Tiki Barber rips Tom Coughlin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiki Barber rips Tom Coughlin

Tiki Barber says he would still be playing football if the Giants had a new head coach.

The recently retired star running back has used his new memoir to rip Big Blue boss Tom Coughlin, blaming his former head coach for driving him from the game he loved.

"If Tom Coughlin had not remained as head coach of the Giants, I might still be in a Giants uniform," Barber wrote in his upcoming book "Tiki: My Life in the Game and Beyond," excerpts of which were obtained by the Daily News.

"[Coughlin] robbed me of what had been one of the most important things I had in my life, which was the joy I felt playing football," Barber wrote. "I had lost that. He had taken it away."

Barber has unleashed a steady stream of verbal jabs at his former coach and teammates since he walked off the gridiron in January at the age of 31 to pursue a TV career.

Barber, who landed a regular gig on NBC's "Today" and its upcoming "Sunday Night Football" telecasts, most recently engaged in a war of words with Eli Manning, accusing the young Giants quarterback of not showing enough leadership.

Most of his vitriol in the book is reserved for Coughlin. Though he credits his former coach for helping solve a chronic fumbling problem, Barber believes his on-the-field performance saved Coughlin's job.

"It's a double-edged sword, because as much as Coach Coughlin helped me, I also helped Tom Coughlin," he wrote. Barber says he believes the Giants' win over the Redskins in 2006 - which put them into the playoffs - allowed Coach Coughlin to keep his job.

In last season's final game, Barber rushed for a career-best 234 yards against Washington. The Giants were knocked out of the playoffs the following week in his last game.

He says he came to resent the way he was being treated so much by the end of last season that he decided to quit even though his love for football never waned.

In the book, Barber defends his decision to walk away from football even though he was still clearly at the top of his game, having just become the Giants' all-time leader in rushing yards and receptions.

"The fans normally only see me suited up on Sunday," Barber wrote. "They never witness the agony of Monday morning, or all the muscle-straining workouts, the practices, the blood, the sweat, and tears it takes to walk out onto the field.

He wrote that fans who don't witness the pain athletes go through can't understand why so many sports figures quit. He said that by walking away, true-blue fans saw him as a heretic, while those who saw football as a war considered him a deserter. He also slams the Giants for underpaying him, claiming he made about half of what some of the NFL's other top running backs made.

Barber says Big Blue shorted him about $10 million over his career.

He said the Giants should have won more championships over the years, but failed to do so because they have never been too smart about attracting and retaining high-caliber players or coaches.

Longtime Giants fans have never forgiven the owners for letting two of the best coaches in football - Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry - get away. Both took head coaching jobs after the Giants failed to promote them. Barber angrily rebutted those in the media who slammed his decision to announce his retirement during the middle of last season.

"It was overwhelmingly negative," he wrote. "One theme: I was a 'distraction' to my teammates. I was labeled self-centered, a loose cannon, not a team player."

The 240-page book, which Barber co-wrote with Gil Reavill and was published by Simon Spotlight, goes on sale Sept. 18.
    Do we really need any more reasons to hate Tom Coughlin?

I used to dislike Tiki, but now I'm starting to respect him. He's probably going to get himself taken off the air and he's going to destroy the Giants while he's at it. Preach on, Mr. Barber!
    Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

They're both dead to me
      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

this is garbage, pure garbage. tedginshow, it wont destroy the giants at all, they all loved when eli shot back at Tiki. tiki is just making this up, all along he's said he wanted to retire early with his legs fine and his body not too beat up. early in his career he said he would only play 9-10 years. thats what he did. as much as I loved to see #21 in blue on the field, he's an CENSORS EXIST FOR A BLOODY REASON, STOP TRYING TO CIRCUMVENT THEM now and a total cancer to the team. if any one believes this crap they dont know too much about football.

