X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYGibril28
    started a topic 2006 Draft...Looking Back

2006 Draft...Looking Back

Some people may not follow rookies much after the draft, so here's an update from a stats standpoint. For some rookies I added some of my own insight, just based on my thoughts on how they've played since arriving in the NFL.

Career stats through Week 9.

Mario Williams, DE, Texans: 27 games played, 27 games started, 70 tackles, 8.5 sacks,
    Had a somewhat disappointing rookie campaign, and a nice start in 2007. I still think he'll prove to be a better pick over Reggie Bush.

Reggie Bush, RB, Saints: 268 carries, 999 yards, 3.7 YPC, 9 TDs, 138 receptions, 1,019 yards, 4 TDs
    May not have had value as a RB, but he helped bring this franchise back to accountability. He and Brees were the face of the NFL last season and has been a great asset to the franchise. On field production not at it's best though.

Vince Young, QB, Titans: 22 games played, 20 games started, 277/508, 54.5%, 3,054 yards, 15 TD, 21 INT, 65.2 rating, 130 rushes, 717 yards, 4 TD
    Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2006. Hasn't been especially productive passing the ball, but still has been an effective QB. 6-2 Titans, weren't expected to do anything this year.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Jets: Has started every game of his career. Has been solid since his arrival. Living up to his billing as franchise LT.

A.J. Hawk, LB, Packers: 24 games played and started. 171 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 3 INT's.
    Has lived up to his "ballhawk" role thus far. Was dubbed as the biggest sure thing of the draft. So far, that holds evident.

Vernon Davis, TE, 49ers: 45 catches, 518 yards, 4 TD
    Has been productive, but a bit injury-plagued for the early part of the year. So far, has warranted Top 6 selection as a TE. Still plenty of time and still has the potential.

Michael Huff, S, Raiders: 120 tackles, 1 Sack, 1 Safety, 6 passes defended
    Hasn't made an interception yet, but has still been good. A key piece to that improving defense.

Donte Whitner, S, Bills: 159 tackles, 4 passes defended, 1 INT
    I feel he was the best defensive player as a rookie in 2006. He and Ko Simpson have formed a great young duo.

Ernie Sims, LB, Lions: 195 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT
    [I]He's been a monster. Undersized, but overly fast. Really was a great pick by Matt Millen. Back-to-back for him with Sims and CJ.[/I

Matt Leinart, QB, Cardinals: 17 games played, 16 games started. 274/489, 56%, 3,194 yards, 13 TD, 16 INT, 33 rushes, 91 yards, 2 TD
    Has showed good poise and leadership, but numbers haven't been good yet. I still feel he'll be a great QB once he returns next year, hopefully with a better offensive line.

Jay Cutler, QB, Broncos: 13 games played, 13 games started, 222/356, 63.2, 2,691 yards, 17 TD, 13 INT. 31 rushes, 99 yards, 1 TD
    Statistically has been the best QB of the class. That hasn't translated to team success though in 2007.

Haloti Ngata, DL, Ravens: 23 games played, 23 games started, 54 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 INT.
    Has played DE in the 3-4 after being pegged as a NT prior to the draft. Good, but not spectacular.

Kamerion Wimbley, LB, Browns: 90 tackles, 14 sacks.
    Has been the rush-backer for Romeo Crenell, and excelled in that role.

Broderick Bunkley, DT, Eagles: 25 tackles, 2 sacks
    Didn't start as a rookie but has started every game this season and notched two sacks.

Tye Hill, CB, Rams: 67 tackles, 6 Passes defended, 3 INT

Jason Allen, DB, Dolphins: 29 tackles, 1 pass defended, 1 INT

Chad Greenway, LB, Vikings: 52 tackles
    Sat out 2006 with injury. Started every game this year. Averagin 6.5 tackles per contest.

Bobby Carpenter, LB, Cowboys: 26 tackles, 1.5 sacks

Antonio Cromartie, CB, Chargers: 37 tackles, 12 passes defended, 4 INTs
    Has stepped up this year. Also proven he's a threat with the ball in his hands.

Tamba Hali, DE, Chiefs: 78 tackles, 11 sacks, 1 INT

Laurence Maroney, RB, Patriots: 264 carries, 1,162 yards, 4.3 YPC, 6 TDs, 24 receptions, 231 yards, 1 TD

Manny Lawson, LB, 49ers: 68 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 INT

Davin Joseph, G, Buccaneers: Started every game, not sure, but he must be doing okay.

