Random Week 2 Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Week 2 Thoughts

Not nearly as insightful and organized as Shiver's, but I always have to give my $.02 worth.

- David Carr sucks. Thank god that Matt Schaub is proving what most AFC South fans (i.e. the only people who actually watched David Carr throughout his career) already knew.
    - The Eagles cannot expect to throw the ball 40+ times and win. McNabb is clearly isn't recovered. His footwork is all messed up, he can't plant and drive, and it's forcing him to throw flatfooted and messing his accuracy up.
    - Jacksonville messed with a good thing. Last season the strength of the team was in the running game. Then they let Kyle Brady walk and replaced Mo Williams with Tony Pashos. The result: the running game has been abysmal. Pashos is definitely one of those players that looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. Hopefully they can pick things up when Brad Meester returns.
    - Steve Smith is a god
    - Mario Williams>Reggie Bush
    - Tom Coughlin will do his best coaching job this season, but will get fired. The Giant defense is pathetic beyond belief.
    - Players not plays. I can't stress that enough after watching a defensive "genius" (Marvin Lewis) put out a pathetic defensive product on the field for four consecutive seasons.
    - Jaws was a great addition to MNF. It's crazy to actually hear a commentator actually talk about the strategy that's going on on the field, instead of just the commentators make excuses for their favorite players or going off on random tangents that have nothing to do with the game.
    - Kyle Boller>Steve McNair. I said it before the Ravens even made the trade for McNair. He simply isn't the same player that he used to be and he WILL NOT challenge defenses down the field like Boller does. Boller was mishandled his first few seasons and was Billick's scapegoat. The trade for McNair was a desperation move by Billick who was entering the last season of his contract last season. Sure, he might be a better game manager, but he's not the kind of player that's going to take the team on his back and win games anymore, which is what you need in the postseason in the AFC.
    - Kellen Clemens looked very impressive in his debut against an elite Ravens defense. I'm interested to see if he starts next week, and how he'll respond to a team that has gameplans against him.
    - Kansas City will have the first pick of the draft.
    - Minnesota just needs to give AD the ball on every play.

I think that's it. Who knows though.
    Last edited by yourfavestoner; 09-19-2007, 04:32 PM.

I was on the Kyle Boller breakout bandwagon last year and it was a very empty ship. Then it crashed and burned after the McNair trade, but McNair is more or less finished. It'll be interesting if he ever stays healthy whether the Ravens decide to bench him

Comment

Where is the Clemens love coming from? He's getting way more credit for playing OK against the Ravens than Pennington is for playing very well against the Patriots. I know Pennington isn't a QB that scares people, at least not anymore... but Clemens is? I don't see it.
      aka KGB Chicken

Comment

I don't think Kansas City is that bad. Their offense was waaaaay too conservative against us and they were clearly playing not to lose. That said, there are a lot of teams out there with a lot less things going for them (Atlanta, Buffalo) that I find it hard to believe the Chiefs will be the very worst. LJ will grind out 4-6 wins for the team, and that should be enough to avoid the top spot.

Plus..you've got to remember that while there are some organizations that will tank, Herm always "PLAY(S) TO WIN THE GAME!!!.......HELLO!?!?!!?!"

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

is KC really THAT bad? they should win 7-8 games i think, hell LJ will win at least 3 for them...

and i agree about clemens, yes pennington plays great as well, but clemens has a cannon pennington doesnt have, and i think he makes defenses work just as hard, if mccareins could catch everyone would really be on clemens bandwagon had he beat the ravens

oh and leon washington>reggie bush

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

YFS is much more direct and dare I say blunt than I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
              if wordplay were an Olympic event and you were on tv... i would have cheered for you just now.

Comment

I agree with damn near everything you wrote. I especially like the addition of Jaws to the MNF crew. Still my dream team for MNF remains be seen and the Dream Team is Mike Tirico, Mike Greenburg, and Mike Golic. Mike Cubed.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                  While that may be true, the art of semantics is a fine art to master yet once you master it or at least earn an apprenticeship in it, you will find that it is very hard to argue with you because you will prove to those that argue that you have not written in absolutes.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                  WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                    - Jaws was a great addition to MNF. It's crazy to actually hear a commentator actually talk about the strategy that's going on on the field, instead of just the commentators make excuses for their favorite players or going off on random tangents that have nothing to do with the game.
                    Yeah, isn't it amazing to get a little insight into the chess match going on within the game rather than hearing about why Joe Theismann thinks Chad Johnson is just the bestest guy ever?

