Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My (partial) Week 3 Thoughts

Changing of the Guard

Last year the Bears combined a fantastic defense and special teams play with a solid rushing attack and a passing game that had moments where it was productive. In an early primetime game they dismantled the Seahawks to announce that they were the team to beat. Now it has happened again, except this time it’s happened against the Bears. This year’s team still has the defense and the special teams. However, Rex Grossman has to go. No longer is Rex going from ‘good Rex’ to ‘bad Rex,’ now there is just ‘bad Rex’ all of the time. What also hurts is Cedric Benson has been unable to be a productive NFL starting caliber RB. Teams in the NFC North were reportedly celebrating when the Bears decided to trade away Thomas Jones and it looks like they were right. Without that potent running game and pass blocking that Jones’ provided, Grossman has been dreadful. I still think it’s time to put in Griese; it isn’t as if the team has a lot invested in Grossman.

The Cowboys look like the powerhouse in the NFC right now. The defense was pitiful in the opener, but since has looked very good the past two weeks. Demarcus Ware, in particular, has been a force. They don’t need the defense to be excellent because of how great their offense is. Tony Romo has answered all the questions about his long term success, and it was evident that even the Cowboys were unsure how productive he would be as a full time franchise QB seeing as how they choose to put off contract talks. Terrell Owens and Jason Witten are both among the top-5 at their respective positions. The O-Line looks a lot stronger this year with Leonard Davis excelling at his natural position of guard. I thought Washington had a chance to take the NFC East; however, they blew a golden opportunity to go 3-0 and 2-0 in the division on Sunday.

Tampa Bay’s Division to Lose

I thought that Jeff Garcia would stabilize the offense. I thought the O-Line would improve. I did not expect the Tampa Bay defense to be playing as well as they have. The young players have played very well and they’ve shut down New Orleans and St Louis in consecutive weeks. Barrett Rudd has more than replaced Shelton Quarles, he’s an improvement. What works in their favor is New Orleans, Atlanta and Carolina are flawed teams.

Rise of the Packers

Brett Favre looks like a completely different guy this year. He isn’t making stupid, asinine decisions. He isn’t lobbing passes into double coverage for no particular reason. He is playing almost like he did in ’03. I was skeptical, for good reason, when he said he was going to manage the games and not play like a gunslinger. Unfortunately the only thing that prevents me from calling them a legitimate NFC contender is their lack of a running game. They have everything else, including a great front seven.

Fall of the Chargers

What a colossal mistake this franchise made when they got rid of Marty Schottenheimer and replaced him with Norv Turner. I understand trying the ‘01/’02 Bucs strategy, but you have to replace your incumbent with someone who is capable of, you know, winning. Before the season I pondered that perhaps, just maybe, Norv Turner never had the talent to succeed. Now he has one of the most talented teams in the league and the Chargers are underachieving across the board. Philip Rivers finally got his act together and looked great, Antonio Gates may just be having his best season as a pro, and the run defense looks very good. Other than that it has been a disastrous season. The O-Line somehow regressed as Tomlinson has seen very little daylight. Last year he was getting to the second level on a consistent basis, this year he’s dodging defensive players in the backfield. I’m convinced he will back get on track. I cannot say the same thing about the secondary. AJ Smith has invested a lot in Antonio Cromartie, Drayton Florence, Quentin Jammer, Eric Weddle and Marlon McCree and they stink.

Matt Leinart = bust?

Anyone that has been here since before the ’06 draft should know that I have never, ever liked Matt Leinart as an NFL prospect. I thought he would be a bust on the next level. He lacked the arm strength to make throws that an NFL QB has to be able to make; the 18-yard post, the 15-yard out, etc. He played on an all-star college team, with receivers that caught anything in their vicinity. He had an O-Line that was full of 1st and 2nd round talents like Baker, Kalil, Justice, Lutui. He had Bush and White in the backfield. When I found out that Matt Leinart was pulled for Kurt Warner that was a sign that I had been right in my convictions. Kurt Warner looked much better than Leinart, even against a stout Ravens defense. Sure Whisenhunt denied that this had any meaning; that being said, the last time I heard those statements were when Kubiak pulled David Carr from a game and watched Sage Rosenfels outperform Carr. He had a decent game last week against Seattle, but has two dud games out of three. I think it’s clear that Jay Cutler and Vince Young were better prospects and will be better NFL players.

