by PalmerToCJ; 08-20-2007, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information