My Week 4 Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Week 4 Thoughts

Sorry for the slight delay, I was at someone's house Monday night.

Marvin Lewis vs. Chad Johnson

It’s come down to this, one will win, and the other will be removed. Things have finally come to a head. Chad Johnson looked like a selfish baby because he couldn’t score on Monday night. He was overtly concerned about himself. He sulked when he nearly scored, simply because he couldn’t revel in some inane dance routine he had planned. He made sure to rant and make sure his displeasure known to Carson Palmer. He made it very clear that his personal antics were a higher priority than beating the Patriots was. He did the same thing when he complained and fought his coaches in the locker room during the half time in the playoff game against the Steelers. While not mentioned directly Marvin Lewis called the team “selfish,” among other things, and all of that was obviously a shot at Chad Johnson. He tried to rein him in last year and that didn’t work. As long as a ‘me first,’ distraction like Chad Johnson exists Marvin Lewis will never truly be in control and will never be able to establish discipline. If the Bengals keep losing it’s going to be one or the other, Lewis or Chad Johnson, and I think the money making and marketing side of things will win out. What makes this situation worse is the fact that TJ Houshmandzadeh is every thing that Chad Johnson is not. Consistent, tough, team oriented, more concerned about the W-L column rather than his own personal glory.

Whisenhunt’s Revenge

There was a lot to talk about in this game in my estimation, so without further ado:

Once again Matt Leinart looked poor while Kurt Warner out-performed him. This guy needs to stop reading the press clippings and actually work to become the “franchise” QB he was hyped to be, unless he is unable to play at the NFL level in the first place. Either way a top-10 pick, supposedly up and coming young QB, shouldn’t be rotating with a past his prime veteran. Especially considering the receivers he has at his possession. I think it’s safe to say that Jay Cutler and Vince Young are better than he is, just like I thought coming out of college.

Two breakout players that really emerged in this game: Santonio Holmes and Darnell Dockett. First I’ll start out talking about Holmes. Hines Ward has been in a steady decline for the past four years and I think Holmes is set to be the primary receiver. He was very deadly as a rookie and looks even better this year, an 1,100 yard season would not be a surprise from Holmes. Dockett has been terrific for a while, now his stats are actually elite. Having 5.5 sacks in four games is very impressive, let alone from a interior D-Lineman. He, along with Adrian Wilson, is the main reason that the Cardinals defense has been much more formidable.

I'm mad I didn't predict the upset here. This really had all the makings. Old coaches who knew the favorites' tendencies and personnel in and out. A home team, even if an underdog, always have a puncher's chance. A little luck also helped with both Troy Polamalu and Casey Hampton getting hurt mid-game.

Decline of the Chargers Redux

My prediction that the Chargers would get back on track against Kansas City at home blew up in my face. I feel a little reassured since I am pretty sure the majority of people everywhere thought the same thing. LaDainian Tomlinson nearly reached my prediction of 150 and a touchdown, but Philip Rivers stunk up the joint. In a year where Ben Roethlisberger steps up as a QB and Eli Manning has somewhat become more consistent, Rivers has regressed as a starter. The majority of his passes floated far too long, he missed open receivers, and his entire timing was off. The culmination of his struggles came when he choked under pressure and held on to the ball rather than dumping it off to a wide open Tomlinson in the flat. While the Chargers offense is in a state of flux, the defense looks terrible right now. The secondary has been consistently roasted. I can see giving up a lot to Tom Brady and Randy Moss, but seriously, Damon Huard and Dwayne Bowe? AJ Smith needs to get fired and the sooner the better. His horrible decisions have sunk a seemingly Super Bowl caliber franchise. Firing Marty due to a feud, hiring Norv Turner, missing on all of his draft choices that he’s invested in that maligned secondary.

Mangini Needs to Pull the Trigger

The Jets need to go with Kellen Clemens. Watching Chad Pennington struggle is painful to me. If Clemens is the future, and he apparently is, then give him an opportunity. It isn’t as if the Jets will make the playoffs either way. At least Clemens has upside. At this stage of his career, post-injury, Pennington is a below average starter who lacks any game breaking ability and his TD/INT ratio has been lousy ever since ’02. Right now Lavernaeus Coles is relegated to 7-8 yard pass plays with Pennington at the helm. Using Clemens would open up the play-book and utilize their stellar receiving duo.

The ’05 Draft Class Finally Has Signs of Life

Ronnie Brown has had his second consecutive 200 yard performance and finally looks like the guy that everyone thought he would be. I’m not sure what has held him back; he really has all the tools. He has a tremendous combination of size, speed and agility.

