Thule's 10 NFL Truths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thule's 10 NFL Truths

This seems to be the educated fan thing to do. Since most of the major topics are taken you might see me go off the wall with some hunchs.

1. Most Improved for 2007
    • Let the big dogs eat. Mark me down for someone who thinks the AFC North is much more of a crap shoot than others think.
    • The steelers have the new coach in town. Big Ben is always going to be a guy who is right around 60% completion percentage. Willie is a great back but the loss of wisenhunt will show this season...I don't seem him averaging mid 4's like he has his whole career. 3.8 would be my guess at this point. Their starting D has put up great preseason numbers. But it really comes down to can you put a game on Big Ben's shoulders and I don't see it. Steelers although an overall solid team will finish in the bottom of the division.
    • The Ravens are what they are. They are going to be a top 3 defense again this year. They are going to smack you in the mouth and win the turnover battle. However McNair is another year older and still looks apprehensive when going down field multiple times a game. McGahee was an upgrade for the running game but I think his difference is going to be catching out of the backfield something that JLew wasn't great at.
    • The Bengals are going to put up big numbers. I still hate their defense. Carson Palmer is by far the best QB in the division yet he can't get out there and quarterback the defense. The defense while somewhat talented just lacks that vocal leader presence that good defenses have. With the Division as tough as it is defensively this year I just can't see the Bengals escaping with more than 3 divisional games.
    • The Browns are back. Call me crazy but I'm drinking the Crennel Cool-Aid. This team is getting very solid along the OL. Have talent everywhere on offense. If JLew can proove that he can still run hard in the league it should take some pressure off of who is in at QB. By the time Quinn get's set into the Saddle this team is going to be fun to watch. Although their 3-4 defense is still lacking some talent...they have above average corner play and Wimbley is in for a double season sack total...which will only let the other players in the front 7 to play better. This is a team that if can stay healthy over the course of the season could be looking at an 8-8 record and win atleast 3 divisional games. That is a huge improvement from a team that hasn't won a divisional game in how long?

2. The Rise of the Second Year QB
    The top 3 QB's in the league is set. But after that their is alot going on. A lot of teams went a different direction with their qb's last year and a lot of them worked. With a year in the system expect bigger things this year.
    • Jon Kitna, has another great target to throw too in CJ. Furrey and Roy should put up big numbers in year two as well. Their is going to be a major aerial attack going on in Detriot this year and it's going to be fun to watch.
    • Phillip Rivers, a guy who was pretty efficient last year should only improve. With Norv in town look for a higher completion percentage. Timing is everything in this offense and with LT in the backfield Rivers should be up around 65% which would tie Peyton Manning last year.
    • J.P. Losman, came out last year and really quieted the critics last year. The loss of McGahee will hurt but Lynch should be good enough to keep the pressure of Losman. Evans is looking to put up career numbers again and Losman is going to be putting up.
    • Steve McNair, I know I said he didn't like to go down the field earlier. But this guy still is a great game manager with playmaking ability. McNair's leadership is what is going to make that offense tick this year. With another year in the offense look for McNair to be sharp and decisive in his reads. Mark Clayton should have a career year this year if everything goes right.
    • Tony Romo, Garrett has put Romo in a great position this year. The offense is very similar to last years but their are a few slight differences. Garrett imported the timing scheme very similar to Norvs up in SD. This will allow Romo to be more decisive in the pocket not having to wait for anything to develop. TO is not just stuck as the X WR this year. He is moving all over the field. I'm sure many of people heard that he couldn't get off the LOS last year without being forced outside well this year he doesn't have to. He is moving all over playing in the slot, going in motion all kinds of things to keep him from getting shaded to the outside with cloud coverage over the top. Look for atleast 100 catches this year for TO. Romo will break Dallas Cowboys passing records in yards this year...count on it.
    • Matt Leinart, with Wisenhunt in town the attempt's may go down but the running game should improve as well as time in the pocket. With a bolstered running game Leinart won't have to see as many double coverage/help in the secondary. Teams won't have the stack the box with 8 guys but they won't be able to sit with safeties deep all game like last year either. Look for Leinart to be more efficient this year.
    • Vince Young, this could be an exception to the rule. He just doesn't seem to have anyone to throw the ball too. They lost Travis Henry. Their offense is really on his back and will go as far as he can take them. I love Vince but I have a feeling he will be the only sophmore slump QB this year.
    • Jason Campbell, another year in Gibb's system this year he has some experience on the field. Has plenty of targets this season I look for Cooley to be towards the top in receptions this year. The redskins are going to run the football which means Campbell has a great opprutunity to go down the field this year. Look for him to be towards the top of the league in plus 20 yard completitions.
    • Jay Cutler, I'm not going to go as in detail since it seems to be an exhausted subject. But yes he has that swagger, yes he has Travis Henry to hand off too to take the pressure off of him. Yes he has a huge target to throw to in Brandon Marshall. He is going to be good and improve over last year. But he will still be middle of the pack in the NFL this year.

