X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My week nine opinions

Rookie Watch

Adrian Peterson

Who else could I put here? On Sunday Adrian Peterson broke the NFL Single Game rushing record formerly held by Jamal Lewis by a single yard. Even more amazing is that both Peterson and Lewis achieved almost the exact same rushing total with exactly 30 carries each.

Should Peterson’s body hold out within reach will not only be Jamal Lewis’ mark of 2,066 yards but Erik Dickerson’s NFL Record 2,105. Surprisingly, Peterson still averages under twenty carries per game, should the Vikings increase this number as they face opponents who’re poor defensively another couple of big games could catapult Peterson into the record books ahead of a player who is considered one of the best of all time.

Best Performance

Drew Brees

Brees’ 445 yards and three touchdowns facing the Jaguars helped push the rejuvenated Saints to another victory. This is a great performance from a player who just weeks ago was being criticized as a flash in the pan quarterback who was a product of the system and supporting cast in the San Diego and a hero due to circumstance in New Orleans. Brees this week has hopefully silenced his critics as he’s not only helped him steam to a win, but has kick started a stagnant offense which will be needed in the coming weeks to help the Saints make a push for the NFC South crown.

The NFC South

Another week and more confusion in the NFC South. Tampa looked dominant facing Arizona and failing a case of dropsies from Alex Smith it would’ve shown more clearly on the scoreboard. New Orleans looked red hot against the faltering Jaguars and seem to be hitting their stride offensively riding the Marques Colston and Drew Brees connection. Carolina continues to tumble from the top with David Carr’s inept Quarterbacking and Atlanta just prolongs the inevitable with a hard fought win in San Francisco.

It appears this division will be a two horse race by week ten with Tampa and New Orleans slugging it out for the crown. My feeling is New Orleans won’t win the title simply because Tampa is playing too well right now. Garcia is exactly what that offense needed and their defense seems to be adjusting to a few key losses and an interesting mix of really old and really young across the board. Gruden’s experience should win out here and should the slipshod running back stable keep up the pace the Buccs should keep alive the NFC South’s tradition of cellar dwellers returning to dominance the following year.

Rod Marinelli

Hired in 2006 and having an awful 2005 Marinelli has managed to completely turn a franchise around. After being the butt of endless jokes about Wide Receivers and pathetic players all over the team Detroit now looks like a potential playoff contender thanks in large part to the coach’s efforts.
    The team is young, plays hard and has emerging talent at most skill positions, though I think the Lions of this year are like the 49ers of last year, in that they’re playing above their ability it shows the team is finally on the right track. With sound drafting this year and adding a young quarterback we might actually see the Lions become, dare I say it, a success?

Coaches Losing Sleep

Mike Shanahan

After losing his starting quarterback and having the offensive and defensive weaknesses exposed Shanahan has to be feeling slightly uncertain about his team’s future. Shanahan’s two big fat rings will be enough to allow him a pass through a couple of losing seasons in Denver but it seems his team has lost its magic. Denver hasn’t really had star studded offensive or defensive lines throughout the last few years, and the team has still made the playoffs nearly every year. This year the team is flat, unmotivated and handled every week by just about every opponent they face.

Something is very wrong in Denver and it doesn’t seem to be just a personnel issue as the tough win against Pittsburgh and strong effort against Green bay show the team can play, when it wants to. Like with Carolina, Denver seems to be a team that plays ONLY when it wants to, and like with Carolina I sense big changes coming on both sides of the ball.

Players Losing Sleep

Steve Smith

Steve Smith has to be getting frustrated (more so than usual, as Smith is always frustrated). I cannot name too many guys who week in and week out strap on the pads and come to play with as much fire, enthusiasm and raw will to win as Steve Smith. Too bad he’s got no quarterback trying to get him the ball. Smith runs every route, blocks every run play and fights for every ball he can to help Carolina to win games and when he receives the ball, his efforts are more than enough.

Jeff Davidson and John Fox collectively need to work with David Carr to ensure Smith gets more than three or four touches in a game. All he needs is eight or nine catches to break one for a score and put up over 100 yards on any defense in the NFL but still, he’s ignored by David Carr and seemingly nothing is done to get him more involved.

Smith is a team first guy, but with his personality and ability he needs to be fed ball early and often or he will implode and turn his anger on those around him. Steve Smith is the best wide receiver in the game and he’s far from being a Terrell Owens or Chad Johnson, but that doesn’t mean he won’t get frustrated enough to make bigger waves if something doesn’t change soon.

QB Thoughts

David Carr

If it wasn’t official before, it damn sure is now, he’s a B-U-S-T bust. To put it bluntly, David Carr is nowhere near being an effective signal caller in the NFL.

Quarterbacks are supposed to be leaders, but how can one lead when they don’t show confidence in the players around them? He doesn’t take shots down field, he never steps properly into the pocket and never goes through his progressions properly to find the best option.

I had some faith in Carr and to be honest I was happy when he was signed in the offseason to back up Jake but after seeing him play for an extended period I have to say I’m sorry we didn’t get Harrington instead of Atlanta, hell, I’m sorry we didn’t get ANYONE else.

The sooner Testaverde is back, the better.

JP Losman

He might not be Peyton Manning and he might not be putting up gawdy statistics but he is doing exactly what he needs to. Since 2004 Losman has shown a steady improvement in the way he both manages and more importantly, wins games. Though I feel his days in Buffalo are numbered, with Trent Edwards in town, I think whoever signs him following his release will gain a very talented young quarterback.

