X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Week 5 Thoughts

My Week 5 Thoughts

Struggling Quarterback Play

Vince Young – I praised the progress he made as a passer, yet somehow he regressed during the bye week. He looked dreadful out there. The Falcons have one of the fastest linebacker corp. in the NFL so they frustrated Young as a runner and he made a lot of shaky throws.

Chad Pennington – Are the Jets’ fans still sticking by Pennington? How long will they keep putting Pennington out there and have their supposed ‘QB of the future’ riding the bench? His lack of arm strength holds back their explosive receivers, allows defenses to stop Thomas Jones, and his floating passes are susceptible to being intercepted by DB’s.

Brett Favre – Brett Favre had a dynamite first half. He looked vintage ’95 Favre out there. By game’s end he started to look like the Favre that we’ve seen recently. Once the weather gets cold, you need to be able to run the football. Unfortunately with no competent running game Favre will be forced to press and the mistakes will follow.

Drew Brees – This is the Brees’ I thought New Orleans was getting last year; the one that was a product of Tomlinson and Gates, the one with below average arm strength. Even so, I never thought he be this bad. I don’t really know what to blame for New Orleans’ predicament, as I could go numerous directions. Is it Payton’s poor play-calling? Is it a lack of a running game that Brees’ needs to free him up? Is it the O-Line? I think it’s probably more of a combination.

Matt Hasselbeck – I don’t know what’s going on here, but it is not good. He was pulled! He threw several that could have been picked and two that were. One of which was due to him being late on his read and the DB broke up what would have been a TD.

San Diego Controls Their Destiny

The Chargers are blessed to be in the AFC West. The Chargers have been inconsistent, finally showing their potential yesterday, yet they are in perfect position to win the division. Who is ahead of them? Oakland has serious flaws and iffy QB play. Kansas City seems to be on the verge of imploding. Denver has no defense and the O-Line is falling apart. San Diego, despite horrendous play, can win the AFC West by merely playing at 80% of their overall talent the rest of the way.

All Quarterbacks go through difficult times, the great ones bounce back from these. Philip Rivers did just that. Denver’s pass defense has been excellent thus far and Philip Rivers has missed routine throws and made bone-headed decisions. He came out with something to prove and he played phenomenally. I think Philip Rivers has the ‘it’ factor and the intangibles to be a top flight QB in the NFL. If the Chargers are going to rebound it will be due to Rivers’, not Tomlinson, because they need Rivers to open things up for Tomlinson.

AFC South Is the Best Division

What a division this has turned out to be! The Colts somehow replaced several prominent veterans with rookies without losing a beat. They are using rookies and first year players all over the field and it’s working somehow. I just question how all these young players will hold up when the pressure is on and they face real adversity; that being said so far so good.

The Texans’ are a team that has been built the right way. Their ’06 draft class has truly been wonderful: Mario Williams has been a force against the run and has shown improved pass rushing ability, Demeco Ryans is one of the best MLB’s in the NFL now, Owen Daniels is a perfect H-Back type for their offense, and Eric Winson has started at RT and looked very good. Already they’ve seen dividends from Amobi Okoye. At the time of the trade with the Falcons many thought the Texans got fleeced, now not so much as Matt Schaub is everything that he was billed to be and I can’t help but feel jealous. What’s amazing is they’ve had success so far without their best individual player. Once they get Andre Johnson back the Texans will be a very dangerous team. It also helps that Kris Brown nailed three 54+ yard field goals.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are quietly doing very well. They have shown that their week 1 run defense (or lack thereof) was an aberration. David Garrard has justified the team’s decision to go with him as the starter. He’s shown great mobility, very good accuracy and hasn’t made the crucial mistake. If they can get Maurice Jones-Drew and Fred Taylor on track and start running the ball like they did last year, the Jaguars might actually live up to their talent level.

The Titans’ defensive line has been very impressive and so has their O-Line; however, I cannot help but think that they are the worst team in the division. Vince Young has been contained as a runner and has yet to show any semblance of consistency as a passer. Right now there is nothing he’s doing that David Garrard isn’t doing better. It’s not as if the receivers are going to help him either.

I’ve Said It before, Don’t Sleep on Pittsburgh

They played on Sunday without Troy Polamalu, Casey Hampton, Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes; yet not only did they win, but they destroyed Seattle. Ben Roethlisberger is playing his best football of the season and Arians’ offense is much more effective than Whisenhunt’s conservative offense was last year. He’s spreading the field, getting Heath Miller involved and letting Ben Roethlisberger throw in situations other than obvious passing downs. The Colts and Patriots get tons of hype, and deservedly so, but Pittsburgh has a legitimate shot to do some major damage in the post-season. They play defense and run the ball as well as any in the NFL combine that with a balanced passing attack and that is a formula that can win in January.