Santonio Holmes, WR, Steelers: 75 catches, 1,250 yards, 6 TD, 4 rushes, 25 yards

Johnathan Joseph, CB, Bengals: 81 tackles, 24 passes defended, 1 INT

John McCargo, DT, Bills: 18 tackles, 1 Sack

DeAngelo Williams, RB, Panthers: 185 carries, 819 yards, 4.5 YPC, 2 TD, 49 receptions, 402 yards, 2 TD
    Still playing 2nd fiddle to Foster even though he's obviously the best back on the team.

Marcedes Lewis, TE, Jaguars: 33 receptions, 346 yards, 1 TD

Nick Mangold, C, Jets: Started every game. Playing very well.

Joseph Addai, RB, Colts: 375 rushes, 1,785 yards, 4.8 YPC, 14 TD, 63 receptions, 530 yards, 3 TD
    Easily been the best pick of the 1st round thus far, statistically.

Kelly Jennings, CB, Seahawks: 73 tackles, 11 passes defended, 1 INT

Mathias Kiwanuka, DE/LB, Giants: 92 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 2 INT
    Would be a great rush backer in a 3-4. Excelling on 3rd down for the Giants.

• no love
    replied
    1a. Vernon Davis: C+/B- He has always showed flashes of amazing athleticism but he has been injured
    1b. Manny Lawson: B- Play very solid in his first year and really looked like he was turning the corner, then got put on IR
    3. Brandon Williams: F Did not contribute as a receiver and was not explosive as a returner, he was cut this year
    4. Michael Robinson: C Developmental guy who has shown flashes but not much more, he get an average grade because of this position switch
    5. Parys Haralson: D Was on IR all of last year and has not shown much this year
    6. Delanie Walker: C- Has shown flashes of ability, but lacks as a blocker and has inconsistent hands
    6. Marcus Hudson: B Has been playing well as a swing cornerback
    6. Melvin Oliver: B+ Played solid last year but got hurt and is on IR this year
    7. Vickiel Vaughn: F Special Teams player, got put on IR last year and was cut this year

So in the past two years we cut 2 players. And lost 3 to IR for at least one year. 6 players were switching positions so they are very developmental.

It seems that the strategy for this draft was to just increase the overall athleticism of the team, get some good character leaders and develop talent for the future (3-4 years down the road).

Leave a comment:

• bored of education
    replied
    Tamba in another year or two will be a force, he is still very raw. Only in his 4th year of playing football or 5th year

Leave a comment:

• marks01234
    replied
    Originally posted by Ewing View Post
    I'm glad you think a guy who didn't start a game his rookie season is better than the reigning Rookie of the Year.
    Notice I said relative to where they were drafted. I held Vince Young, Mario Williams and Reggie Bush to a much higher standard than Bunkley and the other selections.

Leave a comment:

• bored of education
    replied
    TAMBA HALI IS A BEAST. Him and JAllen are awesome

Leave a comment:

• Ewing
    replied
    While I agree that Young needs to get better when it comes to interceptions he was facing a defense he had never seen before. He still shouldn't have been picked off but it's still very early in his career and I think he's only to get better with time. Cunningham didn't explode until his third year in the league and I expect the same from Vince. I think next year is the year he'll put it all together and become the quarterback many thought he could be.

Leave a comment:

• SchizophrenicBatman
    replied
    The Titans would have beat the Panthers by 40 points last week if Vince Young hadn't thrown 2 interceptions in the end zone

The Titans still won by 13 points despite the fact that the Panthers got the ball off turnovers four times. Why? They scored none of the times off of turnovers thanks to the Titans defense

Leave a comment:

• Ewing
    replied
    Originally posted by Shiver View Post
    I have watched three Titans' games. He is one of the league's worst Quarterbacks at this moment, upside aside.
    If we're talking playing the pocket I would agree he's towards the bottom but overall quarterback play the guy is money. He's never going to put up sexy stats but he comes through at the right times. Anytime the team needs a big play or a comeback he's always there. Not to mention that without the threat of his speed our running game wouldn't be nearly as good. You think Chris Brown ran for 175 yards in week one because he's that good? No, it was because of the blocking up front and the defense scheming against Vince doing something.