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                    - Kansas City will have the first pick of the draft.
                    If they do, Atlanta will give them a very hard fought battle for it.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                    <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Barrett Ruud is becoming a force for Tampa manning the 'Mike' position vacated by Shelton Quarles. He is currently leading the NFL in tackles with 18, 2 ahead of Lanc Briggs, Antonio Pierce and Lofa Tatupu all of which are good company.

Comment

I'll admit we got schooled on Sunday but Mario Williams was a no show during that game.

Comment

Tony Pashos is not the typical run blocker you would think he'd be. He got that contract off of his play last year and the Ravens' strength on the Offensive Line was pass blocking and not run blocking. Many Ravens' fans were not disappointed in seeing him walk when the contract numbers were released.

The Eagles once again have not given McNabb enough weapons to work with and the drafting of Kolb has forced him into coming back to soon and will ultimately cost the Eagles this season. Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis are #2 WR's at best and Brian Westbrook can't do it all by himself. With injuries mounting on the defensive side, this year could get ugly very fast but it may work out since this team was going to have to rebuild and get younger in a season or 2 anyway. Plus all the off the field distractions Andy Reid had this offseason with his sons really hurt this franchise.

I said it in another thread and I'll say it here, Marvin Lewis was a product of the Baltimore defensive scheme. He hasn't done the necessary things in Cincinatti that made him successful in Baltimore. He was the architect of that vaunted 2000 Ravens' Defense, and while that can't really be replicated the blueprint should have been. Marvin has not gone out a gotten the dynamic young linebackers needed for that blueprint, instead he rolled the dice with character issues like Odell Thurman and Ahmad Brooks and he got burned. That secondary is a nightmare and the entire defense is lacking that high quality veteran presence. Not to mention Marvin has not surrounded himself with quality defensive coaches like he was in Baltimore. He'll likely once again get a pass on this season, but his seat is definitely heating up and fast.

You're preaching to the choir about Kyle Boller good sir. When Coach and Ozzie went about acquiring McNair, they must have just kept on watching tape from the Ravens/Titans battles of the old AFC Central and not the recent tapes where he's an walking injury waiting to happen with no arm who constantly checks down on plays. McNair may get the start this Sunday but if he doesn't produce I can see him getting pulled for "aggravating" his groin and Kyle will be in there.

Kellen Clemens did have a good showing, albeit when the Ravens' defense became lax and went in to that dreaded prevent defense. I swear the only thing that defense does is attempt to prevent you from winning. Regardless Clemens stood up under pressure and constant hits and was carving up chunks of yards against that secondary and should have tied the game if not for drops. Chad Pennington is a class act and deserves better but then again so did Drew Bledsoe in New England. Sitting a 0-2, the Jets need a spark to shake things up and Clemens is the guy to do that. Chad could use a couple of weeks of rest but this may be his last season as the Jets starter.

Thats my take on yourfavoritestoners thoughts, he had some excellent points and I just elaborated on them.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
                          On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
                          Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
                            Barrett Ruud is becoming a force for Tampa manning the 'Mike' position vacated by Shelton Quarles. He is currently leading the NFL in tackles with 18, 2 ahead of Lanc Briggs, Antonio Pierce and Lofa Tatupu all of which are good company.
                            NFL.com is funky, its says he has 18 on the stat leaders page, but then 24 on his page. It's not solo, Ruud has 19. ESPN has it right, Ruud has 24, Zach Thomas has 23.

That is correct comahan
                            I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                            <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                              I'll admit we got schooled on Sunday but Mario Williams was a no show during that game.
                              He wasn't a no sho, but he wasn't standout either. Okoye was their defensive guy this week getting two sacks, though he beat rookie Kalil for both of them.

But yes, Steve Smith is god.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information