3. Worst Team in the NFL?
    • I'm a firm believer in a strong running game takes pressure off of all aspects of the game. So right away I looked at all the teams in the league and who couldn't run. I really didn't see a lot of teams that couldn't run but I did see one who really scared me. I then asked myself how were they on defense and that answer was even worst. I'm going with the Tennessee Titans. Vince Young is a playmaker in every sense of the word...he just has no help this year. You have to run the ball and play solid defense to win with less talented teams in this league and I can't see the Titans doing it. This will lead to T.O.P. differences of double digits which really leaves up winning and losing to Vince. I'm sorry Titan fans but go out and prove me wrong.
    4.Rookie of the Year?
    • Adrian Peterson, I really don't see a lot of options as a whole anyways. But ever since Peterson made a name for himself we've been talking about him in the NFL how would he hold up ect. Here we are 3 weeks into the preseason and AD has been every bit as electric as he was at OU. He is averaging a whopping 5 yards per carry. I don't even want to think about how many of his yards came after contact. AD is going to play fast on that Metrodome Turf and he is going to be as exciting as our NFL's own Reggie Bush.

5. Which NFC Team has the best chance in the Superbowl
    Once again I'm going to look for a team with strong defense and a strong running game.
    • I don't feel like argueing about who is good and who isn't. So I'll just pick the top 5 teams from Vegas right now.
    • Chicago Bears - Well here is a team that fits that mold. The Bears are going to be tough this year. The NFC North is going to be more Competitive that most may think however they should still win 4 divisional games. Homefield throughout the playoffs will be huge.
    • New Orleans Saints - Explosive and Smart. However I just don't think that is enough to make it this deep into the playoffs. They are talented...just don't have the defense needed to take them their.
    • Dallas Cowboys - The Cowboys are a team that is really making some noise as of late. They were a top 5 offensive team and a top 5 defensive team at a point last year. But the defensive collapse lead to failure of the season. With Garrett in town the cowboys will be every bit as good in the offensive department as last year. The addition of Davis only helps the run game. The defense is the question mark on this team. The latest injury to Terrence Newman could be the downfall of their season depending on how it affects him over the course of the year. But this team is the most talented team in the NFC...if they can manage to get pressure on the QB they will be a force.
    • Seattle Seahawks - Seattle should have a good running game as always with Alexander in the backfield. Hassellbeck is a gamer I don't think you have ot worry there. However their defense is still questionable. They have a above average LB corps but their DL has still yet to play to it's talent level and they still have a below average secondary. I look for them to exit after the first round this year.
    • Philadelphia Eagles - Here is a team that thrives in the trenches. With a healthy McNabb and Westbrook this team in dangerous. If the important peices on this team stay healthy they have as good of chance as any to go to the superbowl. They are also the team that has the best chance to beat Chicago in Chicago. The one worry I have for this team is defensive leadership in the front 7. We all know Dawkins is a great pressence in the secondary but I want to see someone step up in the front seven and really lead this defense. If this happens I wouldn't be surprised to see them get to the superbowl.
    • After all that breakdown I'm going to go with dallas. Dallas has better QB play than the Bears. That'll be critical later in the playoffs. They have the mos talent of any team in the NFC. If they win the division they'll get atleast one game in Irving which is very important for this team...Dallas is not a good cold weather team. With the improvement of the OL, another year under Romo's belt, a defensive scheme to attack more. This team has the best chance to bring a superbowl back to the NFC.
    Last edited by thule; 08-29-2007, 05:22 PM.