Braylon Edwards has finally broken free from his inconsistencies, injuries and case of the ‘dropsies.’ With the help of Derek Anderson, and an improved Browns’ O-Line, he’s become a force at WR. Maybe he’s broken the Michigan receiver curse?

Derrick Johnson has finally lived up to his hype coming out of UT. He has been the stalwart of a solid Chiefs defensive unit. He has racked up statistics and made his presence felt.

Travis Johnson is finally showing signs of life and with him stepping up, along with Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye, the Texans have a D-Line to be feared.

Marlin Jackson has been the key to the improved play of the Colts defense. Thus far they’ve been dynamite against the pass and he’s soon to be one of the best tackling corners in the entire NFL.

John Fox Must Go

The year 2003 was a long, long time ago. Yet John Fox is still living off the legacy he established back then. Ever since that time the Panthers have underachieved and performed inconsistently. Kris Jenkins’ rant practically called out Fox for not getting the team motivated and ready to play. Fox’s team has been humiliated twice, at home no less. Anything short of a post-season run he needs to go. He will be a standout DC somewhere in ’08.

Quick Hits
    • Trent Dilfer looked like Jared Lorenzen out there. Not only has Alex Smith not shown himself to be a capable NFL starter, but the 49ers have no one else to turn to.
    • Trent Edwards is the QB of the future in Buffalo. With another solid outing there is no way Losman gets his job back.
    • Bobby Petrino is officially an offensive guru if he can make Joey Harrington look like a very solid NFL starter.
    • Osi Umenyiora IS better and more productive than Julius Peppers. No, really, I’m serious.
    • Derek Anderson is making the Brady Quinn pick (and the lost 1st round pick) look like a poor decision.
    • Detroit is the most unconventional 3-1 team ever.
    • I am ready to call it: Tom Brady for MVP.
    • As for the rookie awards things are getting interesting. Last week I would have said Willis and Peterson are near locks. Now I could honestly say that if it ended today Dwayne Bowe and Amobi Okoye would at least be very close to those aforementioned two.
    Last edited by Shiver; 10-02-2007, 11:56 PM.

Matt Leinart actually wasn't that bad and had a 45 yard pass to fitz. They put warner in to try to get a quick score ala the 2 minute drill. (which he did perfectly) then they went with leinart to slow it down, run/control the clock. Although he didn't have any touchdown passes, he lead them to their 3rd touchdown drive.

seems like brady quinn is gonna have to go the brett favre route in becoming a starting/franchise qb.
    Last edited by soybean; 10-03-2007, 12:41 AM.

Comment

" * Derek Anderson is making the Brady Quinn pick (and the lost 1st round pick) look like a poor decision."

You haven't seen the games, just the stats.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
        " * Derek Anderson is making the Brady Quinn pick (and the lost 1st round pick) look like a poor decision."

You haven't seen the games, just the stats.
        what was wrong with derek anderson?

Comment

Shiver, good write up and I agree with a lot of it, but as for firing AJ Smith I just can't agree with, though I can certianly see the logic.

I really don't think you can fire AJ Smith. He made a mistake in bringing in Norv, but I'm not convinced Marty would have made this team a winner...they stunk in 2005 too, and blew many games they should have won, which isn't that different from this year. Marty also got a lot more invovled with some aspects of the team, that really weren't his field to be involved in, and AJ does handle much better then him, like salary cap issues, player evaluation, etc.

I also agree that he hasn't really hit on anything in the secondary yet, but he's hit all over the board on other positions. He's also only really drafted Cromartie and Weddle as his top flight draft choices (I think, I might be wrong on this depending on when Florence was drafted). I know thats not good, and I completely agree he sucks at finding players in the secondary, but he's also the guy who found Gates as an UDFA, Dielman as an UDFA, made a good trade that netted us Merriman, found Phillips, Castillo, Olshansky, Olivea, Vjax....not all those guys are playing great this year, but they're all great finds and serious assets to the team brought in under AJ. He's good at finding talent later on in the draft and its really helped the team move out (although we're heading right back) from the basement.

He really screwed up bringing in Norv, but I'm still not convinced Marty was any "less wrong" then AJ in their feud. And at the end of the day, Spanos sided with AJ over Marty, it wasn't just AJ's decision. That being said....he really ****** up with Norv and Cotrell, and I've lost some of my confidence in him...but not enough I want him gone. He has excessive pride and "ego", and he does need to know he screwed this one up....but he's still one of the best their is at building a roster.