Quick Observations
    • Finally the Broncos made a good draft selection on a WR. Typically receivers make their breakout in their second season. He was the lone bright spot of Denver’s game against Jacksonville, earning his “Baby TO” nickname.
    • Donovan McNabb talked a lot in the days leading up to this week’s game and fortunately for his sake he played great. This should stave off the Eagles’ fans for a couple weeks at least.
    • The O.R.O.T.Y award is neck and neck between Marshawn Lynch and Adrian Peterson. I think Peterson will take it in the end. He’s accounting for half of the Vikings’ offensive production. He is truly the player he was purported to be and should be a top-5 NFL RB if he can avoid the fluke injuries that plagued him at Oklahoma.
    • Roddy White has superstar potential, I said that back in ’05 where he had a great six game stretch as a rookie. He struggled as a sophomore with drops. Now he is the only bright spot on the Falcons offense and has been since game 1.
    • Don’t look now, but Trent Edwards may be the QB of the future in Buffalo. Even if he is not, Losman’s injury only cause a controversy.
    • Dwayne Bowe looks like a stud in the making. He has blown me away the past two games and it sure looks like he will be a keeper for the Chiefs.
    • Imagine if the Packers could have traded for Randy Moss. They probably would have put them in the driver seat in the NFC.
    • It figures that as soon as Vernon Davis starts playing very good football he gets hurt. So much for that prediction.
    • Ronnie Brown finally looked like the player that was drafted with the 2nd pick in the NFL Draft.
    • Eli Manning made a few awful throws against the Redskins; unfortunately I don’t think he’ll ever live up to the billing. He’s still an above average starter though.
    • NFL Network called out Fox’s pre-game analysts when they showed that every single one of them picked the Lions to beat the Eagles.
    Texans Decimated

I’m amazed they were competitive with Indianapolis. They are down to their 3rd and 4th receivers in Andre Davis and Kevin Walter. They lost their starting center for the season. Worst of all Ahman Green is once again hurt and the team now has to rely on Samkon Gado. Matt Schaub showed yesterday that he could make the most out of little by having a somewhat decent performance. The Texans need to get their playmakers back, otherwise their playoff aspirations will slip away from them.

AFC West Up For the Taking

I really don’t know what to think. I still would guess that Denver will win, but they’ve looked inconsistent thus far and they might lose the next two games. San Diego, whom I’ve already discussed, could still come back from their 1-2 predicament if Denver doesn’t get things together. Oakland has an outside shot, but I think they are a year away from seriously contending. Kansas City is the only team I don’t think has a shot.

MNF Analysis

(to be added at a later date)

AFC Dark Horse

The Pittsburgh Steelers will be a very scary team in the play-offs. They are 3-0 and I think they are clearly the best team in the AFC North. They have balance on offense and a terrific defense. All anyone in the media ever talks about is Indianapolis and New England. I’m not picking Pittsburgh to go to the Super Bowl, but they have a chance to beat one of those teams. They have a team that can win in the post-season and no one should overlook them.
    Last edited by Shiver; 09-24-2007, 06:57 PM.

Warner looking better than Leinart is an understatement, Kurt Warner looked better than Peyton Manning against the Ravens, he picked them apart like an All American collegiate QB playing a high school JV team, Leinart was awful. He lacks the arm to make the tough down field throws. I honestly don't like him anymore than I like Charlie Frye in potential. Yes he is a great leader and has the smarts but everything else is poor. Leinart in about 3 quarters of play was 9/20 for 53 yards no TD's led his team to 3 points. The Bulk of his poor 53 yards was a screen to boldin or short slant something like that in which Boldin broke a billion tackles. Kurt Warner in just over a quarter of play was 15/20 for 258 yards and 2 TD's. He led his team to 20 points and a near win in the last quarter.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
    Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Stop taking all of my ideas and liking the same players as me.

Comment

Great read as usual. I agree on Brandon Marshall, he's a stud. Last year, when Cutler came in, you could really tell. He had the huge TD against Seattle, and he made a SPECTACULAR catch against Cincy. Like, I saw it and I thought for sure he was 5 yards out of bounds. But then I saw the replay, and oh baby, he dragged his feet just in. He is a tank. Although I think we had 4 bright spots in that game, Marshall, Dumervil(2 sacks), Sauerbrun(Lol, but 63 yards per punt), and Cutler(played very well with no running game, his INT at the end is hardly a fault, he needed to take risks like that down 9 with under 2 minutes left and no timeouts). Other than that, we stunk.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
        Originally posted by njx9
        do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

I agree AD deserves to be ahead, but he's not the only one accounting for half their team's offense.
          Lynch has 264 of our 600 yards and both of our TD.