Leave a comment:

• Shiver
    replied
    I have watched three Titans' games. He is one of the league's worst Quarterbacks at this moment, upside aside.

Leave a comment:

• Ewing
    replied
    The Titans are winning in spite of him right now. Attributing any of their 6-2 record to Vince Young is a slap in the face to the Titans' defense.
    In spite of him? Have you even watched a Titans game or are you just talking out of your ass? He may not be putting up flashy numbers but without him the running game wouldn't been nearly as good.

Leave a comment:

• Ewing
    replied
    Originally posted by marks01234 View Post
    Relative to where they were selected.

Mario Williams, DE, Texans: D+
    Reggie Bush, RB, Saints: D
    Vince Young, QB, Titans: C+
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Jets: B
    A.J. Hawk, LB, Packers: B
    Vernon Davis, TE, 49ers: D+
    Michael Huff, S, Raiders: C
    Donte Whitner, S, Bills: B
    Ernie Sims, LB, Lions: B+
    Matt Leinart, QB, Cardinals: D
    Jay Cutler, QB, Broncos: B-
    Haloti Ngata, DL, Ravens: B-
    Kamerion Wimbley, LB, Browns: A-
    Broderick Bunkley, DT, Eagles: B-
    Tye Hill, CB, Rams: B-
    Jason Allen, DB, Dolphins: D-
    Chad Greenway, LB, Vikings: C-
    Bobby Carpenter, LB, Cowboys: F
    Antonio Cromartie, CB, Chargers: B-
    Tamba Hali, DE, Chiefs: A
    Laurence Maroney, RB, Patriots: C+
    Manny Lawson, LB, 49ers: C+
    Davin Joseph, G, Buccaneers: C-
    Santonio Holmes, WR, Steelers: B
    Johnathan Joseph, CB, Bengals: C
    John McCargo, DT, Bills: B
    DeAngelo Williams, RB, Panthers: D
    Marcedes Lewis, TE, Jaguars: D
    Nick Mangold, C, Jets: B+
    Joseph Addai, RB, Colts: A+
    Kelly Jennings, CB, Seahawks: C-
    Mathias Kiwanuka, DE/LB, Giants: A+
    I'm glad you think a guy who didn't start a game his rookie season is better than the reigning Rookie of the Year.

Leave a comment:

• SenorGato
    replied
    Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
    I personally haven't been that impressed with Ferguson and doubt if he'll ever be an elite LT in this league. From what I read, last year he played most of the season around 285 lbs. He gets pushed around way too much (in both the run and the pass game) and he has pretty much maxed his frame out. He's not going to be able to add much - if any - additional weight and power.
    We watching the same guy?

As a Jets fan who was formerly critical of D'Brick as a rookie (because of the size issues)...I'm very impressed by his play this year. The only guy who really beat him this year was Jarvis Green.

The poor play of Adrian Clarke is what's hurting our left side. D'Brick's been gold this year. I think he's a Pro Bowler within the next 2 years.

Leave a comment:

• BrownsTown
    replied
    The Titans are winning in spite of him right now. Attributing any of their 6-2 record to Vince Young is a slap in the face to the Titans' defense.
    Exactly. It gets to a point when maybe you don't give the credit to the QB who's playing at a level way below average. If it was, say, Tarvaris Jackson putting up the same stats people would be calling for his benching. He shouldn't get credit just because he's the only one on the team that people can name.

Oh and I don't really have anything against VY if my sig says otherwise, I just thought it was funny.

Leave a comment:

• Shiver
    replied
    Originally posted by marks01234 View Post
    I don't really feel his offense is setting him up to succeed as a passer.

He also brings the running game.

Lastly he is doing something that no other young QB from the previous three drafts has done - Leading his team to a level of play beyond their expectations.

Leave a comment:

• no love
    replied
    When you take a qb like Vince, who comes from a spread offense there has to be a certain grace period where he can learn how to be a drop back passer, his numbers will surely improve once his fundamentals get a bit better. The important thing is that he has the confidence to not get rattled by poor play.

And his lack of numbers this year can be attributed to what his offense game plan is doing this year. I think Norm is trying to force Vince to be a better pocket qb so that he can learn the game better. Because of this, they don't have him running around all over the place where he can create mismatches because of his mobility. I think it will help him in the long run, but right now it's just killing his fantasy value.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information