• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manning agrees to restructure contract

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer
    February 21, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Peyton Manning has agreed to restructure his contract with the Indianapolis Colts to save the team nearly $8 million in salary cap space.

The Super Bowl MVP was to receive a $10 million roster bonus during the offseason but by converting the money into a regular signing bonus, the Colts can prorate that amount over the remaining four years of his deal. That saves Indianapolis space under the cap, which is $109 million.

These roster bonuses are so clever. They are now put there to insure you are still healthy and playing instead of just giving to them as regular signing bonuses originally. From Peyton's side what the hell does he care if the 10 milllion in his pocket is a roster bonus or signing bonus. Its still 10 mil in his account.

Comment

Good for Indy.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
      WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule
        Good for Indy.
        I wonder if they will lock up Freeney now or still have him play tagged?

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420
          Originally posted by diabsoule
          Good for Indy.
          I wonder if they will lock up Freeney now or still have him play tagged?
          I think they had to do this just to tag Freeney. I don't think they were under enough money to even carry the franchise figure.

Comment

Peyton isnt even in the top 3 for highest paid QB's. He easily could be if he wanted to.

Im pretty sure that he would take a pay cut just to help his team. If Tom Moore ever retires, they should just hire Payton, while hes the QB to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10
              These roster bonuses are so clever. They are now put there to insure you are still healthy and playing instead of just giving to them as regular signing bonuses originally. From Peyton's side what the hell does he care if the 10 milllion in his pocket is a roster bonus or signing bonus. Its still 10 mil in his account.
              I don't believe the Colts have to claim signing bonuses against the cap.
              It's all crap anyways...since NFL Contracts aren't guarenteed...players
              look more to the signing bonus than incentive bonuses and overall contract "value".

in the end Peyton isn't going to be filing for foodstams anytime soon

Comment

Its not like he needed all that 10 mil he makes, But good team jesture

Comment

not surprising at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10
                    Pretty much. The Eagles have been doing this for years, and teams are just starting to catch on. We were actually talking about this in the thread that had the top salaries in 2006 by position. Manning's base salary the first three years was only $1 million, but he had $10 milion roster bonuses. This year in the contract, his base salary jumps way up and puts his cap hit at around $17 million. So just convert all that salary and roster bonus to signing bonus, which gets prorated over the life on the contract. It actually gives Manning more guaranteed money than before.

The only way this could possibly hurt the Colts is if Manning's play greatly drops off in the next few years or he starts getting plagued with injuries. Neither is likely to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by 49erfaithful
                      Its not like he needed all that 10 mil he makes, But good team jesture
                      You obviously don't understand how the salary cap works or what restructuring means.

JUST SO NOBODY ELSE GETS CONFUSED, RESTRUCTURING DOES NOT MEAN THE SAME THING AS TAKING A PAY CUT. THEY ARE JUST TAKING HIS BASE SALARY AND ROSTER BONUS AND CONVERTING IT TO SIGNING BONUS

Comment

Hasn't his whole profile done a 180. I used to hate him, thinking him an ugly nerd but since his tv ads I now see he has a personality and I actually like the guy. It doesn't surprise me he's done something for the team

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Comment

Originally posted by ninerfan
                          Hasn't his whole profile done a 180. I used to hate him, thinking him an ugly nerd but since his tv ads I now see he has a personality and I actually like the guy. It doesn't surprise me he's done something for the team
                          Again, this has nothing to do with a player doing something for his team. What player wouldn't want to convert unguaranteed salary and roster bonuses into guaranteed signing bonus?

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner
                            Again, this has nothing to do with a player doing something for his team. What player wouldn't want to convert unguaranteed salary and roster bonuses into guaranteed signing bonus?
                            Yes I know he's still gettin his $$$ but it also frees up money in the cap. Its a win - win for all at indy is my point.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner
                              Yes I know he's still gettin his $$$ but it also frees up money in the cap. Its a win - win for all at indy is my point.
                              That's the point that I've been trying to emphasize. It's not that Manning (or any player - I'm not trying to pick on Peyton) is doing something noble or righteous for his team. He's getting just as much out of it as they are.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information