2006 Draft...Looking Back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Draft...Looking Back

Some people may not follow rookies much after the draft, so here's an update from a stats standpoint. For some rookies I added some of my own insight, just based on my thoughts on how they've played since arriving in the NFL.

Career stats through Week 9.

Mario Williams, DE, Texans: 27 games played, 27 games started, 70 tackles, 8.5 sacks,
    Had a somewhat disappointing rookie campaign, and a nice start in 2007. I still think he'll prove to be a better pick over Reggie Bush.

Reggie Bush, RB, Saints: 268 carries, 999 yards, 3.7 YPC, 9 TDs, 138 receptions, 1,019 yards, 4 TDs
    May not have had value as a RB, but he helped bring this franchise back to accountability. He and Brees were the face of the NFL last season and has been a great asset to the franchise. On field production not at it's best though.

Vince Young, QB, Titans: 22 games played, 20 games started, 277/508, 54.5%, 3,054 yards, 15 TD, 21 INT, 65.2 rating, 130 rushes, 717 yards, 4 TD
    Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2006. Hasn't been especially productive passing the ball, but still has been an effective QB. 6-2 Titans, weren't expected to do anything this year.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Jets: Has started every game of his career. Has been solid since his arrival. Living up to his billing as franchise LT.

A.J. Hawk, LB, Packers: 24 games played and started. 171 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 3 INT's.
    Has lived up to his "ballhawk" role thus far. Was dubbed as the biggest sure thing of the draft. So far, that holds evident.

Vernon Davis, TE, 49ers: 45 catches, 518 yards, 4 TD
    Has been productive, but a bit injury-plagued for the early part of the year. So far, has warranted Top 6 selection as a TE. Still plenty of time and still has the potential.

Michael Huff, S, Raiders: 120 tackles, 1 Sack, 1 Safety, 6 passes defended
    Hasn't made an interception yet, but has still been good. A key piece to that improving defense.

Donte Whitner, S, Bills: 159 tackles, 4 passes defended, 1 INT
    I feel he was the best defensive player as a rookie in 2006. He and Ko Simpson have formed a great young duo.

Ernie Sims, LB, Lions: 195 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT
    [I]He's been a monster. Undersized, but overly fast. Really was a great pick by Matt Millen. Back-to-back for him with Sims and CJ.[/I

Matt Leinart, QB, Cardinals: 17 games played, 16 games started. 274/489, 56%, 3,194 yards, 13 TD, 16 INT, 33 rushes, 91 yards, 2 TD
    Has showed good poise and leadership, but numbers haven't been good yet. I still feel he'll be a great QB once he returns next year, hopefully with a better offensive line.

Jay Cutler, QB, Broncos: 13 games played, 13 games started, 222/356, 63.2, 2,691 yards, 17 TD, 13 INT. 31 rushes, 99 yards, 1 TD
    Statistically has been the best QB of the class. That hasn't translated to team success though in 2007.

Haloti Ngata, DL, Ravens: 23 games played, 23 games started, 54 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 INT.
    Has played DE in the 3-4 after being pegged as a NT prior to the draft. Good, but not spectacular.

Kamerion Wimbley, LB, Browns: 90 tackles, 14 sacks.
    Has been the rush-backer for Romeo Crenell, and excelled in that role.

Broderick Bunkley, DT, Eagles: 25 tackles, 2 sacks
    Didn't start as a rookie but has started every game this season and notched two sacks.

Tye Hill, CB, Rams: 67 tackles, 6 Passes defended, 3 INT

Jason Allen, DB, Dolphins: 29 tackles, 1 pass defended, 1 INT

Chad Greenway, LB, Vikings: 52 tackles
    Sat out 2006 with injury. Started every game this year. Averagin 6.5 tackles per contest.

Bobby Carpenter, LB, Cowboys: 26 tackles, 1.5 sacks

Antonio Cromartie, CB, Chargers: 37 tackles, 12 passes defended, 4 INTs
    Has stepped up this year. Also proven he's a threat with the ball in his hands.

Tamba Hali, DE, Chiefs: 78 tackles, 11 sacks, 1 INT

Laurence Maroney, RB, Patriots: 264 carries, 1,162 yards, 4.3 YPC, 6 TDs, 24 receptions, 231 yards, 1 TD

Manny Lawson, LB, 49ers: 68 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 INT

Davin Joseph, G, Buccaneers: Started every game, not sure, but he must be doing okay.

