Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7 reasons why the Titans won't suck this year...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 reasons why the Titans won't suck this year...

Okay. I try to defend my team's pride by calling Thule a fool (so to speak) when he says the Titans are going to be the worst team in the league next year. All my friends say that the Titans are going to be no better than 8-8. I'VE HAD IT! I am sick and tired of everyone hating on my Titans. This thread is dedicated to all the Titans fans who are SICK AND TIRED of ESPN, CBSsportsline, FOXsports, SI, and NFLDC posters hating on our Titans.

You want some explanation why we're not going to suck? You asked for it. Here it is ...

1. The Offensive Line

The Titans offensive line is a top 10 unit in the league, easily. No one knows this because the offensive line plays in Tennessee. We have two dependable, talented offensive tackles in Michael Roos and David Stewart. Roos is a top five left tackle who should have gone to the pro bowl last year. He is 6'7", 315 with excellent feet. He is a strong run blocker, is excellent in pass protection, and he never commits penalties. Stewart was nick-named "Big Country" when he played at Miss. St. He is also 6'7" and weighs 318. Stewart is a mauling run-blocker and is solid in pass protection as long as he is able to get his hands on the pass rusher. Inside, we have Kevin Mawae who played as if he were five years younger last year. Jacob Bell is a talented young guard who was an upgrade over Zach Piller when he went down early last season with an injury. He has excellent quickness and is a nice complement to Benji Olson, who is more of a "pave-the-way" type guard. Add in Eugene Amano, Leroy Harris, and Daniel Loper, and we have excellent depth as well.

2. The Linebackers

Keith Bulluck is consistently underrated. He hits like a mack truck and covers extremely well for a linebacker. He is a high-energy player and is the heart and soul of our defense. He is the best 4-3 outside linebacker in the league. On the other side we have David Thornton who played very well last year despite battling the injury bug. Thornton is faster and more athletic than Bulluck, but is not quite as strong against the run. On the inside we have a battle between Ryan Fowler (FA from Dallas) and Stephen Tulluch. Fowler excels in stuffing the run while Tulluch is a little better in coverage. Overall, they are also a top 10 unit in the league.

3. The Secondary

Chris Hope is a stud. He was finally able to step out of the shadow of Troy Polamalu last year and was excellent against the run and in coverage. The loss of Pacman will definitelly sting, but our corners should be improved overall, and they have proved themselves so far after three preseason games. Nick Harper (FA from Indianapolis) is solid on one side while either Cortland Finnegan or Michael Griffin should man the other side. Whoever loses the battle will probably play the Nickel spot, which the coaches consider a starting position. Our only question, really, is the free safety spot currently held by Lamont Thompson. While Thompson has played well so far this preseason (2 ints in three games), most Titans fans would prefer Calvin Lowry or Vincent Fuller to win the starting spot. Both are capable starters. Plus, we could always move Griffin to free safety and utilize our amazing cornerback depth by playing Reynaldo Hill, Kelly Herndon, or Eric King in Griff's place.

4. The D-Line is MUCH improved

Albert Haynesworth has a lot to prove after being suspended for five games last year after stomping on Andre Gurode's head. This is a contract year for Big Albert and you know he'll want to get paid. The recent signing of Corey Simon improves depth and could pay off if he stays healthy. KVB is a consistent force off the edge and plays the run well. On the other side, Antwan Odom is looking like a monster thus far in the preseason and is living up to his second round draft pick status. Throw in Travis Laboy, Tony Brown, Randy Starks, and Jesse Mahelona for depth, and the D-Line looks much stronger than last year. Last year in the preseason the Titans gave up 180 rush yards per game. This year they are giving up 80. They have 10 sacks so far (third in the league) and they did amazing against the Patriots' first team offensive line.

5. The Running Backs

Chris Brown and LenDale White have both looked good in the preseason. Chris Henry is human lightning, but still needs to work on blitz pick-up, vision, and patience. I expect LenDale to be the hammer with Chris Brown spelling him and acting as a change-of-pace back. Ahmard Hall is an excellent fullback who plows the road for the ball-carrier and has excellent receiver skills.