I can't believe we average 92 yards passing. Disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by CutlerChris View Post
            Great read as usual. I agree on Brandon Marshall, he's a stud. Last year, when Cutler came in, you could really tell. He had the huge TD against Seattle, and he made a SPECTACULAR catch against Cincy. Like, I saw it and I thought for sure he was 5 yards out of bounds. But then I saw the replay, and oh baby, he dragged his feet just in. He is a tank. Although I think we had 4 bright spots in that game, Marshall, Dumervil(2 sacks), Sauerbrun(Lol, but 63 yards per punt), and Cutler(played very well with no running game, his INT at the end is hardly a fault, he needed to take risks like that down 9 with under 2 minutes left and no timeouts). Other than that, we stunk.
            His TD against Buffalo was beautiful - perfect throw, perfect catch, perfect footwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghettosermon View Post
              Warner looking better than Leinart is an understatement, Kurt Warner looked better than Peyton Manning against the Ravens, he picked them apart like an All American collegiate QB playing a high school JV team, Leinart was awful. He lacks the arm to make the tough down field throws. I honestly don't like him anymore than I like Charlie Frye in potential. Yes he is a great leader and has the smarts but everything else is poor. Leinart in about 3 quarters of play was 9/20 for 53 yards no TD's led his team to 3 points. The Bulk of his poor 53 yards was a screen to boldin or short slant something like that in which Boldin broke a billion tackles. Kurt Warner in just over a quarter of play was 15/20 for 258 yards and 2 TD's. He led his team to 20 points and a near win in the last quarter.
              He talked about how he needs to watch more film and understand the offense better. In fact, one of the reasons they pulled Leinart is Warner knew the hurry up part of the offense better than Leinart. The fact that he doesn't know those things shows that he isn't even ready for the NFL on a mental level, as well as his meager physical skills.

Comment

well said. I agree with mainly everything. The only thing i have trouble with is how you said Eli will probably be only an above average starter. I think he is one step up, as a good starter. Not very good, or great, but good. His stats would've been much better if Plax and Shockey could catch in the 1st half. His decision making has for the most part improved(except that one easy INT he threw while falling down). The OL for the Giants was pretty bad last night.

I know, I'm kinda nitpicking here :D good job overall
                We ALL bleed scarlet
                New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

I'm thinking that AD will win OROY based on his name (as well as stats), but I still maintain the fact that I prefer Lynch over him as an NFL runner.
                  The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

I'm still going for Calvin Johnson to win OROTY

Comment

Originally posted by jayceheathman View Post
                      I'm still going for Calvin Johnson to win OROTY
                      Johnson got injured yesterday.
                      The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                        I'm thinking that AD will win OROY based on his name (as well as stats), but I still maintain the fact that I prefer Lynch over him as an NFL runner.
                        Peterson has clearly outplayed Lynch in every facet of the game thus far. His name will have nothing to do with him winning OROY, if he does in fact win it.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                          well said. I agree with mainly everything. The only thing i have trouble with is how you said Eli will probably be only an above average starter. I think he is one step up, as a good starter. Not very good, or great, but good. His stats would've been much better if Plax and Shockey could catch in the 1st half. His decision making has for the most part improved(except that one easy INT he threw while falling down). The OL for the Giants was pretty bad last night.

I know, I'm kinda nitpicking here :D good job overall
                          He had 2 int's 1 which was a flat out foolish play and could have easily had 5 more picks if the Skins had DB's who actually looked at the ball, yes he has a live and active arm but his decision making is poor, he thinks he can squeeze anything into any pocket.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                          Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                          http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
                            Peterson has clearly outplayed Lynch in every facet of the game thus far. His name will have nothing to do with him winning OROY, if he does in fact win it.
                            He has? That's news to me. Considering that AD has a better offensive line to run behind and such. But, hey, that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
                              Lynch: 57 228 4.0
                              2TDs 5 36 7.2 21 0 --

Peterson:
                              64 271 4.2
                              1TD 8 160 20.0 60T 1 1 1
                              Outperformed is definitely a reach.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information