Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Lewis On The NFL

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...43721704_x.htm

"We once praised people for being tough," Lewis said. "We once praised the Jack Lamberts and the Dick Butkuses and all those guys. Now, in today's game, if you hit somebody too hard you'll get fined. If you just jaw with somebody - you could be friends just talking back and forth in great, spirited competition - then you'll get in trouble.
    "Everyone knows that you can throw the ball 50 yards downfield and it will be 50-50 on getting pass interference or roughing the passer," he said. "That's why the game has totally changed from the perspective of the game itself. That's what makes it very difficult for a person, even with my mind-set, who understood old school football.
    I agree with everything he has said, its like went from baseball to softball

sadly we all know theres nothing we can do about it but respect the past player and know that old school football is dead

I agree with the pass interference. Once the receiver touches the DB its fair game and they can tussle it out for the ball.

I also remember last year when Zach Thomas accidentally hit Coles a little with the helmet, although the vision wasn't entirely conclusive and got fined.

Comment

I do think that the roughing the passer calls have bordered on ridiculous, but I also think that the average life span and later life complications that afflicted most footballs players from that era that Ray Lewis seems to love so much should be avoided at all reasonable costs.

Comment

I feel like the NFL has made some good decisions regarding illegal hits. There's too many consequences from unecessary, vicious hits. I feel like the NFL should get on ESPN and other networks for promoting illegal hits on segments like "jacked up." They should also think about who they're using to promote the league. Guys like Troy P. and Peyton Manning should be focused on, instead of the Owens, Merriman types. On a side note, I really don't like hearing the holy name of Jack Lambert coming out of Ray Ray's mouth. It seems sacrelige.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFpnxVrT8Js

Comment

Jacked up ruled.

Comment

I've no interest in anything that comes from Ray Ray's mouth, but I'll say this:

Refs aren't caling offensive pass interference enough, I feel. Even when it's practically blatant.
            Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by steelernation77 View Post
              I feel like the NFL has made some good decisions regarding illegal hits. There's too many consequences from unecessary, vicious hits. I feel like the NFL should get on ESPN and other networks for promoting illegal hits on segments like "jacked up." They should also think about who they're using to promote the league. Guys like Troy P. and Peyton Manning should be focused on, instead of the Owens, Merriman types. On a side note, I really don't like hearing the holy name of Jack Lambert coming out of Ray Ray's mouth. It seems sacrelige.
              First of all, you don't think Troy P. and Manning are focused on to promote the league. Turn on a football game and try to make it through one commercial session without seeing Peyton Manning's face, or Troy Polamalu helping kids. As for Merriman and Owens, they have sketchy pasts that aren't worth promoting (steroids and attitude issues) but neither has done anything this year but be a team player. Besides what does the League do to promote TO? I know Merriman had a commercial, but TO? Those are outside influences, like ESPN, Nike, etc. who promote those guys, what do you want the NFL to do about that?

The United Way commercials though, the player of the year commercials, most things NFL promoted, all focus around guys like Peyton Manning, Troy Polamalu, LT....guys who are role models. They can't dictate what ESPN or Nike broadcasts.

Comment

I totally agree, too many restrictions are being put into football whether it be celebrations or cant touch the wr. Hopefully the next commish (however long it will take) reverts back to old football.

Comment

Football was created as a brutal, punch-you-in-the-mouth-if-you-can't-handle-it-go-home-and-cry-about-it-game...now it's mostly crying...GO BACK TO REAL FOOTBALL JERKS!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by trkaline View Post
                    Football was created as a brutal, punch-you-in-the-mouth-if-you-can't-handle-it-go-home-and-cry-about-it-game...now it's mostly crying...GO BACK TO REAL FOOTBALL JERKS!!!!!
                    I think Andre Waters would have disagreed.

As for some of the limitations, yeah they can be ridiculous especially the limitations on celebrations and I do think that defensive backs get a little screwed in the pass interference part of the game.

Comment

Contact is what makes football football. I agree with Ray, theyre getting ridiculous with some of these flags. Offensive players are getting way too much nowadays.

And thats why you see so many jerkoff diva WRs these days.

However, we don't want it to be like the 70s, or half of everyone's rosters would be on IR by week 8. They just need to tone down with some of these ridiculous rules geared towards the offense. Its becoming a bit much.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiddler View Post
                        I think Andre Waters would have disagreed.

As for some of the limitations, yeah they can be ridiculous especially the limitations on celebrations and I do think that defensive backs get a little screwed in the pass interference part of the game.
                        Look, they all know what kind of game it is when they suit up... oldskool football played like that, they had to have other jobs to survive ,these guys are paid millions to sacrifice there bodies for the love of the game and soon the QB's gonna be wearing flags...If your not willing to risk it all for the game why keep paying insane amounts of money???

Comment

Look, they all know what kind of game it is when they suit up... oldskool football played like that, they had to have other jobs to survive ,these guys are paid millions to sacrifice there bodies for the love of the game and soon the QB's gonna be wearing flags...If your not willing to risk it all for the game why keep paying insane amounts of money???
                          They are in the entertainment industry though, thats why they are getting paid milliosn of dollars. It's not "to sacrifice their bodies for the love of the game". As much as it would be nice if players felt like that, you can't expect someone to sacrifice 20 years of their lives later on due to serious mental and physical debilitations. You should expect them to go all out, all the time, but some of the issues these ex-players from those eras have to deal with far outweighs the fans' desire to see hard hitting action.

That being said, yes, a lot of these rules are getting ridiculous and taking away from football, and the advancements in protection, surgery, etc. for the players make it a completely different era form before. Still, you can't expect these players to risk essentially their lives for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by JK17 View Post
                            They are in the entertainment industry though, thats why they are getting paid milliosn of dollars. It's not "to sacrifice their bodies for the love of the game". As much as it would be nice if players felt like that, you can't expect someone to sacrifice 20 years of their lives later on due to serious mental and physical debilitations. You should expect them to go all out, all the time, but some of the issues these ex-players from those eras have to deal with far outweighs the fans' desire to see hard hitting action.

That being said, yes, a lot of these rules are getting ridiculous and taking away from football, and the advancements in protection, surgery, etc. for the players make it a completely different era form before. Still, you can't expect these players to risk essentially their lives for the game.
                            I dont really want to see them beaten down and half ******** when they leave.. I over reacted a little bit to make a point. I just want them to let them play football..not completely oldskool but not the nonsense cant hit nobody or touch them without drawing a flag game..if we went back just a couple of years worth of rules i'd be satisfied...

Comment

I dont really want to see them beaten down and half ******** when they leave.. I over reacted a little bit to make a point. I just want them to let them play football..not completely oldskool but not the nonsense cant hit nobody or touch them without drawing a flag game..if we went back just a couple of years worth of rules i'd be satisfied...
                              I'd agree on that, the roughing the passer calls, as most people agree and have said, are absurd. All it does is further the offense which is so much more marketable to the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information