Edit: Again, I know he's made some mistakes this year, and its resulted in us being absolutely terrible in a huge year for us...but with what he has done to build this team, I'll give him another shot any day before canning him.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
            • Trent Dilfer looked like Jared Lorenzen out there. Not only has Alex Smith not shown himself to be a capable NFL starter, but the 49ers have no one else to turn to.

While smith has dissapointed thus far, you just have to look at the offense surrounding him. His OL was absolutely terrible the first 3 games and they got him knocked out for a while because Eric Heitmann decided he was going to whiff on a block against Rocky Bernard. His receivers have been terrible too. His 3rd WR was so bad he was cut today (Taylor Jacobs). And don't forget the terrible coaching by Jim Hostler, OC of the 49ers.

I don't want to make it seem like Smith doesn't deserve blame. He has a poor pocket presence and can hold on to the ball too long. He also failed to take advantage of one of the best running games last year. But he is our best option. If things keep up, i see the 49ers doing what Buffalo did, and drafting a QB in the 3rd or so round to help push him and possibly overtake him.

Comment

Originally posted by soybean View Post
              what was wrong with derek anderson?
              Alot?

He throws into coverage all of the time... Most of his yards have come off of blown coverages (Good job by him for recognizing that.) But he is sooo incredibly inconsistent and loves throwing into coverage like I said.

He isn't playing bad, but believe me, Quinn starts the beginning of next year or some time this year, Derek isn't very good.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
                Alot?

He throws into coverage all of the time... Most of his yards have come off of blown coverages (Good job by him for recognizing that.) But he is sooo incredibly inconsistent and loves throwing into coverage like I said.

He isn't playing bad, but believe me, Quinn starts the beginning of next year or some time this year, Derek isn't very good.
                the browns blew it when they traded frye he was doing fine... they should have done what florida did, they won a national championship with two outstanding quarterbacks (tebow and leak)... there is no reason why the browns couldnt make the playoffs with a rotation of charlie frye and derek anderson, two stellar quarterbacks who will both be starters down the road

Comment

• Derek Anderson is making the Brady Quinn pick (and the lost 1st round pick) look like a poor decision.
                • Detroit is the most unconventional 3-1 team ever.
                • I am ready to call it: Tom Brady for MVP.
                They'll probbaly trade Anderson in a year and then Quinn will be like Rivers.
                What the packers arent unconventional of a 4-0 team for ya?
                Favre for MVP

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by justin sandy View Post
                  the browns blew it when they traded frye he was doing fine... they should have done what florida did, they won a national championship with two outstanding quarterbacks (tebow and leak)... there is no reason why the browns couldnt make the playoffs with a rotation of charlie frye and derek anderson, two stellar quarterbacks who will both be starters down the road
                  What?
                  i like frye and still think he'll be good, but he played terrible recently. And 2 QB's dont typically work in the NFL especially when neither is a good runer

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
                    They'll probbaly trade Anderson in a year and then Quinn will be like Rivers.
                    What the packers arent unconventional of a 4-0 team for ya?
                    Favre for MVP
                    i actually agree with you completely... drew brees and derek anderson are actually very similar, they both were overlooked for many of the same reasons and what it really comes down to is getting it done on sunday, not how big you are or what your shoe size is.

Comment

Except the NFL isn't college football...Frye and Anderson are not two "outstanding QBs" a this point in their career...and the style of play Tebow was used in last year would be incredibly ineffective in the NFL, unless of course, you think Frye or Anderson could attack the middle like Tebow was able to...in college....resulting in just two QBs throwing the ball, keeping the offenese out of rythm.

Comment

The Rams suck cuz they have a women as an owner. Football is a man sport, WOMEN STAY OUT! Although they allow the Seahawks to play it. Oh ****, No I didn't.

Comment

horrible idea. leak and tebow did different things. you can't rotate qbs unless you're arizona because frye and anderson have similar attributes.

I did notice he threw into coverage a lot (from watching the highlights) but i figure we can let him pass since he only had 1 INT. I'm not a browns fan so I guess i can't really have an opinion but he was a game manager. He was able get the early lead then maintain it throughout the game. We can't really fault him for taking risks since most of those were rewarded. I want to see quinn play too but if Anderson continues to win games, and at his age, there's really no choice but to hang the franchise in his hands.
                          Last edited by soybean; 10-03-2007, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yodachu View Post
                            The Rams suck cuz they have a women as an owner. Football is a man sport, WOMEN STAY OUT! Although they allow the Seahawks to play it. Oh ****, No I didn't.
                            Rams should get a qb. You'd be surprised how far a good qb can take a terrible team. (i know bulger was like a top 5 qb in the years past)

Comment

• Working...
                              X

Debug Information