No announcement yet.

Small Market Economics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jacksonville does have a fairly exciting team though.
    Players like Maurice Jones-Drew(or is it the other way around) who are quick and real finnesse type players do bring a sort of excitement to the game and so that might save them. Also have any of yall ever been to KC? It keeps on getting compered to GB, but if youve ever been to KC youd notice skyscraper-type buildings, not as tall as in NY or nothing but KC isnt all that small time to me.

Comment

Originally posted by neko4
      jacksonville does have a fairly exciting team though.
      Players like Maurice Jones-Drew(or is it the other way around) who are quick and real finnesse type players do bring a sort of excitement to the game and so that might save them. Also have any of yall ever been to KC? It keeps on getting compered to GB, but if youve ever been to KC youd notice skyscraper-type buildings, not as tall as in NY or nothing but KC isnt all that small time to me.
      KC is much like Green Bay in that their DMAs (designated market areas) are small, but their EMA (extended market areas) are huge. They both draw from all over their entire state.

And in regards to Jacksonville: just win. It'll take care of everything, especially since the market keeps growing and growing. I'd be much more concerned about a team like Buffalo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bohleive
        Originally posted by steelernation77
        I like Pittsburgh
        And may god have mercy on your soul...
        There's just as much to do as Baltimore, with the added bonus of not having to worry about getting shot around every corner.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFpnxVrT8Js

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088
          How does Jacksonville have a franchise and LA dosen't?
          B/C there is way more to do in LA and they could care less about football. What does JAX have besides trhe jags?

Comment

Originally posted by locseti
            B/C there is way more to do in LA and they could care less about football. What does JAX have besides trhe jags?
            yeah, there's pretty much nothing to do in NYC, that's why the area's supported two NFL teams for years. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
              yeah, there's pretty much nothing to do in NYC, that's why the area's supported two NFL teams for years. :roll:
              I see that you know about as much about NYC and LA as you do about football :roll: In other words, nothing. :roll:

LA has much nicer weather than NYC. LA has two major college football teams. NYC has Rutgers. LA has Disney and Las Vegas is a short drive away. New York has the Bronx and Atlanta City is a short drive away. :roll:

Also New York has a population that supports sports. In LA it's Hollywood and glamour.

I'm not surprised that you are sticking your foot in your mouth again. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by eacantdraft
                I see that you know about as much about NYC and LA as you do about football :roll: In other words, nothing. :roll:

LA has much nicer weather than NYC. LA has two major college football teams. NYC has Rutgers. LA has Disney and Las Vegas is a short drive away. New York has the Bronx and Atlanta City is a short drive away. :roll:

Also New York has a population that supports sports. In LA it's Hollywood and glamour.

the bolded bit is the only part of that that was worth saying. but hey, i could essentialize LA as just having gang wars, being covered in pollution so thick you can't see the sun, and having such crap traffic you can't get to anything you'd ever want to do anyways. but then, i'm not a complete moron and i've come to terms with the fact that arguments like that a) don't prove your point and b) make you sound like an idiot if someone's ever been to both places.

but yes, feel free to imagine that the ONLY thing to do in NYC is go to the bronx.

Comment

the bolded bit is the only part of that that was worth saying. but hey, i could essentialize LA as just having gang wars, being covered in pollution so thick you can't see the sun, and having such crap traffic you can't get to anything you'd ever want to do anyways. but then, i'm not a complete moron and i've come to terms with the fact that arguments like that a) don't prove your point and b) make you sound like an idiot if someone's ever been to both places.

but yes, feel free to imagine that the ONLY thing to do in NYC is go to the bronx.
                  Ha, I was about to comment on that too. There are tons of reasons not to be a sports fan in NYC. Hell, I would imagine 4 out of 5 random NYers don't even know who Alex Rodriguez is and NYC is more of a baseball town than a football town.

Comment

No you are not a complete moron. You are so imcompetent that you even failed to be a complete moron. :roll:

Care to your explaination why LA has no NFL franchises. Surely a genius like yourself can come up with one other than. :roll: :roll: must be some kind the short bus lingo.

Comment

LA could easily sustain a franchise. Just because the Rams and Raiders moved doesn't mean it's not a viable market. Cities lose and regain teams all the time. That doesn't mean they can't sustain a franchise.

Also to imply that LA doesn't have a market that sustain sports is absurd. They have two baseball teams, two basketball teams, and a two hockey teams. Not to mention to colleges that are highly competitive in almost everything. But yeah....it's all just about glitz and glamour.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                        LA could easily sustain a franchise. Just because the Rams and Raiders moved doesn't mean it's not a viable market. Cities lose and regain teams all the time. That doesn't mean they can't sustain a franchise.

