Denver Might Have the Worst DC in the League

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Might Have the Worst DC in the League

I am completely dumbfounded at how dumb he is at times. Why is he running so much Cover 2 and zone when he has those 2 Man Coverage CBs on the edges? Why is he not blitzing? Didn't he look at the film from year's past? When Denver blitzes, they play good defense.

And putting situational pass rushers in fulltime on that dline is clearly not helping the run defense. Why not use them situationally?

Anyway, so far from what Ive seen, he's this year's Tim Lewis. Any other DC's this year that are doing a horrible job worthy of discussion?

Another one, even though its not the D'coordinaters fault is the Jets, they just havent got the personel to run a 3-4 yet, but week in week out they keep playing it. It takes time to convert a defence from a 4-3 to 3-4 and Mangenious has rushed it in my opinion, its like putting a square into a circle hole-it just aint gonna work. I think next year after they get a few more suitable players, they might be able to convert successfully, but this year i just cant see it happening.

Whats your thoughts on this???

Edit: On a side note, Dick Lebeau and Mike Tomlin are doing an awsome job! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Jakey View Post
      Another one, even though its not the D'coordinaters fault is the Jets, they just havent got the personel to run a 3-4 yet, but week in week out they keep playing it. It takes time to convert a defence from a 4-3 to 3-4 and Mangenious has rushed it in my opinion, its like putting a square into a circle hole-it just aint gonna work. I think next year after they get a few more suitable players, they might be able to convert successfully, but this year i just cant see it happening.

Whats your thoughts on this???
      Ive been a strong advocate of running a 4-3 over there until they got the right personnell for the 3-4. Ive never favored the fulltime switch. He should at least run a 4-3 on running downs to stop the run. Then if he wants to use his 2 gap line on passing downs, go ahead, but this front is simply not made for a 3-4 right now.

Comment

I'd say you're accurate on one count and way off on another. They don't blitz, which is awful because their DL stinks, but they play a ton of man coverage - certainly too much. They ask their 'best-evah' corners to cover a WR, to a man, and rely on their safeties to play in the box. As you saw yesterday (and it's been happening all season which is why they suck against the pass), they have no safety that can cover a high school WR, no pass rush and Bly/Bailey are NOT immortal or even close to it.

Overall, yes, Bates is horrible and vastly overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
          Ive been a strong advocate of running a 4-3 over there until they got the right personnell for the 3-4. Ive never favored the fulltime switch. He should at least run a 4-3 on running downs to stop the run. Then if he wants to use his 2 gap line on passing downs, go ahead, but this front is simply not made for a 3-4 right now.
          I agree with the fact they should stick with a 4-3 on occasions, but the bit about using the 4-3 on running plays doesnt really make sense...3-4 teams are just as capable at stopping the run as 4-3, if not better, see Ravens/Steelers/'Boys/Pats etc...
          Last edited by Jakey; 10-30-2007, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyndham View Post
            I'd say you're accurate on one count and way off on another. They don't blitz, which is awful because their DL stinks, but they play a ton of man coverage - certainly too much. They ask their 'best-evah' corners to cover a WR, to a man, and rely on their safeties to play in the box. As you saw yesterday (and it's been happening all season which is why they suck against the pass), they have no safety that can cover a high school WR, no pass rush and Bly/Bailey are NOT immortal or even close to it.

Ive seen in key situations that game they played alot of Cover 2. And against Pittsburgh, they were almost exclusively running Cover 2....over and over and over again. They mightve ran Cover 2 the entire game.

Against the Pack, I they went to more man coverage, but they still ran too much Cover 2 for my liking. With the strengths of that team, they should be a blitzing man coverage team first and foremost. Theyve abandoned the blitz almost entirely this year.

But then again, Ive only seen 3 games and highlights. So I might be off on my assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakey View Post
              I agree with the fact they should stick with a 4-3 on occasions, but the bit about using the 4-3 on running plays doesnt really make sense...3-4 teams are just as capable at stopping the run as 4-3, if not better, see Ravens/Steelers/'Boys/Pats etc...
              Yeah, theyre just as capable when they have the personnell for it. If you don't have the personnell for a 3 man front, you can't run it. They Jets are getting killed in the run game because theyre running a front they can't run. If they switched to a 4-3 base on 1st and 2nd down, I guarantee you that the run defense would get significantly better.

Comment

Jim Bates was a good DC in Green Bay. However I haven't seen Denver play lately so I couldn't tell you.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyndham View Post

They suck against the pass? Well I guess the #1 pass D in the league does suck then. Who'd have thunk it? Bailey is still EASILY the best CB in the league, I don't give a flying **** if James Jones beat him once.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                  Originally posted by njx9
                  do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by CutlerChris View Post
                    They suck against the pass? Well I guess the #1 pass D in the league does suck then. Who'd have thunk it? Bailey is still EASILY the best CB in the league, I don't give a flying **** if James Jones beat him once.
                    They don't suck against the pass, but thats also a misleading stat. Theyre #1 against the pass bc theyre so bad against the run.

Comment

I'm glad to see that we have so many people here who can coach in the NFL. Their comments on how teams should play really rings with authority from guys who sit on a couch on game day and drink a beer.
                      Denver gave up 13 points in regulation time, that should be enough to win most games yet you criticize the DC. Duh.
                      And proud of it!!!

Comment

Yeah, theyre just as capable when they have the personnell for it. If you don't have the personnell for a 3 man front, you can't run it. They Jets are getting killed in the run game because theyre running a front they can't run. If they switched to a 4-3 base on 1st and 2nd down, I guarantee you that the run defense would get significantly better.
                        Ye man i see where youre coming from now, i agree with you from that standpoint.

Comment

They don't suck against the pass, but thats also a misleading stat. Theyre #1 against the pass bc theyre so bad against the run.
                          That is true. If their run D was solid, they would probably be average. But average is not "Terrible against the pass" or whatever he said.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                          Originally posted by njx9
                          do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                            I'm glad to see that we have so many people here who can coach in the NFL. Their comments on how teams should play really rings with authority from guys who sit on a couch on game day and drink a beer.
                            Denver gave up 13 points in regulation time, that should be enough to win most games yet you criticize the DC. Duh.
                            im not basing my evaluation of his playcalling based on one game. he's been doing a poor job all season.

Comment

Originally posted by CutlerChris View Post
                              That is true. If their run D was solid, they would probably be average. But average is not "Terrible against the pass" or whatever he said.
                              I think they should be even better against the pass. They bolstered their front 4 from a pass rushing standpoint, and they got Dre Bly. I just don't get why your team stopped blitzing when it clearly was a great unit under a blitz heavy scheme.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information