6. The receivers/TEs

This is the one that really irks me. Everyone talks about how much we are going to miss Drew Bennett and Bobby Wade. First of all, Drew Bennett was the king of making the amazing 40 yard catch (but probably not for a touchdown) only to drop the ball on a five yard slant on third and four. I think my girlfriend is probably the only Titans fan who is sad to see him go. As for Bobby Wade, he was NOTHING before last year when he did pretty well for us in the slot. I mean, the BEARS let him go and look at their offense! We drafted Chris Davis out of FSU in the fourth round and he should be an upgrade. Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams are legitimate starters and should do just fine on the outside. Hopefully Eric Moulds shows us something during the season, but right now I actually think Justin Gage is playing better than him. Paul Williams was a potential first round pick after his junior season at Fresno, but injuries slowed him down last year. Youtube him and you'll see what kind of talent he has. As for the TEs, Bo Scaife is an excellent all-around TE. He is a solid blocker with good hands. Some are calling him the next Frank Wyceck. Troupe is injury prone, but has shown that he can be an Antonio Gates-type player. He needs to limit his drops and concentrate on his route-running. If he can put it all together this year, that would be a huge bonus.

7. Vince Young

Where do I start? Offensive ROY despite completing about half of his attempts. Four 4th quarter comebacks. A walk-off home run in Houston in overtime against the Texans. Taking a team from an 0-5 start and going 8-3 down the stretch only to miss the playoffs by one game. Vince Young is clutch. He simply knows how to win games. All we have to do is keep things close for three and a half quarters and let Vince do the rest. If you put him in a two minute drill in a shotgun, four wide set, he is practically unstoppable. Ditto for the redzone. It is hard to explain the awesomeness of VY. He is already better than McNair ever was. Only Titans fans who watch all the games will understand that statement. Sure, McNair had some nice statistical seasons and he took us to the Super Bowl, but he didn't have the intangibles that VY has. I used to be really nervous at the end of close games when McNair was the QB. I hoped and held my breath that he wouldn't choke the game away or make a bad decision that would prevent us from winning. It's not the same with Vince. During close games last year down the stretch, I would get excited because I knew we were going to win; I just couldn't wait to see how Vince was going to do it. Even against the Giants last year when we were down 21-0 with 10 minutes left. Vince was having a great game, but Travis Henry had a fumble or two that cost us and our defense wasn't playing great. I looked at my girlfriend and told her that we were going to come back and win. Sure enough, Vince stepped his game up to an even higher level. Pacman took advantage of a couple of Eli Manning choke-throws, and Bironas sealed the deal. It's games like those that have made all us Titans fans believers. I can also understand why Texas Longhorn fans love him so much. I mean, look at the Rose Bowls that he played in! Vince Young is a winner. I fully expect him to dominate the Madden Curse this year. If anyone can do it, Vince can. I tell my friends that he is actually going to somehow deflect the curse upon somebody else -- probably Peyton Manning. If Peyton goes down with an injury this year, it won't be because of Tony Ugoh. Not only do I think the Titans will make the playoffs this year, I think we'll win the division. The Colts are much-maligned due to injury/FA losses. Their defense will keep them from winning several games. The Jaguars have the opposite problem. Their offense is a wreck. They have no WRs and more importantly, no QB. The Texans are moving in the right direction, and will probably have a solid defense this year. I just think that their offense is a year or two away.

So, for all you Titan haters out there ... when December rolls around and the Titans are on their way to a division title, don't say I didn't tell you so.
    "A lot of people say this and say that about us, but thatís a good thing. We want to keep it low, and we donít want all the hype going with the Tennessee Titans. We want to just keep it low. Yíall just keep talking about us, talking bad about us, so we can just continue to go out there each week and show the whole world what type of football team we are." -- Vince Young

T-minus 1 year until the beginning of the Titans Dynasty!