Losman has never had a lot of stability in his supporting cast or coaching staff and at times that is made abundantly clear, but in the right situation with the right coach and players around him he could be a very, very solid addition to many teams around the league.

Final Notes

Outside of Dallas there really doesn’t appear to be a contender in the NFC. In fact, outside of Indianapolis and New England, there’s not really another contender in the AFC. Sure in the past some teams have come literally from nowhere to fight to and win the super bowl, but I don’t really recall any teams being this far ahead of the pack, in recent history anyway.

Is this just me or is the NFL’s parity really that extreme?

The Buccaneers defense is playing great this year and a lot of there success can be attributed to this. The D-Line actually played well against the Cardinals with over a dozen QB hurries. The LB corp of Ruud, Brooks and June has been ultra consistent, and the DB's have been unexpectedly stellar with Ronde and Phillip Buchanon dominating and Tanard Jackson and Jermaine Phillips shocking everyone with great play. Combined with the consistency of Garcia and the ageless wonders of Galloway and Hilliard, as well as workhorse Earny Graham, the offense is actually working quite well this year.

In saying that, the Saints scare me, and it is going to be a good battle for supremacy in the NFC South.

Comment

I don't know Blindsite about Tampa winning the NFC South. The Saints have found an identity and are beginning to click on all cylinders. Tampa has now looked as stout over the last four games at they did in the first four games of the season. A lot will depend, obviously, on how these teams finish down the road. I think the Saints control their destiny more than the Bucs. Both teams have a pretty easy schedule although Tampa still has to play a tough Washington team at home and the Saints on the road. It is that latter game that gives the Saints more of a control of their own destiny on paper since they will be at home. Of course, that does not mean anything if you don't win the game. Both teams must play well and avoid slip ups. Like, when Tampa travels to Atlanta, Houston and San Francisco (a game that looks easy on paper but gets difficult when you consider that Tampa has not played as well lately when traveling across country for a game). I believe the Saints can run the table as they appear to be getting better each week. But you never know. There are no gimmes in this league. The last two months of the season will prove to be very interesting.

Comment

Losman stares down Lee Evans so much, it's crazy. He can't keep doing that once he plays better pass defenses than the Jets and Bengals.
        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

He stares em down because he has no other options

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

The Saints shouldn't scare anyone. Nothing to see here, folks. Just an average .500 NFC team. Move along. No hype plz. kkthx
            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Hopefully Drew Stanton will be the young quaterback that will lead Detroit to success in the near future.
              Cheers to Michigan winters...

Comment

Originally posted by JPLUFF View Post
                Hopefully Drew Stanton will be the young quaterback that will lead Detroit to success in the near future.
                Mental blank on that one, don't know how I forgot where one of my favourite prospects in the draft went.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post

Final Notes

Outside of Dallas there really doesn’t appear to be a contender in the NFC. In fact, outside of Indianapolis and New England, there’s not really another contender in the AFC. Sure in the past some teams have come literally from nowhere to fight to and win the super bowl, but I don’t really recall any teams being this far ahead of the pack, in recent history anyway.

Is this just me or is the NFL’s parity really that extreme?

Seriously, what do the Packers have to do for some respect? It's not like they're 7-1 or anything...

Comment

It is impossible to bring Marshawn Lynch down with just one person. His legs keep pumping, and he always gains 3 or 4 extra yards, and falls forward. He's going to be a great RB in the NFL.

Originally Posted by scottyboy
                    my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
                    But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                      The team is young, plays hard and has emerging talent at most skill positions, though I think the Lions of this year are like the 49ers of last year, in that they’re playing above their ability it shows the team is finally on the right track.
                      The Niners are on the right track?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Bills2083 View Post
                        It is impossible to bring Marshawn Lynch down with just one person. His legs keep pumping, and he always gains 3 or 4 extra yards, and falls forward. He's going to be a great RB in the NFL.
                        Dude...what's with the Bills homers today? I'm pretty sure someone has brought Lynch down by themselves. There's probably one, maybe two, runningbacks you can say that about in the history of the NFL, Jim Brown and Earl Campbell. Lynch isn't even a powerful runner, exemplified by the fact that he's pretty mediocre in the redzone.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                          Dude...what's with the Bills homers today? I'm pretty sure someone has brought Lynch down by themselves. There's probably one, maybe two, runningbacks you can say that about in the history of the NFL, Jim Brown and Earl Campbell. Lynch isn't even a powerful runner, exemplified by the fact that he's pretty mediocre in the redzone.
                          Lynch is a powerful runner...have you ever watched him? While I'm sure one person has brought him down before, it is a rare occurrence. He basically does exactly what Bills2083 says he does, keeps his legs pumping and rarely goes down on first contact.

Comment

^This is my first post about the Bills today. Why's it such a big deal that I said something positive about the Bills?

Maybe talking about how great Adrian Peterson is, is a better idea.

Originally Posted by scottyboy
                            my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
                            But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by Bills2083 View Post
                              No matter what marshawn lynch does, he will forever be in the shadow of adrian peterson, who is head and shoulders above him. I cant believe some people said lynch was better. However, congrats to him for a real good day tomorrow.

And dont think i dont like lynch. I saw him in person earlier this year and he is a dynamic back. Just not on the same level as peterson, and they will always be compared.
                              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                              The APS is strong in this one.
                              Originally posted by killxswitch
                              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information