Thoughts on Alex Smith?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH
    He just needs Dwayne Jarrett, and a good QB coach, and he'll develop into a great-elite QB.

lol What is Mike Williams Jr going to do for us?

Comment

Smith is the youngest starting QB in the league, younger than Leinart, Cutler, Young, or Jackson. I thought he looked great when I watched him play.
      aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Originally posted by Larry
        He just needs Dwayne Jarrett, and a good QB coach, and he'll develop into a great-elite QB.

why does everybody keep saying Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett are the same?

Comment

2009 NFL MVP

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner
            Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan
            Originally posted by TCU
            I like the guy but he has no talent around him other than Gore and with Norv gone i see him struggling a bit here without any true #1 WR.
            Bryant is pretty good and he has a good O-Line.

How come everyone and their mother is against Eli, But Smith was selected with the same pick 1 year later and no one says anything when Eli greatly outplayed Smith?
            I see where you're coming from, and I think Eli has received a lot of unwarranted criticism for a young quarterback who is still developing, but there are a few of reasons.

1. Smith was the first pick in a weak draft class, whereas Eli was the first pick in an absolutely stacked draft class.
            2. People understood there would be growing pains for Smith, as he didn't run a pro style offense in college.
            3. Eli has an NFL pedigree.
            4. Of the two quarterbacks selected after Eli, one had the best quarterback rating ever for a rookie and won a Superbowl and the other one has made the Pro Bowl.
            5. The talent difference between the Giants and 49ers isn't even close.
            6. Eli plays in a huge market, whereas Smith plays in a small one.
            The Bay Area is not a small market, but I agree with most of your other points.

I'd like to also emphasize the lack of talent on the 49ers offense, besides Frank Gore.

"I'm going for 2,200 (yards) next year," Gore said. "That's the record, isn't it? Yeah, I'll get that."

Comment

Originally posted by niner84

why does everybody keep saying Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett are the same?
              For real, Jarrett is awesome, Williams is a douche

Comment

How come everyone and their mother is against Eli, But Smith was selected with the same pick 1 year later and no one says anything when Eli greatly outplayed Smith?
                This is because loudmouth Giants fans acted like Eli was the next Montana and 49er fans just pray Smith wasn't a complete bust.
                The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

He's progressing nicely but it may be alittle of a setback losing Norv Turner but he will be successful if they can get him weapons

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Ginn would be a horrible parring with Smith, i think they should trade up with there second pick IF someone like Meach/Rice/Bowe fell early in the second round.

Comment

Originally posted by Borat Sagdiyev
                      This is because loudmouth Giants fans acted like Eli was the next Montana and 49er fans just pray Smith wasn't a complete bust.
                      Exactly. Giants fans deserve all the criticism pointed at Manning because of their ridiculous homerism.

"I'm going for 2,200 (yards) next year," Gore said. "That's the record, isn't it? Yeah, I'll get that."

Comment

Originally posted by Green Bay Scat
                        Ginn would be a horrible parring with Smith, i think they should trade up with there second pick IF someone like Meach/Rice/Bowe fell early in the second round.
                        Agreed. They need a pass rusher or a run stuffer.

Comment

Originally posted by 16_SFfan_80
                          Originally posted by yourfavestoner
                          Originally posted by TCU
                          I like the guy but he has no talent around him other than Gore and with Norv gone i see him struggling a bit here without any true #1 WR.
                          Bryant is pretty good and he has a good O-Line.

I see where you're coming from, and I think Eli has received a lot of unwarranted criticism for a young quarterback who is still developing, but there are a few of reasons.

1. Smith was the first pick in a weak draft class, whereas Eli was the first pick in an absolutely stacked draft class.
                          2. People understood there would be growing pains for Smith, as he didn't run a pro style offense in college.
                          3. Eli has an NFL pedigree.
                          4. Of the two quarterbacks selected after Eli, one had the best quarterback rating ever for a rookie and won a Superbowl and the other one has made the Pro Bowl.
                          5. The talent difference between the Giants and 49ers isn't even close.
                          6. Eli plays in a huge market, whereas Smith plays in a small one.
                          The Bay Area is not a small market, but I agree with most of your other points.

I'd like to also emphasize the lack of talent on the 49ers offense, besides Frank Gore.
                          Eh...the New York market pretty much dwarfs all the other markets in the league.

Comment

Mike Williams sat out a year. That rust screwed him over. Jarrett compares better to Plaxico Burress(maybe without character concern).

Comment

Mike Williams sat out a year. That rust screwed him over. Jarrett compares better to Plaxico Burress(maybe without character concern).
                              Dwayne Jarrett is better than Mike Williams when they were at USC

Comment

Keyshawn Johnson.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information