Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Superbowl in London?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says that a future Super Bowl may someday be played in London.

Goodell made the comments to reporters after a luncheon Monday in Scottsdale sponsored by the host committee for the 2008 Super Bowl in Arizona.

The commissioner says that London's Wembley Stadium would make a great candidate for pro football's biggest matchup, given a recent renovation and enthusiasm overseas for the game.

Wembley Stadium will host the first regular season NFL game outside North America later this month.

It took just 90 minutes to sell the first 40,000 tickets for the October 28 game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants.

Goodell says that event organizers have sold 95,000 tickets in all.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press
    Having a game overseas is bad enough already (I don't mind the occasional Canadian or Mexican game). Why would you ever move the biggest sporting event out of US soil.

There's all kind of talk going on over here leading up to the Wembley game, up to and including having a franchise based in London. I dunno, I can see games coming over here, but not a franchise or Superbowl, in fact as cool as it would be for us Brits to see a Superbowl here, it just would not be the same I don't think.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

I'm not really sure how I feel about that, but all said, the Super Bowl is the Super Bowl no matter where the game is played.

I'm looking forward to SB XLII being hosted at the Cardinals' new stadium this season, and I wouldn't mind seeing a future Super Bowl at Lucas Oil Field aka The Luke (The Colts' new stadium that will open next year).

I'm also really looking forward to the London game this year between the Giants and Dolphins, to see how that develops. I'm anticipating very good energy in that game.
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

it's not really fair. why should the diehard fans have to pay/travel that much to see their favorite team go at it in the most important game of the year? so the nfl can expand internationally?

having a couple games across borders/seas is ok, because there are at least 15 more games in the year.
        Last edited by soybean; 10-15-2007, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
          I'm not really sure how I feel about that, but all said, the Super Bowl is the Super Bowl no matter where the game is played.

I'm looking forward to SB XLII being hosted at the Cardinals' new stadium this season, and I wouldn't mind seeing a future Super Bowl at Lucas Oil Field aka The Luke (The Colts' new stadium that will open next year).

I'm also really looking forward to the London game this year between the Giants and Dolphins, to see how that develops. I'm anticipating very good energy in that game.
          The reaction of the Americans seems to be really positive towards the London game in general, I'm quite surprised by that really. I can't wait for it, got hotels and train tickets sorted and game tickets the other day!

Anyway if a superbowl came to London, it'd depend who attended the game as to if it was a real success, there are a lot of knowledgeable people who follow the game week in week out, but Superbowl weekend brings out everyone who just want to see what the fuss is all about, if tickets ended up mainly with those folk the atmosphere might suffer a bit. Also the Dolphins and Giants are big names over here, but if something like the Seahawks and Cleveland happened (just an example), they don't have the name recognition. That shouldn't a be a problem for the Giants v Dolphins. game I expect as everyone knows Miami Dolphins here.

Comment

Plus, in Febuary isn't it like 40 degrees (F) in London? And I believe Wembly doesn't have a dome.

Comment

Wembley doesn't have a dome, and it's winter over here in Feb, you are right, the Millennium Stadium in Wales is probably a better bet for hosting a bowl I would think as it has a retractable roof.

Comment

Who cares about a Superbowl in England. Bring one to Sydney!

Comment

I don't know, its an American game, the regular season is in America. I don't like it much, takes away the possibility for a lot of the teams fans to see them. I mean, sure there are fans that watch games, but they aren't going to be as, a majority, attached to the teams. Fans from London would never be able to replicate what the fans from Pittsburgh do for example. The teams play for the fans, mostly the fans in the US.

Also, I don't like the time zone changes.

Comment

Originally posted by ShutDwn View Post
                    I don't know, its an American game, the regular season is in America. I don't like it much, takes away the possibility for a lot of the teams fans to see them. I mean, sure there are fans that watch games, but they aren't going to be as, a majority, attached to the teams. Fans from London would never be able to replicate what the fans from Pittsburgh do for example. The teams play for the fans, mostly the fans in the US.

yea the superbowl would start here prob at 12 PST:(

Comment

Originally posted by ShutDwn View Post

Plus, bringing a superbowl to an American city does wonders for it. Detroit was a perfect example of that. So much media and commerce going on gives the city new life.

Comment

London w/ 100,000 people = $$$$$$$$$$

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by UKfan View Post
                          The reaction of the Americans seems to be really positive towards the London game in general, I'm quite surprised by that really. I can't wait for it, got hotels and train tickets sorted and game tickets the other day!
                          That's cool, hope you have fun.
                          Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I'd believe this a lot more if the NFL hadn't already stated that they'd like Superbowl whether to be as neutral a factor as possible (something I don't agree with at all).

That said, I think it'd be great for the NFL to try having the Superbowl in London. I definitely think there's a market, and London is a great city. Personally, as a man who can neither afford nor is terribly interested in actually going to the Superbowl, I don't really care where it is held. If holding it outside the country can expand the market and bring it to Europe, then all the better.

Comment

Realistically, how many people can afford Super Bowl tickets anyway? They're thousands of dollars and extremely hard to get. This will have little no effect on your average fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information