• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL wants officials to eject players for illegal hits ...LINK

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7430214?MSNHPHMA

Helmet-to-helmet hits to draw ejections
    Associated Press, Updated 3 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) - The NFL has told its officiating crews to start ejecting players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits.

The new policy was outlined Saturday in a memo from supervisor of officials Mike Pereira, which was obtained by The Associated Press. It followed two fines last weekend for what the officiating department had determined were hits against players in defenseless positions.

One fine was against Washington Redskins safety LaRon Landry, who will forfeit a game check of $16,764 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on New York Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens. The other was against Philadelphia defensive tackle LeJuan Ramsey, who was fined his game check of $21,176 for spearing Dallas' Julius Jones.

Two weeks ago, San Diego cornerback Drayton Florence was fined $15,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit that gave Houston quarterback Matt Schaub a concussion.

"Officials will be reminded this week to pay strict attention to these rules and disqualify the fouling player if the action is judged to be flagrant," Pereira wrote in the memo sent to the 32 NFL teams. "Actions that involve flagrant helmet to helmet contact are the likely acts that will include disqualification. Our commissioner and this office remain very focused on the safety of our players."

In the memo fining Landry and Ramsey, NFL director of football operations Gene Washington said emphasis would be on hits against players in defenseless positions.

Landry previously was fined $7,500 for two unnecessary roughness violations on Oct. 21 against Arizona. Ramsey was fined $5,000 on Oct. 14 for roughing the passer against the Jets.

After Florence was fined, the Texans complained that the punishment wasn't severe enough.

"We are disappointed in the sense that we have lost our starting quarterback for at least one game after the player took the crown of his helmet and delivered an illegal blow to Matt's jaw and the fine levied is only a small fraction of the player's weekly pay," general manager Rick Smith said.

"Is that equitable? The punishment doesn't appear to fit the crime when all factors are considered."

Originally Posted by scottyboy
    my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
    But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons

Well I think they should, atleast for a quarter or so

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

This could get out of hand if the hits are wussy calls on QBs.

by BoneKrusher
      <DG> how metal unseen
      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

I guess if the player had a chance to tackle the QB without the helmet and he hits helmet to helmet i guess thats alright but if he didnt then let them play.

Its football ffs, Big hits are apart of Football. Players know this, i know they are trying to protect the players but anyone can injuried on any hit not just helmet t o helmet.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure

Comment

Does anyone else hate how football is continually pussifying?*

*Pussifying - The act of becoming more *****-like.

RIP ST

Comment

I would agree with this rule on the Drayton Florence hit... When i saw that i was surprised he didn't get fined more it was an obvious blatant Dirty Hit.

Comment

This is a bull **** idea

Comment

If you even look at Brady,Manning or Farve wrong out comes the flag it is such a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
                  Yeah, I'm so sick of the pampering of quarterbacks in this era. These guys wouldn't last a ****ing game during the 50's and 60's.

Comment

Sigh, typical No Fun League strikes again.

It's not like these guys are some schlubs who come off the streets only to discover that, 'Hey, man, we can get hurt doing this!'.

Seriously. If you don't want to take some hits then go play flag football, sheesh.

I suppose that's one of the reasons I really love Adrian Peterson. He doesn't just step out of bounds and accept the yardage the defense gives him. He clashes heads and bowls through defenders. Rare to find that quality in a RB these days.
                    (shameless self-promotion)
                    Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Originally posted by Forenci View Post
                      I suppose that's one of the reasons I really love Adrian Peterson. He doesn't just step out of bounds and accept the yardage the defense gives him. He clashes heads and bowls through defenders. Rare to find that quality in a RB these days.
                      Yep I guess LJ has 19 million reasons not to do that any more.:(

Comment

I think players who blatantly attempt to injure should be ejected. I don't think a lot of helmet to helmet hits are intentional. In the NFL guys are flying around out of control all the time trying to make plays, penalizing for accidental helmet to helmet hits is not the answer.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
                        Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Komp View Post
                          I think players who blatantly attempt to injure should be ejected. I don't think a lot of helmet to helmet hits are intentional. In the NFL guys are flying around out of control all the time trying to make plays, penalizing for accidental helmet to helmet hits is not the answer.
                          Agreed.

If it's a blatant attempt to injure (ehm - Wilfork on Losman), it should be an ejection (and suspension). But, I'd hate to see a star player get thrown out late in a tie game for some ******** call. As Komp said, it happens... players are flying around and someone is bound to get hit by a helmet.

This will eventually backfire, though. The ******** flag will be thrown when the first game-changing ejection (on a bad call) is made.
                          Left NFLDC: 20080918.

Comment

lame.Football is a collision sport.
                            "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

My first reaction is this is a good idea. Especially when Laron Landry decided he needed to headbutt Kellen Clemons going full speed. No helmet collision while Landry was trying to sack him, just a heatbutt going full speed after the ball was thrown.

But........

Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
                              Unseen's right. Over the past two years I've seen some of the biggest bull**** roughing the passer calls ever and I remember Osi Umenyiora letting Vince Young go because he was afraid he was next.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information