Chicago May Have Saved Their Season

The Bears have quite a ways to go, that being said putting in Brian Griese has helped a lot. He’s utilized the Bears’ top notch TE tandem. The defense was abysmal for three quarters, counting the 4th QTR of the Lions game and the first half of the Packers game, but they finally came to life after half time. Now they need to get Benson on a roll if they want to play at a high level.

Washington Is the Best in the East

The Redskins are a good football team and are well coached. They have balance, both offensively and defensively. Jason Campbell is showing improvement week in and week out. They have a top notch rushing attack. The defense is playing like the ’05 unit, not the ’06 ‘Skins. I picked them this off-season and I think I will be proven right. Part of that is due to….

Tony Romo Exposed

A popular saying is ‘second verse, same as the first.’ Well I think this is applicable in this case. Once again Romo became a media darling and played extremely well in a brief period of time, only to come back down to earth. The fact that he was mentioned in MVP discussions shows that people were prematurely anointing him, completely ignoring his inconsistency from a season ago. He had one of the worst QB performances I’ve ever seen. He was picked five times and the Bills could have had more. This brings me to my next point….

This Year’s Equivalent to the Cardinals/Bears Game

That was an unbelievable meltdown by the Buffalo Bills. There is no way that they should have lost that game. How can you lose with two defensive touchdowns and a special teams’ touchdown, while the opposing QB looks beyond awful? The Bills found a way. How could they lose the ball on that onside kick? Why did they play off-man prevent when the Cowboys only needed 15 or so yards to get into field goal range? These are the kinds of games that get you fired if you are a head coach. The only thing missing is Dick Jauron going on a “The Cowboys are who we thought they were!” rampage.

Please Vote Michael Boley Into the Pro-Bowl!

I felt this needed to be written about. Quite frankly I don’t have a lot of things to be positive about, with exception to Michael Boley, who has been dominant for the last year and half; he came into the NFL as a 220-lbs LB/S ‘tweener and has put on twenty pounds of muscle. He’s played SS, RE, and LOLB, which shows his tremendous versatility. He reminds me of a young Julian Peterson. He’s by far Atlanta’s best LB, Keith Brooking gets all the hype but isn’t the same player he used to be back in ’04. He’s third in the NFL in tackles and he’s an outside linebacker, he’s a ball-hawk and excels in coverage. I believe I have the right to be a homer and praise someone on Atlanta once in a while. Ask any of the Titans’ fans what they think of Michael Boley.

Shaun Alexander Lacks Passion

I have never liked this guy’s attitude. He’s always been soft as a player. He has avoided contact at all costs throughout his career. He has magnificent physical abilities, size, speed, vision, acceleration. However the only time he ever played up to his potential was in his two contract years in ’04 and ’05. You can always tell who doesn’t care about football when they only play well when their pay-day is coming up.

Quick Hits
    • Tarnard Jackson really impressed me and looks like a keeper at safety for the Bucs.
    • The Lions are alternating between impressive victories and embarrassing losses. I still think they play enough weak teams and have just enough offense to carry them into wild card contention.
    • It’s rather amazing that the Ravens have yet to assemble a competent offense under Brian Billick. When your fan-base is debating “Boller vs. McNair” you know you’re in trouble. What makes things worse is they actually have explosive weapons in the passing game, but don’t have the QB necessary to utilize them.
    • Osi Umenyiora had another sack; next week he faces UDFA Renaldo Forster, he may get to ten sacks in six games!
    • If there is one thing Cam Cameron is good at it’s putting his RB in a position to excel, Ronnie Brown is looking like an elite player. At least one of the ‘big three’ ’05 RB class has to do well.
    • Mario Williams’ sack total is up to three. He and Amobi Okoye will be a dominant tandem for years to come. By the way, that busted end around to Ted Ginn Jr. that resulted in the Trent Green situation was due to Mario Williams getting quick penetration and forcing Ginn to reverse field.
    • Albert Haynesworth is so good it’s terrifying. I was speechless when he leapt over the Falcons’ O-Line and pulled Leftwich down upon the snap. Although it’s telling that this is a contract year.
    • As if I need to talk about the Patriots, but I was impressed that the Patriots have so many receivers they can take turns with who has a dominant game. They don’t even need Randy Moss and that is terrifying.

There's a hell of a lot of overreactions here.

Just like if one player has one great game you can't call them amazing, you can't call a player horrible or mediocre because they have a bad game. Everyone has off days, and to say Young is regressing, that Romo showed his "true" self (I was *very* impressed with him in the last two minutes, the fact he was able to do that after the rest of the game he had? Says a lot about his maturity), and saying Brett Favre is struggling from a half, well... yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by CannedToast View Post

Just like if one player has one great game you can't call them amazing, you can't call a player horrible or mediocre because they have a bad game. Everyone has off days, and to say Young is regressing, that Romo showed his "true" self (I was *very* impressed with him in the last two minutes, the fact he was able to do that after the rest of the game he had? Says a lot about his maturity), and saying Brett Favre is struggling from a half, well... yeah.

