Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 Reasons Tom Brady is the Greatest QB Ever...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
    Brady is hardly even top 10 in my book
    I dont think any QB should be considered for GOAT until the end of their career and until they retire.

My top 10
    1-Johnny Unitas- oh how we forget of the greats before out time
    2-Montana- The greatest leader ever
    3-Elway- Until the end of his career never had too much talent, but was highly sucessful
    4-Favre- The records speak for themselves, and a super bowl seperates him from Marino
    5-Marino- The records
    6-Baugh- First big time passer
    7-Tarkenton- I loved watching his clips on ESPN Classic, i felt he was very dynamic
    8-Young- Played great in the short time he did
    9-Brady
    10-Manning- After the Super Bowl Win i can consider him a top QB

On this subject i dont believe Favre has ever had a WR core as good as Bradys

Pretty decent list, nice to see a Packer fan realizing that Favre is a top 5 QB ever, not the best ever.

Comment

I have Manning and Brady tied as CutlerChris does.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
        Pretty decent list, nice to see a Packer fan realizing that Favre is a top 5 QB ever, not the best ever.
        There is no denying Favre deserves to be in discussion for GOAT. Most of us don't think he is number 1, but he has to be included in the discussion. Especially if Marino is.

Originally posted by neko4 View Post
        Brady is hardly even top 10 in my book
        I dont think any QB should be considered for GOAT until the end of their career and until they retire.

My top 10
        1-Johnny Unitas- oh how we forget of the greats before out time
        2-Montana- The greatest leader ever
        3-Elway- Until the end of his career never had too much talent, but was highly sucessful
        4-Favre- The records speak for themselves, and a super bowl seperates him from Marino
        5-Marino- The records
        6-Baugh- First big time passer
        7-Tarkenton- I loved watching his clips on ESPN Classic, i felt he was very dynamic
        8-Young- Played great in the short time he did
        9-Brady
        10-Manning- After the Super Bowl Win i can consider him a top QB

On this subject i dont believe Favre has ever had a WR core as good as Bradys

I didn't forget Unitas, Baugh, or Tarkenton the game has changed so much, especially the QB position that I think it is impossible to compare them to the more recent QBs. The year before Montana came into the league, the rules were changed to open up the passing game. I think when the NFL started to crackdown on PI and illegal contact will also be seen as a cut off of being able to legitimately compare QBs.
        Last edited by someone447; 01-15-2008, 05:28 PM.
        I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
          I didn't say it to downplay favre, I'm just saying, anyone starting for as long as he did is bound to break career records.

And before '07 brady had absolutely nobody outiside of Deion Branch...
          Tell Testaverde that.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerCohen View Post
            Tom will never be considered the greatest QB. Hmm why you ask?

The **** people come up with....astounding.

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
              And before '07 brady had absolutely nobody outiside of Deion Branch...
              Yeah...you're right...hardly...give me a break...his weapons don't get NEARLY the love they deserve. That team could not FUNCTION without Faulk...without that offensive line...yes Branch was a stud...but he had good complimentary receivers as well...PLEASE tell me that Brown was a lackluster weapon...put down the pipe.

People make SO many excuses for Brady and the Patriots (2001 Super Bowl) makes me SO mad. Brady would be absolutely NOTHING without Adam Vinatieri. The Patriots FO is special...but Brady gets FAR too much credit...that is the best offensive line anywhere and has been...I know it's hopeless to argue with people about Tom 'loverboy' Brady but he's not GOAT or even top 10.

Comment

Not yet, neither Brady or Manning yet.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

It's way to early to even be having this conversation. Is he one of the best QB's ever? Unquestionably. Anyone who doubts that has absolutely zero credibility.

But I wouldn't call him the best... yet, and I may never. He's got another 6-8 years left in him, and I am sure when he gets to the point where Favre or Marino or Montana are in their careers now, I am sure the numbers will stack up very comparably.

