X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
    Originally posted by yourfavestoner
    Originally posted by Bohleive
    This seems like it was obviously at least a small mistake, choosing Jax as the expansion. Not to beat a dead horse, but one of the more interesting issues here to me is was it unethical for Tagliabue to put the expanision team there just to placate his buddy Jack Kent Cooke. And it was a bad business move too. How many now Ravens fans were really former skins fans? Not me. It was probably Tags' biggest mistake. Again, no offense to Jags fans.
    There's no offense taken, as it's all water under the bridge anyways. Plus, there's the fact that I think it's ridiculous that it took the NFL almost twenty years to give Baltimore a team after losing the Colts.

I also think it's ridiculous that Irsay was allowed to take the rights of the Colts with him. But I guess they learned their lesson, as that was the move that predicated the league forcing Art Modell to leave the rights of the Browns with the city of Cleveland.

But that's a whole other issue...
    I could be wrong, but I believe the Irsay family founded the Colts. The Modell family did not found the Browns, (obviously by the name), that's another huge part of it.
    Irsays bought the Colts after the Unitas era.

Comment

[quote="Jughead10"]
      Originally posted by Splat420
      The Chiefs are in small market and have one of the bigger stadium's in the NFL Seating Capacity 79,451 it can be done.
      Kansas City draws from all over the place though. If you like in Kansas, Oklahoma, or Nebraska you're just as likely to be a Chiefs fan as anything else.

Jacksonville basically draws from Northern Florida and that's it. It was an awful move to put a football team there in the first place. That being said, I think the Bills are the worst-placed team in the NFL, and I would keep a close on on the rumors of them eventually moving to Toronto.
      Buffalo has some die hard fans though.
      Yes but Jacksonville at least has money and industries that can invest in the advertisements, media market, etc.

Fans are honestly a very overated aspect of what makes a market.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088
        How does Jacksonville have a franchise and LA dosen't?
        because LA had three teams and they all failed

Comment

The Chiefs are in small market and have one of the bigger stadium's in the NFL Seating Capacity 79,451 it can be done.
          Kansas City draws from all over the place though. If you like in Kansas, Oklahoma, or Nebraska you're just as likely to be a Chiefs fan as anything else.

Jacksonville basically draws from Northern Florida and that's it. It was an awful move to put a football team there in the first place. That being said, I think the Bills are the worst-placed team in the NFL, and I would keep a close on on the rumors of them eventually moving to Toronto.
          I think if the Bills or Jags move it will be to LA I don't think LA should get another chance but the NFL wants a team there bad so i think they have a better chance then Toronto.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10

Buffalo has some die hard fans though. Their fan base is not even close to as bad as Jacksonville.
            Like I said, it usually takes generations for a team to build a solid bond with its city. It's a major sociological issue that I think gets overlooked when analyzing fan bases. If you think about it, the first generation of the fan base for an expansion team is people who have never had a pro team in their city before, and don't have a real attachment to the team. When the team first comes, buying tickets to the game is just the newest "fad" and after a few losing seasons, that fad wears off - just like any other ones. The die hard fans will come as the kids who grow up with the team and are more "die hard" fans get old enough to become season ticket holders.

Think about all of the teams who have what's considered a "die hard" fan base. The ones that usually come to mind the most quickly are the Bears, Packers, Steelers, and Giants - all teams that have been in the league since the 1930s.

Comment

Jacksonville needs to be out of the NFL and the team needs to be put in a place where fans are starving for a team. I don't think LA really is starving for a team, but one city that would do anything in the world would be Las Vegas!!! Look at Green Bay and Kansas City, two cities that lack success in anything else, but when it comes to football, that is what they live for.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28
                Jacksonville needs to be out of the NFL and the team needs to be put in a place where fans are starving for a team. I don't think LA really is starving for a team, but one city that would do anything in the world would be Las Vegas!!! Look at Green Bay and Kansas City, two cities that lack success in anything else, but when it comes to football, that is what they live for.
                Las Vegas makes so much less sense than Los Angeles. It's just a much smaller version with even bigger concerns. NBA teams can work in smaller-city markets that the NFL cannot. This is why an NBA team can play in Oklahoma City, which would never be feasible for an NFL team.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner
                  Originally posted by Jughead10

Buffalo has some die hard fans though. Their fan base is not even close to as bad as Jacksonville.
                  Like I said, it usually takes generations for a team to build a solid bond with its city. It's a major sociological issue that I think gets overlooked when analyzing fan bases. If you think about it, the first generation of the fan base for an expansion team is people who have never had a pro team in their city before, and don't have a real attachment to the team. When the team first comes, buying tickets to the game is just the newest "fad" and after a few losing seasons, that fad wears off - just like any other ones. The die hard fans will come as the kids who grow up with the team and are more "die hard" fans get old enough to become season ticket holders.

Think about all of the teams who have what's considered a "die hard" fan base. The ones that usually come to mind the most quickly are the Bears, Packers, Steelers, and Giants - all teams that have been in the league since the 1930s.
                  It has just as much to do, if not more, with geography. It's warm in Florida. You can go to the beach. You can't do **** in Pittsburgh or Cleveland. Trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bohleive
                    No offense to Jag's fans, but there's no way the expansion should've landed in Jax over Baltimore. It was a disgrace and a total hose-job. That said, I love my Ravens.
                    It ended up better for us, if Modell didnt hire his buddy Newsome we wouldnt have had that great D we have today.

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28
                      Las Vegas makes so much less sense than Los Angeles. It's just a much smaller version with even bigger concerns. NBA teams can work in smaller-city markets that the NFL cannot. This is why an NBA team can play in Oklahoma City, which would never be feasible for an NFL team.
                      I don't get why Oklahmo City woudl never be feasible for an NFL team. Please explain. I always thought Portland would be a good spot for an NFL team.

Comment

I've always wondered why my current homestate Virginia has no professional sports teams, I mean the best we had was the Dazzle of the NBDL and they even took them away from us last year. I mean Virginia is a big state probably our most historically traditional state and the home of all the first presidents and the Jamestown colony. I mean what do we need to do to get a team, it's not like we are North Dakota or anything, no harm intended.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                        http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                        Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                        http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by Ghettosermon
                          I've always wondered why my current homestate Virginia has no professional sports teams, I mean the best we had was the Dazzle of the NBDL and they even took them away from us last year. I mean Virginia is a big state probably our most historically traditional state and the home of all the first presidents and the Jamestown colony. I mean what do we need to do to get a team, it's not like we are North Dakota or anything, no harm intended.
                          Where exactly would they put it in Virginia? DC ruins it for you.

Comment

The VB/Norfolk area has a large population and was in the running to get the Nats, never happened and I was fine with that, but I think SE VA should have a football team. Northern VA has many people too, but is probably too close to DC and Baltimore for the NFL to want to put a team there.

Comment

Living in Pentagon City which is basically D.C. I have no problem with not having a team but furthur south around Richmond, Hampton, Gynia Beach they deserve an sports team, I mean many of them cheer for the Panthers and Bobcats because that's what's closest.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Living in Pentagon City which is basically D.C. I have no problem with not having a team but furthur south around Richmond, Hampton, Gynia Beach they deserve an sports team, I mean many of them cheer for the Panthers and Bobcats because that's what's closest.
                                They have the Tide. But didn't they just move out too? Ha. I drive through that area all the time. There isn't much there to a support a team.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information