he says in the beginning how he may still be playing but then talks of him retiring early because of the pain athletes go through on Monday-Saturday. he was labeled a loose cannon and selfish player from throwing his coaches under the bus and blabbing to reporters...
        Last edited by njx9; 09-04-2007, 09:03 AM.
        We ALL bleed scarlet
        New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
        UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
        Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
        BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

I don't like Tiki Barber and I really lost all respect for him a while ago when he ripped on strahan for wanting a better contract back in 03, or was it 04? Not that long ago anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
            if any one believes this crap they dont know too much about football..
            Anybody who supports Tom Coughlin doesn't know much about football.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
              this is garbage, pure garbage. tedginshow, it wont destroy the giants at all, they all loved when eli shot back at Tiki. tiki is just making this up, all along he's said he wanted to retire early with his legs fine and his body not too beat up. early in his career he said he would only play 9-10 years. thats what he did. as much as I loved to see #21 in blue on the field, he's an @$$ now and a total cancer to the team. if any one believes this crap they dont know too much about football.

he says in the beginning how he may still be playing but then talks of him retiring early because of the pain athletes go through on Monday-Saturday. he was labeled a loose cannon and selfish player from throwing his coaches under the bus and blabbing to reporters...
              Haha. You misunderstand, scottyhomer. I hate the Giants. Well actually, maybe you didn't misunderstand, but this is just realistic optimism from me. But using the "you don't know anything about football 'cuz you don't agree with me" bit in this situation is a tad... interesting?
              Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

I used to have respect for Tiki, but now, not so much.

Originally Posted by scottyboy
                my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
                But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
                  who said i ever supported Tom Coughlin... but still its hard not to support a coach who makes it to the playoffs back to back years

ttgs, i never said someone doesnt know football cuz they dont agree with me, i said if you believe Tiki you dont know about football...
                  Last edited by scottyboy; 09-04-2007, 08:00 AM.
                  We ALL bleed scarlet
                  BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
                    Whats there not to support about Tom Coughlin. He is a coach who doesn't stand for ******** and premadonnas. He's got to two championship games in his career, and his teams have made the playoffs more than they haven't. He also took the author of this book and turned his career around from being an extremely mediocre, borderline starting RB to putting together three of the greatest consecutive years all time. You can look it up Tiki's last three years rival any three consecutive years any RB has ever put up, including Jim Brown. Not only does Tiki rip his coach, but he rips his QB. Who also he had more success playing with than any other QB. Tiki is soft bottomline. I've lost all respect for him and if he ever came to Giants Stadium again I would boo the **** out of him. And Strahan is quickly gaining on Tiki to fall in the same status in my opinion.

The biggest thing about Coughlin is the team never quits on him. Despite all the hatred Tiki has for Coughlin, he played tough almost to spite him. His greatest game as a Giant was the last game of the season last year when they needed it the most after losing many in a row and being plagued by injuries all season. Tiki may have loved Jim Fassell because he ran a soft camp and soft practices and didn't scream and yell as much as Coughlin, but the whole team (Tiki included) packed it up and quit on Fassell his last year.
                    Last edited by Jughead10; 09-04-2007, 08:04 AM.

Comment

doesnt Tiki realize his 3 best years were under Coughlin, and it was Coughlin who turned Tiki from an average fumbling back to a pro bowl top 5 RB? Coughlin solved his fumbling problems, in return Tiki throws him, not just under a bus, but under the bus in the NEW YORK media... it's unbelievable
                      We ALL bleed scarlet

Comment

both were wrong, but Tiki takes a cheap shot here.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                        don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
                          both were wrong, but Tiki takes a cheap shot here.
                          How was Coughlin wrong? For being hard on him?

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                            How was Coughlin wrong? For being hard on him?
                            yes. He should have realised Tiki is a sissy.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

What Tiki fails to say is that without Coughlin, Tiki would still be a 3rd down back.

And he says the wear and tear caused him to retire but then says if Coughlin were gone he'd still be a Giant. He should have caught that contradiction.

I have a bad feeling we're gonna have to put up with this all season.
                              Originally posted by Paul
                              Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                              Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                              These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                              MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information