Comment

Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
                    Yeah...you're right...hardly...give me a break...his weapons don't get NEARLY the love they deserve. That team could not FUNCTION without Faulk...without that offensive line...yes Branch was a stud...but he had good complimentary receivers as well...PLEASE tell me that Brown was a lackluster weapon...put down the pipe.

People make SO many excuses for Brady and the Patriots (2001 Super Bowl) makes me SO mad. Brady would be absolutely NOTHING without Adam Vinatieri. The Patriots FO is special...but Brady gets FAR too much credit...that is the best offensive line anywhere and has been...I know it's hopeless to argue with people about Tom 'loverboy' Brady but he's not GOAT or even top 10.
                    This has to be a joke. Last time I checked, this is a team sport. Adam Vinatieri would be nothing without Tom Brady or the Patriots defense. How about them apples? It took a team to put Tom Brady in the position he's in just like any other player. Tedy Bruschi can't do what he does if 10 other guys aren't doing their job. Dan Koppen can't do what he does without 10 other guys doing their job.

Brady gets the credit because he is absolutely incredible. That's all there is to it. He is one of the smartest QB's ever to play the game, he does everything right. He is in the position he is in because he put himself there.

He took a team to the AFC Championship game last year and the WR's he threw to combined for 51 receptions this year, 36 of them by Jabar Gaffney. Yet everyone wants to talk about how it's everyone else making him great.

Tom Brady has already proven, at this point in his career, that he is the best of his generation, and at worst, he's tied with Manning. Great, Vinitiari kicked a FG to win the game. But Tom Brady led them on one of the gutsiest, most clutch drives in NFL history to put him in that position. John Madden sat in the booth and questioned why they weren't just going for overtime and then stood speechless as he moved the team down the field. All with under a minute left. If Tom Brady doesn't put them there, that game is in overtime and who knows what would have happened. How quickly people forget...

Adam Vinitiari is a Hall Of Fame kicker because he played on a team that put him in a position to make big kicks. The argument works both ways.

Comment

Well Jay just pretty beat me to making you look like a complete ass hole.

I don't think we can really put up the question of if a player is the GOAT until after they retire. Sure Brady can go on and win 6 or 7 super bowls and when it's all over be considered the GOAT. He can also just as easily get hurt and never be able to preform at the level he is at right now.

The decisions Brady makes are just incredible, it is hard to imagine him getting much better then he is as of right now.

Brady > Manning

but this isn't nothing new I've been saying it all a long.

Thanks to Gang Green for the SIG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpbXXPOgR2w

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                        This has to be a joke. Last time I checked, this is a team sport. Adam Vinatieri would be nothing without Tom Brady or the Patriots defense. How about them apples? It took a team to put Tom Brady in the position he's in just like any other player. Tedy Bruschi can't do what he does if 10 other guys aren't doing their job. Dan Koppen can't do what he does without 10 other guys doing their job.

Brady gets the credit because he is absolutely incredible. That's all there is to it. He is one of the smartest QB's ever to play the game, he does everything right. He is in the position he is in because he put himself there.

He took a team to the AFC Championship game last year and the WR's he threw to combined for 51 receptions this year, 36 of them by Jabar Gaffney. Yet everyone wants to talk about how it's everyone else making him great.

Tom Brady has already proven, at this point in his career, that he is the best of his generation, and at worst, he's tied with Manning. Great, Vinitiari kicked a FG to win the game. But Tom Brady led them on one of the gutsiest, most clutch drives in NFL history to put him in that position. John Madden sat in the booth and questioned why they weren't just going for overtime and then stood speechless as he moved the team down the field. All with under a minute left. If Tom Brady doesn't put them there, that game is in overtime and who knows what would have happened. How quickly people forget...

Adam Vinitiari is a Hall Of Fame kicker because he played on a team that put him in a position to make big kicks. The argument works both ways.
                        I'm well aware that this is a team sport...but you're giving the QB all the credit...why shouldn't I give the credit to the guy who scored the most points on the team? So this year it'd be Gostkowski...again not Brady...sounds fair to me. But this IS a team thing...and Brady is on one of the greatest TEAMS of all time, it's not by his doing that he is getting all this praise. Sure he puts in the work that he needs to, but he's not going out and fitting the balls in tight spots or carrying a team on his back...I'm just YEARNING for another QB to be put on THAT team given the same coaching and stuff and you'd see that Brady isn't that special...it's the organization.

