Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriots caught stealing signs: football ethics question

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3012989

This is not the first time that this conversation has come up in recent months, but here is some solid material to work with here. Officials confiscated a tape from the Patriots' sideline and placed it in a sealed container to be sent to the NFL league offices to be analyzed. Not only is New England suspected of using cameras to steal signals from the Jets' coordinators, but also something to do with the helmet radio frequencies. Now, if I am correct (of which I'm 99% sure) there is no written rule against stealing signals and plays during the game, just like in baseball. But, also like in baseball, it is a bit of an unwritten rule that you shouldn't do that, just out of respect.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this? Punishment or no punishment? Should they change the rulebook? And is it generally ok to do this or is it truly bush league to steal signals?

Oldie but a goodie.

If there is no rule against it, they shouldn't be punished. A rule should also be made if there isn't one already. Although it is extremely unethical.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
      If there is no rule against it, they shouldn't be punished. A rule should also be made if there isn't one already. Although it is extremely unethical.
      I agree their asses should be fined (at the very least) for this.

lol 'it's like they know what we're gonna do before we do it', guess what, they DID.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
      don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

I think it crosses the line from competitive edge into cheating. If you can figure out someones signals while on the sidelines then more power too you, but to have hidden surveillance set up is extremely poor sportsmanship and kind of an acknowledgement that you can't win the game based on your own merits.
        Originally posted by njx9
        i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.

Comment

I think it is not fair, as well. But you can see the signal callers covering their mouths, so they are all trying to steal plays and they all know it. Not very professional at all, though.
          I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

I didn't know the pats made Richard M. Nixon club president?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

My only beef would be that it has to be an even playing field. If you have this as a "home field advantage" where you have your own cameras set up to steal signs, but the visiting team doesn't have the same technology at their disposal then it is tipping the scales too far. In this case, New England was the away team so that's not what was going on.

I also don't believe there should be a rule against it. Now the stuff about radio frequencies, that's a whole different matter, but studying tape of arm motions, lip reading etc--that's all public anyway so there's no practical way that you can truly stop that. It's important for coaches to come up with a system of communication complex enough that opposing teams can't "decode" what they are trying to communicate. That's on their shoulders.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

just more proof that The Patriots have no class.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.

Comment

Originally posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
                  just more proof that The Patriots have no class.
                  I just think it's funny how announcers say they are such a class organization, for nothing else other than the fact that they always win and have an all american QB, yet players frequently leave due to unfair contract negotiations and their players are juicing up. If they weren't so good we wouldn't consider them a "class" organization.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                  http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                  Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                  http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Don't forget Bill Belicheck never, ever gives an honest injury report. That guy will do whatever shady technique he can do to give his team the best chance to win.

Comment

remember the Giants didnt want to use the "Cooling system" that the Cowboys had last night cause they didnt know what theirs were gonna do, so they just said **** it.

Comment

Bill Belicheck is the Jose Mourinho of football (he's a soccer coach, for chelsea, same type)

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC

Comment

I'm not entirely certain, and I'm probably very confused so don't jump down my throat if I'm wrong, but didn't Brady and the Patriots have this happen to them, by Miami, and flip out about it?

Or was that a different team/situation, I really don't remember...something to do with snap counts.

Comment

Originally posted by JK17 View Post
                            I'm not entirely certain, and I'm probably very confused so don't jump down my throat if I'm wrong, but didn't Brady and the Patriots have this happen to them, by Miami, and flip out about it?

Or was that a different team/situation, I really don't remember...something to do with snap counts.
                            Now that you mention it, I seem to remember the same thing after the defense absolutely pummeled the Patriots offense. Maybe I have the teams wrong, but that is what I remember as well.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

How is there not a rule against this? Its obviously cheating.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information