Yeah I've noticed that there is a lot of overreacting on this board too. For some reason people just want Romo to fail so badly, hes still a very good QB. Everyone's allowed to have a bad game, especially if you end up winning anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
        Yeah I've noticed that there is a lot of overreacting on this board too. For some reason people just want Romo to fail so badly, hes still a very good QB. Everyone's allowed to have a bad game, especially if you end up winning anyway.

Romo has a lot of bad games. He is like Rex Grossman of last year. I'm not saying Romo will end up like Grossman did, but in the first handful of starts Grossman had impressive stats on an unbeaten team as well. Besides I only said that Romo was exposed in a sense that he is not elite, and he is not an MVP caliber QB. What is wrong with saying that?

Comment

Seattle's offensive line is playing like ****. I don't think I'd necessarily blame Hasselbeck and Alexander.

Comment

Where did I call any of those players "horrible" or "mediocre"? Don't put words in my mouth. The honest truth is they did struggle and all those players you mentioned have lingering questions hanging over them. Can Young consistently perform as a true QB? Can Favre avoid the costly mistakes? Will Romo ever maintain a consistent level of performance?

Comment

I'll take the Chicago/Arizona game comparison, because Chicago went on the to SB.

Comment

I hate how presentist we are as a society. ESPN.com has a poll on which game was more memorable, this one or the Bears-Cardinals one, and this game is leading 75%-25%. Granted this game was really exciting, and I may be biased, but the Bears-Cardinals game was much more memorable, if for no other reason than Devin Hester and Denny Green.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                  I hate how presentist we are as a society. ESPN.com has a poll on which game was more memorable, this one or the Bears-Cardinals one, and this game is leading 75%-25%. Granted this game was really exciting, and I may be biased, but the Bears-Cardinals game was much more memorable, if for no other reason than Devin Hester and Denny Green.
                  To be fair I think the Bears/Cardinals game was more memorable. Tonight's game is just this year's "equivalent" if you will.

Comment

I really dont care how people perceive Romo, thats for the birds...to say Romo is like Grossman is way off, but whatever...I feel confident in having Romo as a qb, and I feel like he gives us the best chance to go to the super bowl...

He's not on the level of peyton manning, so what, he can win games, and he plays great over the course of the season, you act like guys cant have bad games or something...It happens, but you act like we see this type of turnover game every other week

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                      Romo has a lot of bad games. He is like Rex Grossman of last year. I'm not saying Romo will end up like Grossman did, but in the first handful of starts Grossman had impressive stats on an unbeaten team as well. Besides I only said that Romo was exposed in a sense that he is not elite, and he is not an MVP caliber QB. What is wrong with saying that?
                      Romo has a lot of bad games? In terms of starting games, he is still a "rookie". In fact, if you take his first 15 games of his career, he has 4411 yards, 32 TD's, and 21 picks. Now, that has to be taken with a grain of salt, because he did get to sit for a while. However, That is a bloody brilliant first year worth of starts, especially considering he'll probably get another 200 yards, 2 TD's, and INT in his next game.

One again, from this game, I learned a hell of a lot more about Romo from what he did in the final two minutes than I learned in the first 58.

Comment

Romo has a lot of bad games? In terms of starting games, he is still a "rookie". In fact, if you take his first 15 games of his career, he has 4411 yards, 32 TD's, and 21 picks. Now, that has to be taken with a grain of salt, because he did get to sit for a while. However, That is a bloody brilliant first year worth of starts, especially considering he'll probably get another 200 yards, 2 TD's, and INT in his next game.

One again, from this game, I learned a hell of a lot more about Romo from what he did in the final two minutes than I learned in the first 58.
                        1/3 of his games...

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver
                          Ask any of the Titans’ fans what they think of Michael Boley.
                          Well, he's no Bulluck but he's pretty good. ;) The guy has impressed me every time I've seen a Falcons game, which though has been twice this year, he outperformed the like of John Abraham and DeAngelo Hall, in my opinion.

Vince Young played horrible on Sunday, but I'm not worried. He's had 3 good ones and one bad. And for a player in his second year, I'm not expecting perfection out of him every game. He's shown improvement this year by completing 62% of his passes, and had a dropped TD pass by Brandon Jones against the Falcons. The lack of playmakers on the Titan's offense is showing, though, and Young is trying to make plays by himself. But he's not at the level where he can do that...yet.
                          Still Team The Ke$ha!!!

[@TDWinstead]
                          Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
                          Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Comment

To be fair I think the Bears/Cardinals game was more memorable. Tonight's game is just this year's "equivalent" if you will.
                            Oh I wasn't commenting on you, it just reminded me of that.

Haha...I love Emmit Smith. "This was a team that people thought would dominate and that is exactly what didn't happen". I feel so bad for Steve Young that he has to even acknowledge his idiocy.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

1/3 of his games...
                              http://www.nfl.com/players/peytonman...97&season=1998

Let's see how much more consistent the best QB in the game was.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information