If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
I like the guy but he has no talent around him other than Gore and with Norv gone i see him struggling a bit here without any true #1 WR.
Bryant is pretty good and he has a good O-Line.
How come everyone and their mother is against Eli, But Smith was selected with the same pick 1 year later and no one says anything when Eli greatly outplayed Smith?
I see where you're coming from, and I think Eli has received a lot of unwarranted criticism for a young quarterback who is still developing, but there are a few of reasons.
1. Smith was the first pick in a weak draft class, whereas Eli was the first pick in an absolutely stacked draft class.
2. People understood there would be growing pains for Smith, as he didn't run a pro style offense in college.
3. Eli has an NFL pedigree.
4. Of the two quarterbacks selected after Eli, one had the best quarterback rating ever for a rookie and won a Superbowl and the other one has made the Pro Bowl.
5. The talent difference between the Giants and 49ers isn't even close.
6. Eli plays in a huge market, whereas Smith plays in a small one.
The 49ers are still one of the weakest teams in terms of pure talent, but they get by due to good coaching, and the fact that they have Frank Gore and an offensive line that specializes in run blocking. They need to add a big time red zone receiver and some better defensive players and they'll be set.
I was never a fan of Smith, and I don't think he'll come close to the level of Palmer, Manning, McNabb, and Culpepper (in his prime anyway). Coming out of college he graded out significantly lower than Young, Rivers, E.Manning, Roethlisberger, and maybe even Leinart. He can be a decent NFL starting QB, but I don't think he'll ever be a pro bowl or stud QB.
Alex will be fine - he's not exactly surrounded with talent but the he and the team are improving. Ok so he's probably not going to be Peyton Manning but I do think he'll be a top 5-10 QB in the league.
me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me