Comment

Originally posted by JMiah View Post
                          Top Ten Reasons Tom Brady in the greatest QB of all time…

10. He has won three Super Bowls (XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX), two Super Bowl MVP awards (XXXVI and XXXVIII)
                          9. Holds the NFL record for most touchdown passes in a single regular season (50)
                          8. Best Season a QB has ever had in 2007. Highest single-season quarterback rating: 117.2; Lowest interception total, season (minimum 2 starts): 8; Largest touchdown to interception difference: +42
                          7. Best Playoff QB of all time… Most completions in a Super Bowl (32 in Super Bowl XXXVIII) Highest completion percentage in a single game, minimum 20 attempts (26 of 28, 92.9%, against Jacksonville in 2007 AFC Divisional round)
                          6. 86-24 (regular season), 99-26 (career) as a starter. It is the best record of any NFL quarterback in the Super Bowl Era (since 1966) with at least 40 starts
                          5. Brady enters 2007 with a 12-2 (.857) playoff record, the second best in NFL history behind Bart Starr (9-1, .900)
                          4. Brady is the only quarterback in NFL history to start and win three Super Bowls before his 28th birthday, having quarterbacked the Patriots to victories in Super Bowl XXXVI when he was 24 years old, Super Bowl XXXVIII (26) and Super Bowl XXXIX (27).
                          3. NFL record for most consecutive wins in post season: 10 (broke record of Green Bay's Bart Starr) and most consecutive post season wins (college and professional combined): 12
                          2. Team went 16-0 for the first time ever.
                          1. All the reasons I listed will continue to grow, as he is only 30…

We can all debate for various reasons... we can say it is too early to talk about this with him having so much time left in his career... we can argue for others with similar records and titles... but no other player has had as much success not only with winning the big games, but with collecting all the records and leading a winning team.
                          And all that amounts to is still simply an opinion. Not really fact that he's the best quarterback to ever play in the NFL.
                          Last edited by Ness; 01-15-2008, 08:37 PM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                          -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                          Originally posted by Borat
                          Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
                            The **** people come up with....astounding.
                            Dude, his organization got caught cheating. Is it so impossible to believe that because he is associated with cheating, and no one knows how long it went on for, it might taint his candidacy for GOAT?

Montana: no cheating.
                            Bradshaw: Nope, never proven.
                            Aikman: No.
                            Favre: Not yet.
                            Elway: Yes. salary cap?
                            Marino: Never.

etc. etc. etc.

I would take all these guys over Tom. They got it done mostly before the PI rule change too, that's a huge factor.

Comment

Originally posted by iloxygenil View Post
                              I'm well aware that this is a team sport...but you're giving the QB all the credit...why shouldn't I give the credit to the guy who scored the most points on the team? So this year it'd be Gostkowski...again not Brady...sounds fair to me. But this IS a team thing...and Brady is on one of the greatest TEAMS of all time, it's not by his doing that he is getting all this praise. Sure he puts in the work that he needs to, but he's not going out and fitting the balls in tight spots or carrying a team on his back...I'm just YEARNING for another QB to be put on THAT team given the same coaching and stuff and you'd see that Brady isn't that special...it's the organization.
                              Drew Bledsoe was considered a great QB, yet Brady took them to the promiseland. With the same team. Why is that?

I'm yearning for someone else to take over the Colts to prove Peyton Manning is average. How about that? Steve Young took over the 49ers and led them to Super Bowls, so I guess by your thinking that makes Joe Montana average. There are so many ways we can spin your own argument to prove that it's just an dumb premise. Of course the QB gets the glory. That will ALWAYS be the case. And guess what, it's for a reason. Tom Brady put together the season he had be cause he is the best QB in the league playing with a great group of players.

