Nate Clements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nate Clements

It seems like everyone is rumored to be going after Nate Clements once FA starts. A lot of teams have money to spend (like my Titans) and I'm trying to figure out where he'll go. My money right now is on either the Titans or 49ers.

I watched him play against Tennessee in week 15 this year, and he seems worth the hype. I'm curious as to why Buffalo won't re-sign him since they obviously have the cap room.

Does anybody have any insight on Nate Clements?
    "A lot of people say this and say that about us, but thatís a good thing. We want to keep it low, and we donít want all the hype going with the Tennessee Titans. We want to just keep it low. Yíall just keep talking about us, talking bad about us, so we can just continue to go out there each week and show the whole world what type of football team we are." -- Vince Young

T-minus 1 year until the beginning of the Titans Dynasty!

My problem with Buffalo attempting to resign Clements has to do with their scheme. In the Cover 2, CBs just shouldn't make close to Champ Bailey money. Namely because they aren't nearly as important. Champ Bailey, and the other top corners in the game, make big money mostly because of their ability in man to man and deep zone coverage. Where in a Cover 2, man to man coverage is masked. Just look at Chicago's corners for example. None of them are even considered good man to man defenders but they are good in their scheme, however most could be easily replaced.

Comment

Oh ... I wasn't aware that Buffalo ran a cover 2. I thought they were straight-up man. Maybe they'll make a run at Nick Harper? He'll be a lot cheaper than Nate.
      "A lot of people say this and say that about us, but thatís a good thing. We want to keep it low, and we donít want all the hype going with the Tennessee Titans. We want to just keep it low. Yíall just keep talking about us, talking bad about us, so we can just continue to go out there each week and show the whole world what type of football team we are." -- Vince Young

T-minus 1 year until the beginning of the Titans Dynasty!

Comment

Nope they are running mostly Cover 2 out there. At least that what I am under the assumption of. Which is another reason why they had Donte Whitner so high on their draft board last year. As safeties are arguably more important in that scheme.

Comment

Browns | Team will be aggressive in free agency
          Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:53:30 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns have $30 million in cap room and are planning to be aggressive in free agency.

Browns | Team might go after Clements in free agency
          Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:13:10 -0800

Mary Kay Cabot, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns might go after Buffalo Bills CB Nate Clements in free agency.

Clements is from Ohio and has said he would like to play here before, much like other OSU players. i think we have the upper hand over everyone right now, because we will pay him what he wants most likely.[/quote]

i have a quetion. Does a 3-4 CB have to be anything different or can a 4-3 CB basically step into the 3-4 with no problem? I dont know if they need to be different in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10
            My problem with Buffalo attempting to resign Clements has to do with their scheme. In the Cover 2, CBs just shouldn't make close to Champ Bailey money. Namely because they aren't nearly as important. Champ Bailey, and the other top corners in the game, make big money mostly because of their ability in man to man and deep zone coverage. Where in a Cover 2, man to man coverage is masked. Just look at Chicago's corners for example. None of them are even considered good man to man defenders but they are good in their scheme, however most could be easily replaced.
            We play less Cover 2 and more man coverage than people think. Our corners are slightly underated for their man coverage skills. Slightly.

Comment

This guy is going to get so much money it is stupid he is a great player don't get me wrong he picked the right year to be a FA CB that is for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by SFbear
                We play less Cover 2 and more man coverage than people think. Our corners are slightly underated for their man coverage skills. Slightly.
                Manning is a decent man corner. Vasher on the other hand, eh, not so much.

Comment

I hope he goes to the niners

Comment

He really isn't that great of a CB. He's probably around the 20-30 best CB's in the NFL and is the best CB in this years free agent market, but it shouldn't make teams want to give him a bigger contract than that of Champ Bailey(which he wants).

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

Originally posted by Brodeur
                      He really isn't that great of a CB. He's probably around the 20-30 best CB's in the NFL and is the best CB in this years free agent market, but it shouldn't make teams want to give him a bigger contract than that of Champ Bailey(which he wants).
                      He is top 15 IMO and has played like a top ten at times but is up and down at times.

Comment

Originally posted by SFbear
                        Manning is a decent man corner. Vasher on the other hand, eh, not so much.
                        From my observations, yes, Chicago did play a decent amount of man coverage, but only when there was a blitz coming. When you send 6 at the qb, man coverage becomes alot easier, and those are the times I see Chicago run man. Usually when they rush 4, I see a zone. I could be wrong though. The scheme is rather simple, they run a very basic scheme thats heavily dependent on player performances.

Comment

Cleveland's top 2 targets are probably gonna be Clements and Dielman. I would be suprised to see a team like Tennessee or San Francisco outbid for Nate who would choose the Browns over the Titans or '9ers if they all offered the exact same deal.

Comment

due to the cover 2 defense, he has had the ability to play wrecklessly because he has help over the top. this may be different if he is asked to play man to man against a prototypical 6'3 220lbs receiver such as roy williams/ andre johnson/ reggie wayne.
                            Packers 2008 record prediction: 9-7 w/o Favre, 11-5 with Favre

Comment

This was the first year in the Cover 2. He was still great before that.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information