Who are the top 10 RB's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Average OT LB View Post
    How are they going to improve the line by next year? if LJ gets back into the top 5 it'll be because of his talent, not hte line..
    You would be surprised what a player like Jake Long could do.

Comment

Originally posted by 619 View Post
      You would be surprised what a player like Jake Long could do.
      yeah i suppose you are right. But i wouldnt exactly count on it.. d-brick and gallery didnt exactly propell their running backs into the top 5.

sig by bosanac01

Comment

How are they going to improve the line by next year? if LJ gets back into the top 5 it'll be because of his talent, not hte line..
        How? It can happen in one year. We have a top 5 draft pick, over $20 million in cap room, and could possibly be getting Alex Gibbs for the offensive line coach. I never said the line would be all pro again like it used to be. But LJ still ran for over 1,700 yards in 2006 with a line that was pretty bad then.
        Just look at your own offensive line. They were pretty ****** in 2005 but with the addition of McNeill and the improvement of your other players they magically got better after only one season when nobody thought they could.

Comment

1. Ladainian Tomlinson
          2. Steven Jackson
          3. Brian Westbrook
          4. Willie Parker
          5. Adrian Peterson
          6. Marion Barber
          7. Fred Taylor
          8. Larry Johnson
          9. Joseph Addai
          10. Frank Gore

Comment

yeah i suppose you are right. But i wouldnt exactly count on it.. d-brick and gallery didnt exactly propell their running backs into the top 5.
            Neither one of them is the dominating run blocker that Long is.

But Long will not be our only addition. I expect us to add a center in the draft as well as a guard in free agency and maybe one or two other free agent linemen.

We still do have Brian Waters who is a pro bowler and Damion McIntosh was solid at left tackle and should be better at right tackle.

Comment

d-brick and mangold we're 2 cant miss prospects.. i dont see jet running backs lighting it up..

sig by bosanac01

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
                How? It can happen in one year. We have a top 5 draft pick, over $20 million in cap room, and could possibly be getting Alex Gibbs for the offensive line coach. I never said the line would be all pro again like it used to be. But LJ still ran for over 1,700 yards in 2006 with a line that was pretty bad then.
                Just look at your own offensive line. They were pretty ****** in 2005 but with the addition of McNeill and the improvement of your other players they magically got better after only one season when nobody thought they could.
                they magically got better? dielman was a beast the year before, but LT was a weakspot. Then we got a mauling run blocking Left tackle and LT just went bonanza on defenses to the left side. The line didnt really get any better, it was just so dominant to one side. That just indirectly helped out the right side. Now with Mcneil hitting a sophomore slump the line returned to what it was. were we so good this year? not really.. Lt won the rushing title tho, which just goes to show how talented he is.

sig by bosanac01

Comment

d-brick and mangold we're 2 cant miss prospects.. i dont see jet running backs lighting it up..
                  I don't see any Jets runningbacks with the talent of Larry Johnson.

Comment

they magically got better? dielman was a beast the year before, but LT was a weakspot. Then we got a mauling run blocking Left tackle and LT just went bonanza on defenses to the left side. The line didnt really get any better, it was just so dominant to one side. That just indirectly helped out the right side. Now with Mcneil hitting a sophomore slump the line returned to what it was. were we so good this year? not really.. Lt won the rushing title tho, which just goes to show how talented he is.
                    So that just goes to show the addition of one player can improve an offensive line alot. Like I said, we still have Brian Waters who is a pro bowl left guard. Put Jake Long, who is a very good run blocker, next to Waters and you could see the same effect.

Comment

Let's give this a go, I'll try to be as non-homeristic as possible:

1. LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego Chargers, 7th year
                      Beyond what entails being the best back in the league, what's especially impressive about LDT is the durability, the production he delivers year after year. Tony Dungy calls Edgerrin James one of the freak of nature backs we see a few of every generation, Tomlinson is another and who knows if we'll see more of them. First back to win consecutive rushing titles since Edge of 99-00.

2. Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia Eagles, 6th year
                      One of my favorite players in the league the last few years, he reminds me a great deal of Thurman Thomas. He's far and away the best player on the Eagles roster and he's literally carrying the offense, both as their leading rushing option and receiving option. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

3. Steven Jackson, St. Louis Rams, 4th year
                      Down season for S-Jax thanks to a groin injury, but he's such a beast when he's on the field. It's almost unfair that a guy that big and strong is that quick and has such good hands. One thing this season though: fumbles. Amazing that he's only 24 right now, the Rams should sign him to a long-term deal - I'd rather invest money in him than any unproven prospect out of college.

4. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings, 1st year
                      Not sure if I'm overrating Peterson a bit, in terms of evaluating him as an all-purpose back, but the guy is amazing blend of strength, speed, and agility. As maybe the best pure runner in the league right now, he has the benefit of playing with what is likely the best run-blocking offense in the league.

5. Clinton Portis, Washington Redskins, 6th year
                      Nothing has changed: when healthy, Portis is a top 5 all-purpose back in the league. Posted career-highs this season in receptions (47) and receiving yards (389), and he can do more in that area if given more opportunities/targets.

6. Edgerrin James, Arizona Cardinals, 9th year
                      A machine, he keeps on ticking and rarely if ever fails, including as a pass protector (Top 3 in the league) and as a receiver. Has a stellar knack for getting to and past the first down marker. Not the home-run threat he was earlier in his career but he's become more of a power runner to compensate for that, and is an exceptional all-purpose back otherwise. He's been paid millions annually since the day he walked into the league, but his love for the game is evident as he's never mailed it in. And he's never spoken out against a teammate, despite the fact that he was never given enough touches in the postseason. Future Hall of Famer, appreciate him now.

7. Fred Taylor, Jacksonville Jaguars, 9th year
                      Freddie T is still going strong, in fact the man can impressively break one at any time. Not used as a receiving threat as much as he used to be, thanks to the addition of Maurice Drew. A period in Taylor's life some years ago, which caused him to re-evaluate and wise up a bit, led to him taking better care of his body and that's resulted in him shedding the "Fragile Fred" monicker that once dogged him earlier in his career. In the last six seasons, Taylor has missed a total of nine games. Really eight, considering the Jags rested him and Maurice Drew for Week 17 of this season.

8. Joseph Addai, Indianapolis Colts, 2nd year
                      Probably cracks the Top 3 in the league in terms of pass protectors. Carrying the tradition of Marshall Faulk and Edgerrin James, he's done things in his first two years that neither did in their careers with the Colts, like being the first Colts back to ever post the rushing/receiving double-hundy in a game (versus the all-mighty Patriots this past November). And he's still getting better.

9. Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers, 3rd year
                      Is it just me, or did Frank the Tank look the fastest he's been in years this season? We might not have seen enough to be sure, thanks to playing behind one of the most miserable offensive lines in the league in 2007.

10. Larry Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs, 5th year
                      I've always criticized LJ for his shoddy pass protection, but he actually catches more balls than people might intiailly suspect. And of course, he's a workhorse who produced 3500-plus rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns in two years when he had a good offensive line. He paid for the ridiculous record-breaking workload of 2006 this season, hopefully he bounces back in 08.
                      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
                        Neither one of them is the dominating run blocker that Long is.

But Long will not be our only addition. I expect us to add a center in the draft as well as a guard in free agency and maybe one or two other free agent linemen.

We still do have Brian Waters who is a pro bowler and Damion McIntosh was solid at left tackle and should be better at right tackle.
                        just one marcus mcneil makes a difference is right- when you got the right players too... maybe if you get long, and he turns out not to be d-brick or gallery.. then it'll be because the line got better? .. the line that doesnt need to add a center in the draft and a guard in free agency .. and 2 others in free agency as well.. right..

.. odds are if LJ gets back to the top 5 its gonna be because LJ is super talented
                        Last edited by Average OT LB; 01-08-2008, 11:06 AM.

sig by bosanac01

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                          Let's give this a go, I'll try to be as non-homeristic as possible:

1. LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego Chargers, 7th year
                          Beyond what entails being the best back in the league, what's especially impressive about LDT is the durability, the production he delivers year after year. Tony Dungy calls Edgerrin James one of the freak of nature backs we see a few of every generation, Tomlinson is another and who knows if we'll see more of them. First back to win consecutive rushing titles since Edge of 99-00.

2. Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia Eagles, 6th year
                          One of my favorite players in the league the last few years, he reminds me a great deal of Thurman Thomas. He's far and away the best player on the Eagles roster and he's literally carrying the offense, both as their leading rushing option and receiving option. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

3. Steven Jackson, St. Louis Rams, 4th year
                          Down season for S-Jax thanks to a groin injury, but he's such a beast when he's on the field. It's almost unfair that a guy that big and strong is that quick and has such good hands. One thing this season though: fumbles. Amazing that he's only 24 right now, the Rams should sign him to a long-term deal - I'd rather invest money in him than any unproven prospect out of college.

4. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings, 1st year
                          Not sure if I'm overrating Peterson a bit, in terms of evaluating him as an all-purpose back, but the guy is amazing blend of strength, speed, and agility. As maybe the best pure runner in the league right now, he has the benefit of playing with what is likely the best run-blocking offense in the league.

5. Clinton Portis, Washington Redskins, 6th year
                          Nothing has changed: when healthy, Portis is a top 5 all-purpose back in the league. Posted career-highs this season in receptions (47) and receiving yards (389), and he can do more in that area if given more opportunities/targets.

6. Edgerrin James, Arizona Cardinals, 9th year
                          A machine, he keeps on ticking and rarely if ever fails, including as a pass protector (Top 3 in the league) and as a receiver. Has a stellar knack for getting to and past the first down marker. Not the home-run threat he was earlier in his career but he's become more of a power runner to compensate for that, and is an exceptional all-purpose back otherwise. He's been paid millions annually since the day he walked into the league, but his love for the game is evident as he's never mailed it in. And he's never spoken out against a teammate, despite the fact that he was never given enough touches in the postseason. Future Hall of Famer, appreciate him now.

7. Fred Taylor, Jacksonville Jaguars, 9th year
                          Freddie T is still going strong, in fact the man can impressively break one at any time. Not used as a receiving threat as much as he used to be, thanks to the addition of Maurice Drew. A period in Taylor's life some years ago, which caused him to re-evaluate and wise up a bit, led to him taking better care of his body and that's resulted in him shedding the "Fragile Fred" monicker that once dogged him earlier in his career. In the last six seasons, Taylor has missed a total of nine games. Really eight, considering the Jags rested him and Maurice Drew for Week 17 of this season.

8. Joseph Addai, Indianapolis Colts, 2nd year
                          Probably cracks the Top 3 in the league in terms of pass protectors. Carrying the tradition of Marshall Faulk and Edgerrin James, he's done things in his first two years that neither did in their careers with the Colts, like being the first Colts back to ever post the rushing/receiving double-hundy in a game (versus the all-mighty Patriots this past November). And he's still getting better.

9. Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers, 3rd year
                          Is it just me, or did Frank the Tank look the fastest he's been in years this season? We might not have seen enough to be sure, thanks to playing behind one of the most miserable offensive lines in the league in 2007.

10. Larry Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs, 5th year
                          I've always criticized LJ for his shoddy pass protection, but he actually catches more balls than people might intiailly suspect. And of course, he's a workhorse who produced 3500-plus rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns in two years when he had a good offensive line. He paid for the ridiculous record-breaking workload of 2006 this season, hopefully he bounces back in 08.
                          You have too much time on your hands.........

Comment

You guys have no idea how thankful I am that Brian Westbrook is finally getting his due as a star RB in this league...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

All these lists focus WAY to much on the most recent year... people like frank gore or LJ are no longer elite? well i guess it makes sense cause after gore's monster season, people were dubbing him the best miami U runningback.....

you need to see who has the most speed, the best vision, the best moves, durability, recieving ability, and other intangibles instead of just looking at stats

edit: good looks on the list GEO

Go Ravens!

Comment

Are you saying that Westbrook isn't a top 5 RB, or are you just angry that LJ and Gore aren't getting props?

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information