Also to imply that LA doesn't have a market that sustain sports is absurd. They have two baseball teams, two basketball teams, and a two hockey teams. Not to mention to colleges that are highly competitive in almost everything. But yeah....it's all just about glitz and glamour.
                        LA is not a friendly market for the NFL. People of the area are fickle. Theyre not like East Coast cities who are big and support their franchises, they won't support their team through thick and thin. They only root for teams when its winning. Look at SD, they all of a sudden had a bunch of fans this year, whereas in years past you couldn't even fill the stadium. USC is now the hot team to root for because theyre winners, but before Carroll no one in the area gave 2 shits about USC.

The Rams and Raiders left because theres no fan loyalty. LA is a bunch of bandwagoners quite honestly. Also couple the fact that many who live there are not originally from LA, and you have no real market to advertise to.

Guys there are just different. My best friend moved there from Jersey to Cali and he hates it now. The fakeness is just too much for an east coast guy.

The only franchise that has success there is the Lakers. And thats because theyre the Yankees of basketball.

Comment

Every team should create extra attractions in the area to create more revenue. Green Bay is the smallest market and has one of the highest revenues because they know how to market the team and have turned Lambeau into a museum and landmark rather than just a place to play football. Now I understand a large part of the revenue is based off of tradition, history, high ticket prices, a legend in Brett Favre, (imagine how many Brett Favre jerseys have been sold) usually winning seasons, and huge fan base all over the nation.

My advice to any small market team would be to market your players, create catch phrases, build these guys up in the community and most importantly, WIN. Do whatever it takes (legally :D ). Win a Super Bowl, the 2005 Chicago White Sox ( I know it's not a small market team) won the World Series and had no problem selling tickets and merchandise, and now they're in the top 5 in the league in salary, they're a big time baseball club now. For the longest time the White Sox have been the second most popular baseball team in Chicago to the Cubs (in fact they still are but it's much closer than it used to be) and drew about 25,000 fans a game and sell way more than that now.

Do whatever you can to market the team to the area. The closest AFC team to the Jags is the Dolphins way down in Miami. You can be a fan of the Falcons AND Jags or Buccaneers AND Jags. Run commercials with John Henderson and Marcus Stroud, put up billboards and posters. Call them the twin towers or something. I think the Jags have ton of players they can market to the entire area. That stadium is electric in a big game. But the best way to create revenue is to go deep in the postseason.
                          I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

No you are not a complete moron. You are so imcompetent that you even failed to be a complete moron. :roll:

Care to your explaination why LA has no NFL franchises. Surely a genius like yourself can come up with one other than. :roll: :roll: must be some kind the short bus lingo.
                            and yet i'm not the one who said that NYC only has the bronx.

and yeah, the excellent use of the english language in the second paragraph there clearly demonstrates that *i* should be riding the short bus. regardless.

LA is, in my mind, full of pathetic sports fans (not all of them sarf). but to imply that they don't care about sports because they have "better things to do" is absurd, as demonstrated.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                              Originally posted by bearsfan_51

LA is not a friendly market for the NFL. People of the area are fickle. Theyre not like East Coast cities who are big and support their franchises, they won't support their team through thick and thin. They only root for teams when its winning. Look at SD, they all of a sudden had a bunch of fans this year, whereas in years past you couldn't even fill the stadium. USC is now the hot team to root for because theyre winners, but before Carroll no one in the area gave 2 shits about USC.

The Rams and Raiders left because theres no fan loyalty. LA is a bunch of bandwagoners quite honestly. Also couple the fact that many who live there are not originally from LA, and you have no real market to advertise to.

Guys there are just different. My best friend moved there from Jersey to Cali and he hates it now. The fakeness is just too much for an east coast guy.

The only franchise that has success there is the Lakers. And thats because theyre the Yankees of basketball.
                              And this is the reason why I hate southern California teams and their fans.

Comment

and yet i'm not the one who said that NYC only has the bronx.

and yeah, the excellent use of the english language in the second paragraph there clearly demonstrates that *i* should be riding the short bus. regardless.

LA is, in my mind, full of pathetic sports fans (not all of them sarf). but to imply that they don't care about sports because they have "better things to do" is absurd, as demonstrated.
                                Of course New York has more than the Bronx. :roll: I was just joking and pointing out LA has more gold standards than NY. NY has nothing like Disney and Atlantic City looks like a war zone and looks nothing like Vegas. LA wins. They also have college football that draws quite a bit of support. LA has UCLA and USC, NYC has Rutgers and Fordham. Enough said.

Not everyone thinks pro sports is the best thing since slice bread anyways.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information