They do have some solid players (VY, Haynesworth, Roos, Hope, Bulluck, Vanden Bosch), but I do not see how you can say the DBs are solid with their best player (and arguably biggest playmaker) gone. I'm not sure how Griffin is gonna do at corner but he is a solid player so he should help ease the loss of Pacman.

The WRs are not good no matter how you slice it. Givens could be good and they have some solid TEs but they need a WR or 2 in this years draft.

The RBs are very questionable yet talented, but Chris Brown could get hurt any second and LenDale is just a huge paradox. Plus after those 2 guys there is very little.

Bulluck is good but is getting old and other than him there are no very good players in that corps.

I do like Tennessee and they could finish in the top half of the AFC and suprise some people, but I do not see the playoffs in store with little all-around depth and not too many targets for VY.

Comment

couldn't get 10?
      I'll give you reason #7 though. he's a stud

Comment

I'll give you 7, 2 and maybe 1

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Someone got their feelings hurt after reading the Truth threads.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

4 reasons why they won't be good

1. PacMan Jones Suspension

2. Losing Travis Henry to free agency

3. Lack of talent at WR

4. The divsion they play in

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Reasons they won't....

You flat out overachieved last year, you can't tell me a lot of luck wasn't involved in getting the 8 wins.

Travis Henry and Pacman are gone, VY did play a very big part in the late season surge last year but Henry/Pacman had very large roles as well.

I don't think you'll be top 5 pick but top 12 wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
                Reasons they won't....

You flat out overachieved last year, you can't tell me a lot of luck wasn't involved in getting the 8 wins.

Travis Henry and Pacman are gone, VY did play a very big part in the late season surge last year but Henry/Pacman had very large roles as well.

I don't think you'll be top 5 pick but top 12 wouldn't surprise me.
                i thought they won 7

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

At CB, WR, RB, you make young guys with potential who haven't done anything (yet) sound like sure fire top 15 units. Not to say that they won't be but it it's far from a sure thing.

Thanks to BK for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                    i thought they won 7
                    You thought wrong.
                    "A lot of people say this and say that about us, but thatís a good thing. We want to keep it low, and we donít want all the hype going with the Tennessee Titans. We want to just keep it low. Yíall just keep talking about us, talking bad about us, so we can just continue to go out there each week and show the whole world what type of football team we are." -- Vince Young

Comment

Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
                      Someone got their feelings hurt after reading the Truth threads.
                      So? ... (sniffle, sniffle)

Comment

When did Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams prove that they were legit starters?

How did your cornerback situation improve? The loss of Pacman is immense, not only for your secondary but, your return game as well. Anyway, you replace pacman w/ an aging average corner in Harper and an unproven rookie, converted Safety...I dont see how you improved there.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                        KO KNOWS

Comment

Haters, keep hating.

Comment

Originally posted by TitanAddict View Post
                            Haters, keep hating.
                            truth tellers, keep telling

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by Don Vito
                              They do have some solid players (VY, Haynesworth, Roos, Hope, Bulluck, Vanden Bosch), but I do not see how you can say the DBs are solid with their best player (and arguably biggest playmaker) gone. I'm not sure how Griffin is gonna do at corner but he is a solid player so he should help ease the loss of Pacman.
                              Not many people know this, but Pac was sometimes a liability in coverage. Not because his coverage skills were lacking, but because he'd sometimes leave his assignment and do what he'd want in hopes of making the big play. I guess he could be considered the CB version of LaVar Arrington. Nevertheless, a great talent and no one on the roster can replace him. But, what TitanAddict is eluding to is that our cornerback depth is exponentially better, even without Pac. Right now, we have 4 guys that we feel are more than capable of starting for us at CB. And aside from FS, since it's likely that LaMiss Thompson will start again, we are more than confident in our other secondary positions. To the point that corner isn't really a need in next year's draft, especially if we get Pacman back.

Also, great post TitanAddict. :)
                              Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                              Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                              Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information