Anyone still wanna take shots @ Romo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone still wanna take shots @ Romo?

Most everyone on this board knows of what I'm talking about. Indeed, most have been guilty of doing it at some point during the off-season.

"NFL defenses figured him out"

"He was a one-month wonder"

"Overrated"

"He really only had four or five good games"

"There's no way he deserved to go to the Pro Bowl"

"He was horrible during the last month of the season"

and, of course, the newest and funniest member

"He has never faced a really good defense"

So who wants to come clean?

3 games. 3 wins. NFC passing leader. Just 2 TOs. Countless broken ankles.

Listen, I get it. People were f-ed off because Romomania was shoved down their throats. His hype was loud and obnoxious, and came on the heels of a mighty brief run of excellence. The backlash that came was to be expected, at least to a certain extent.

However, the foolish--and mostly false--anti-Romo rhetoric that went around here and across the net has now been put into perspective. I never expected anyone to kneel down and worship him as the second coming, nor do I/we think that he has no flaws. But it was pretty obvious, even after last season, that Romo was a very good QB that had an excellent chance of being a franchise-type for the Dallas Cowboys.

Of course, arguing against people who have made up their minds based upon a collage of NFL Live segments and agenda driven opinion columns is practically useless, so all that the faithful had as recourse was to sit and wait for the time when the rubber would hit the road. That day is today.

I think its only fair that all the extremely outspoken critics come in and eat their share of crow for their transgressions. Of course, the road ahead holds many pitfalls and mistakes for Tony, but I think at this point that it can no longer be argued that he was a flash in the pan, or that he did not deserve the recognition that he has received at times in the past.
    Originally posted by 21ST
    He was protecting his self
    Originally posted by tjsunstein
    From what? His leg?
    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
    That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
    "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

I don't even know why we're waiting, put Casper in there now imo.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

once he breaks up with kelly underwood then maybe people will like him. until then.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post

I don't even know why we're waiting, put Casper in there now imo.

That's funny, because most everyone here wanted to kick him to the

not too long ago.

How about we just go in between and admit that the naysayers were FOS? Fair enough?
        Originally posted by 21ST
        He was protecting his self
        Originally posted by tjsunstein
        From what? His leg?
        Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
        That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
        "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I want to take a picture with his bust.
          The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
            "He really only had four or five good games"

"There's no way he deserved to go to the Pro Bowl"

"He was horrible during the last month of the season"
            I don't see how Romo doing well now changes any of this. Tony Romo has stepped up and become a very good, fringe top flight QB. That doesn't change the fact that he made the pro-bowl based on a few nationally televised performances and the dearth of lack of quality Quarterbacks in the NFC and in general didn't look good at the end of the season. He was a question mark heading into the season and has thus far answered the challenge. That doesn't mean that those statements were or are wrong.

Comment

I tend to agree with shiver, even if he is a falcon's fan, he is right. ;) j/k

Romo wasn't that great last year, but has improved vastly these few games.

Comment

I think going through an offseason after he has seen the NFL and knows he was going to be the starter was a BIG help

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                  I tend to agree with shiver, even if he is a falcon's fan, he is right. ;) j/k

Romo wasn't that great last year, but has improved vastly these few games.
                  He did have the 3rd highest QB rating at the end of last year with QB's with atleast 325 attempts...behind only Peyton Manning and Drew Brees....I would say thats good company.

Comment

Granted, but the other factors were still correct, he played poorly in a number of situations and didn't deserve to go to the probowl.

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
                      He did have the 3rd highest QB rating at the end of last year with QB's with atleast 325 attempts...behind only Peyton Manning and Drew Brees....I would say thats good company.
                      Not to mention the fact that our line struggled greatly last year and TO left a lot of easy yards/TD's on the table with his league leading number of drops. Kinda like Crayton tonight. I don't really care what others think though. People who follow our team knew last year that Romo was a very good QB who had a bright future ahead of him.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                        Granted, but the other factors were still correct, he played poorly in a number of situations and didn't deserve to go to the probowl.
                        So who deserved to be there in his place?

Comment

Let's see what happens once defensive coaches have the first four weeks' worth of game film. That doesn't just apply to Romo, but everyone in the league.
                          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                            Let's see what happens once defensive coaches have the first four weeks' worth of game film. That doesn't just apply to Romo, but everyone in the league.
                            Yeah I agree. It's a long season and anything can happen. But it's really not difficult to see how good a QB is by just watching him. Romo has a lot of talent and a ton of unquantifiable intangibles that every team wants in its QB. Regardless of what D-coordinators come up with to try and stop the Cowboys, Romo is a top-tier QB in this league at this point in time, imo. He'll certainly suffer his share of struggles this year, but everybody does.

Comment

Romo is doing well, good for him.

He still had no business going to the pro bowl last year. Neither did Vince Young by the way

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information