Santonio Holmes, WR, Steelers: 75 catches, 1,250 yards, 6 TD, 4 rushes, 25 yards

Johnathan Joseph, CB, Bengals: 81 tackles, 24 passes defended, 1 INT

John McCargo, DT, Bills: 18 tackles, 1 Sack

DeAngelo Williams, RB, Panthers: 185 carries, 819 yards, 4.5 YPC, 2 TD, 49 receptions, 402 yards, 2 TD
    Still playing 2nd fiddle to Foster even though he's obviously the best back on the team.

Marcedes Lewis, TE, Jaguars: 33 receptions, 346 yards, 1 TD

Nick Mangold, C, Jets: Started every game. Playing very well.

Joseph Addai, RB, Colts: 375 rushes, 1,785 yards, 4.8 YPC, 14 TD, 63 receptions, 530 yards, 3 TD
    Easily been the best pick of the 1st round thus far, statistically.

Kelly Jennings, CB, Seahawks: 73 tackles, 11 passes defended, 1 INT

Mathias Kiwanuka, DE/LB, Giants: 92 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 2 INT
    Would be a great rush backer in a 3-4. Excelling on 3rd down for the Giants.

Paul

New York Giants
    New York Yankees
    New York Knicks (unfortunately)
    UConn Basketball
    Virginia Tech Football
    UConn Football

so the only two players that really disappointed (at least me )

were carpenter and jason allen ....

the others were ok at least.

what do you think ?

Comment

Going to end up as one of the better draft classes of all time. Said it back then and I still believe it.
      Originally posted by Paul
      Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
      Originally posted by Vikes99ej
      These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
      MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

2nd round is good to.
        "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Some awsome players in that draft...Still glad we took Santonio, he's gonna be a beast.

Comment

Jason Allen, Bobby Carpenter, Marcedes Lewis, John McCargo, and Manny Lawson are on the high road to bust-dom if they don't get it going.

Addai, Whitner, Sims, Wimbley, Holmes, and Mangold are really great players. (although Wimbley and Mangold are not as productive as they were as rookies I think - sophomore slump maybe).

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
              Jason Allen, Bobby Carpenter, Marcedes Lewis, John McCargo, and Manny Lawson are on the high road to bust-dom if they don't get it going.

Addai, Whitner, Sims, Wimbley, Holmes, and Mangold are really great players. (although Wimbley and Mangold are not as productive as they were as rookies I think - sophomore slump maybe).
              Manny Lawson? He played pretty well last year. He had a season-ending injury this year. Not really sure why you would label him on the road to being a bust.

Comment

I think Bobby Carpenter needs a change of scenery. He's not a bad player by any means, he just has no role in this new defense.

Cleveland or the Jets (teams that run the BP 3-4) should give up a pick for him. If you get him for a 3rd, or even a 2nd, I think it might be a steal.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post

I wouldn't say Marcedes is a bust...he was limited by an ankle injury his first year, and this year he's getting more catches. He's not a great pick, but he's becoming more productive.

by BoneKrusher
                  <DG> how metal unseen
                  <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

I know most people dont care about Buffalo outside of Buffalo but John McCargo is turning into a beast and is no longer considered a bust in Bills eyes. He got hurt bad last year and missed his rookie season and got hurt again in training camp but he is a big reason why the Bills run D has gotten so much better over the last 5 weeks. McCargo is getting constant pressure in the backfield and pushing the line back on run plays. He is by no means a superstar but he has really turned the corner and become a solid player the Bills were hoping for ...just thought i'd give the rest of the country a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo1105 View Post
                      I know most people dont care about Buffalo outside of Buffalo but John McCargo is turning into a beast and is no longer considered a bust in Bills eyes. He got hurt bad last year and missed his rookie season and got hurt again in training camp but he is a big reason why the Bills run D has gotten so much better over the last 5 weeks. McCargo is getting constant pressure in the backfield and pushing the line back on run plays. He is by no means a superstar but he has really turned the corner and become a solid player the Bills were hoping for ...just thought i'd give the rest of the country a heads up.
                      YES"M! Agree 100%!

Comment

Davin Joseph has struggled a bit this year, I honestly expected him to be playing at a higher level than he is after a promising rooked year.
                        "If everyone liked the same thing everyone would be after your grandmother."

My Grandfather

Comment

D'Brick is going to be elite in a year or two.

He's gotten better like every game this season. I don't remember the last time I actually worried about someone beating him.

Now if only we could get a dominant G next to him. Clarke is killing us.

Comment

Just got the wonderful idea that the Packers could trade for Bobby Carpenter to play SAM in our 4-3 opposite his boy A.J. Hawk and Nick Barnett in the middle.
                            I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

I'd like to see Bobby Carpenter traded if he's not going to start in Dallas, it's just disappointing to see great talent have to sit on the bench and root on his teammates instead of playing on the field.
                              Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information