Why wasn't the organization special before Brady? They weren't. Then he came along and everything change. I am sure that is a coincidence. It's a team sport. Absolutely. But why are you willing to give other individuals credit at the same position ahead of Brady when Brady has accomplished more and has better numbers? It makes absolutely no sense.

You are a man on an island. Credibility = gone.

Comment

Top Ten Reasons Tom Brady in the greatest QB of all time…
                                The counterargument

10. He has won three Super Bowls (XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX), two Super Bowl MVP awards (XXXVI and XXXVIII)
                                The Patriots won those games, not Brady, and any player can play one great game, for proof of that, see Dexter Jackson, Super Bowl XXXVII MVP

9. Holds the NFL record for most touchdown passes in a single regular season (50)
                                In 578 attempts, and playing at least 15 total games of time, including the last of the season, which he needed to break the record. Peyton Manning had far fewer attempts when throwing for 49 TD passes, and played for one series in the final game of the season. Had the Colts used the Patriots' tactics that season, Manning could've easily thrown a handful more TDs.

8. Best Season a QB has ever had in 2007.
                                Pure opinion, one that is diminished by the fact that Randy Moss had one of the two best seasons ever by a WR, and caught 46% of Brady's TD passes.

Highest single-season quarterback rating: 117.2
                                False, Peyton Manning had a 121.1 QB rating in 2004.

Lowest interception total, season (minimum 2 starts): 8;
                                Again false, even for this season. David Garrard only threw 3.

Largest touchdown to interception difference: +42
                                Which is easy to do when you have a WR that gets away with pushing off on at least 5 plays per game and catches almost 1 1/2 TDs per game.

7. Best Playoff QB of all time…
                                Again, pure opinion. I'm sure many here would take Joe Montana over Brady for postseason play.

Most completions in a Super Bowl (32 in Super Bowl XXXVIII) Highest completion percentage in a single game, minimum 20 attempts (26 of 28, 92.9%, against Jacksonville in 2007 AFC Divisional round)
                                Throwing a lot of screens and slants makes a QB great? Okay, that makes sense.

6. 86-24 (regular season), 99-26 (career) as a starter. It is the best record of any NFL quarterback in the Super Bowl Era (since 1966) with at least 40 starts
                                This is another team accomplishment.

5. Brady enters 2007 with a 12-2 (.857) playoff record, the second best in NFL history behind Bart Starr (9-1, .900)
                                Yet another team accomplishment. Do you think defense, special teams, and the other players on offense play absolutely no role in the success of a team?

4. Brady is the only quarterback in NFL history to start and win three Super Bowls before his 28th birthday, having quarterbacked the Patriots to victories in Super Bowl XXXVI when he was 24 years old, Super Bowl XXXVIII (26) and Super Bowl XXXIX (27).
                                So because his defenses were great at a young age in his career, he's the best ever? That's quite a reach.

3. NFL record for most consecutive wins in post season: 10 (broke record of Green Bay's Bart Starr) and most consecutive post season wins (college and professional combined): 12
                                You list these team accomplishments as though they're all the result of Tom Brady's play, like the other 52 players surrounding him were irrelevant. Why?

2. Team went 16-0 for the first time ever.
                                Again, are the other 52 players on their team irrelevant? Could Tom Brady do this with 52 players from Appalachian State around him? It's not like he has one of the greatest WRs ever to throw to this season, one that has been a large part of the two top scoring offenses of all-time...oh, wait...

1. All the reasons I listed will continue to grow, as he is only 30…
                                Things that are in the record books and can't be changed will grow? That will be interesting to witness.

We can all debate for various reasons... we can say it is too early to talk about this with him having so much time left in his career... we can argue for others with similar records and titles... but no other player has had as much success not only with winning the big games, but with collecting all the records and leading a winning team.
                                So your argument is that because he's had great defenses and because his team played him in situations where it was clear that he should have been on the bench just so he could break the TD pass record by 1, he's the greatest of all-time? Seems to be an argument lacking in substance to me.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                                <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information