Apparently I can't count to 10....accidentally hit the post quick reply button will have 10 up later today, after softball :(
    Last edited by thule; 08-29-2007, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Very nice writeup so far thule. I agree with the majority of that. Especially about the Titans and AD. Obviously I'm loving our Cowboys this year as well. Damn, I've gotta do one of these. Not sure I'd go as in-depth with my explanations as some of you guys have so far. But it would definitely be fun to look back on at the end of the season.

Comment

Homerism aside, you think the Titans will be the worst team in the league? Wow. Get a clue, Thule.
        "A lot of people say this and say that about us, but thatís a good thing. We want to keep it low, and we donít want all the hype going with the Tennessee Titans. We want to just keep it low. Yíall just keep talking about us, talking bad about us, so we can just continue to go out there each week and show the whole world what type of football team we are." -- Vince Young

T-minus 1 year until the beginning of the Titans Dynasty!

Comment

Originally posted by TitanAddict View Post
          Homerism aside, you think the Titans will be the worst team in the league? Wow. Get a clue, Thule.
          wow, nice reasoning backing that up...
          We ALL bleed scarlet
          New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
          UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
          Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
          BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

People said the same thing about the Titans being the worst team in the league last year. It's always fun proving the doubters wrong and doing it two years in a row could be even sweeter.

Comment

Very rare is the case where you'll find a home-fan admitting their team is a contender for the #1 pick. But from an outsiders point of view, your Titans look pretty damn weak compared to the majority of the league. Maybe they'll prove us wrong, but at this point in the season I can only think of a few teams that I'd put on a similar level. Part of my opinion has to do with the fact that most teams have appeared to improve since the end of last season. I believe the Titans have done the exact opposite.

Comment

gave a good reason why to think it though right? maybe not one that you like, but sounded reasonable to me. i think there could have been a few more teams, because a bunch cant run. Houston perhaps..

sig by bosanac01

Comment

It's def. possible...Vince Young wasnt great through the air a year ago, you have a huge question mark at RB, There is no true #1 WR on your team and the unit as a whole is nothing to brag about, and you don't have Pacman. They filled their holes w/ mediocre to average players...things dont look too good at all for the Titans, you guys took a step backward.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                  KO KNOWS

Comment

Good job, Thule. I like the rookie of the year pick :)

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                      It's def. possible...Vince Young wasnt great through the air a year ago, you have a huge question mark at RB, There is no true #1 WR on your team and the unit as a whole is nothing to brag about, and you don't have Pacman. They filled their holes w/ mediocre to average players...things dont look too good at all for the Titans.
                      As far as the WR thing goes. Drew Bennett, who everyone is saying was a key part to the Titans sucess last year, averaged two catches a game last year during the winning streak.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
                        As far as the WR thing goes. Drew Bennett, who everyone is saying was a key part to the Titans sucess last year, averaged two catches a game last year during the winning streak.
                        He was still a better option than what you guys are putting out there now. VY struggled w/ a sub par receiving core last season...now, it's worse. I hope I'm wrong, I'm a big fan of VY but, he's not surrounded by much talent at all.
                        Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 08-29-2007, 06:59 PM.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                        KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
                          People said the same thing about the Titans being the worst team in the league last year. It's always fun proving the doubters wrong and doing it two years in a row could be even sweeter.
                          You didn't do crap to prove doubters wrong, if you did you'll give a reason as to why you think they'll be good this year. Obviously you have nothing, that whys your response is the way it is. Last year you probably had doubts too, and your response was probably the same way, you THINK they will be good, but its just homer thoughts.
                          Last edited by Breaker; 08-29-2007, 08:17 PM.

Comment

the madden jinx will live on!

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                              wow, nice reasoning backing that up...
                              Fine. You can see my reasoning on the new thread I started -- "7 reasons why the Titans won't suck." I'm sick and tired of you Titan-haters. Whoo!
                              "A lot of people say this and say that about us, but thatís a good thing. We want to keep it low, and we donít want all the hype going with the Tennessee Titans. We want to just keep it low. Yíall just keep talking about us, talking bad about us, so we can just continue to go out there each week and show the whole world what type of football team we are." -- Vince Young

T-minus 1 year until the beginning of the Titans Dynasty!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information