Monk (80-95) 3 Super Bowl Rings
    224gms 940rec 12721yds (13.5ypc) 68tds

Andre Reed (85-00) ZERO Super Bowl Rings
    234gms 951rec 13198yds (13.9ypc) 87tds

Chris Carter (87-02) ZERO Super Bowl Rings
    234gms 1101rec 13899yds (12.6ypc) 80 tds

Tim Brown (88-04 Eligible in 2010) ZERO Super Bowl Rings
    255gms 1094rec 14934yrds (13.7ypc) 80 tds

In the 80s Monk was without a doubt the best all around WR in the era. He was a big play threat, then a possession receiver, and one of the best blockers youll see at the position. Reed, Carter, and Brown all had incredible careers through the 90s in a much more pass oriented system while Monk played in a run first style offense under Gibbs therefore accounting for his lower TD total

Jerry Rice:

“There’s no doubt [Monk] was one of the best receivers to ever play the game and it’s an honor to break his record,” Rice said. “Art Monk, he was an ideal receiver. The thing I liked about him was that he would show up for every game and go out there and play.”

Bill Polian, President Indianapolis Colts

"I believe he's a Hall of Famer. I was a pro scout when he was playing, so it was my job to know who those guys were. I would put Art in that category, but apparently there are a lot of Hall of Fame voters who don't feel Art Monk was in that category. It's hard for me to believe they ever saw him play."

Bill Parcells (in 1995),

"Monk is headed to Canton downhill on roller skates"

Ronnie Lott, HOF inductee

"Art Monk was an example for Jerry Rice. That's what Jerry always told me.

There's nothing negative to say. He has the numbers, the catches, the championships.

You have a Hall of Fame for all it represents. I know he represents all that it's about. Integrity, love and passion for the game, community, what he gave back. Look how he conducted himself. Nobody I know deserves it more."

If he doesn’t get in it doesn’t make sense.”

Michael Irvin:

Q: Who is not in the Hall of Fame now who should be?

A: Art Monk comes to mind right away.

Jim Kelly:

"Art Monk … I still can’t believe he’s not in.”
    Cris Carter has 130 career TDs.

Comment

Originally posted by sodar21 View Post
      Cris Carter has 130 career TDs.
      yea my fault. i was reading off a site and his long is 80 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Cashmoneydrew
        Originally posted by kiranadwaney
        how many end up getting picked each year?
        I do believe it tis 5.
        Actually...

At the 2008 election meeting, the selectors will thoroughly discuss the careers of each finalist before narrowing the field to seven candidates. At least four candidates must be elected but the total class cannot number more than seven.
        - http://www.profootballhof.com/enshri...?story_id=2640

My guess as to who makes it would be

Cris Carter – Wide Receiver – 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins

Darrell Green – Cornerback – 1983-2002 Washington Redskins

Randall McDaniel – Guard – 1988-1999 Minnesota Vikings, 2000-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Paul Tagliabue – Commissioner – 1989-2006 National Football League

Derrick Thomas – Linebacker – 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs

Comment

Ive shaken Art Monk's hand, MONK FOR HOF!!!!

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Bob Kuechenberg – Guard – 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins

This man should of been in a long long time ago. He was one of the most dominating Olineman of that time period, he was a pro bowler at every spot on the line (when being a pro bowler mattered). He was the anchor on the dolphins oline Every single time they went to the Super Bowl.

This man deserves to be in finally.

Comment

Lets go reed!!!!

Sig By Diehardvikingfan

Comment

While the minimum number of inductees is 4 and the maximum number is 7, people have to remember that the the maximum number of MODERN DAY candidates that can be inducted is in fact 5.

The two senior candidates are voted on first. (E.Thomas and Goldberg). A straight yes or no with 80% needed to be elected. The modern day candidates are reduced from 15 to 10 by vote then from 10 to 5 with another vote. Those 5 finalists then face a straight yes or no with 80% needed for election. If there are only 3 candidates with 80% then the person with the next highest percentage is elected to make up the min of 4.

For the seniors I would elect E.Thomas.

That leaves 5 spots for the modern day candidates out of the 15 announced. Carter and Green are locks imo. I think this is the year Monk gets elected as he seems to be gathering support from some voters. One of the OL will get elected (Bob Kooch, McDaniel, Grimm and Zimmerman). I think Kooch has waited long enough and is 'next in line' as his name drops off the list very soon. That leaves one place for another defensive player. Richard Dent or Derrick Thomas. I'll go with Dent just slightly but I'd love to see DT make it too.

The thing is with the pro football HOF we don't know how close the likes of Monk are to getting elected or whether his vote percentage is going up or down. At least the baseball HOF publishes the voting records. There are 44 voters with 36 yes votes needed.

Bios:
                http://www.profootballhof.com/enshri...?story_id=2640

Note: Gradishar drops off the modern era list if he is not elected this year. Bob Kooch has until the Class of 2009 before he will have to rely on the vets committee.

Next year's class is already looking very strong with Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson and Shannon Sharpe 1st time candidates. In 2010 Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith march into Canton with Tim Brown a very strong candidate. 2011 has Deion Sanders, Willie Roaf, Bettis, Faulk and Curtis Martin. Just shows how tough it is. Once those 1st ballot locks are elected there are very few spots left.
                Last edited by boknows34; 01-19-2008, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Voting is coming up this weekend.

Lets go MONK :)

Comment

Ray Guy best name in NFL history.

Comment

Originally posted by boknows34 View Post
                      While the minimum number of inductees is 4 and the maximum number is 7, people have to remember that the the maximum number of MODERN DAY candidates that can be inducted is in fact 5.

The two senior candidates are voted on first. (E.Thomas and Goldberg). A straight yes or no with 80% needed to be elected. The modern day candidates are reduced from 15 to 10 by vote then from 10 to 5 with another vote. Those 5 finalists then face a straight yes or no with 80% needed for election. If there are only 3 candidates with 80% then the person with the next highest percentage is elected to make up the min of 4.

For the seniors I would elect E.Thomas.

That leaves 5 spots for the modern day candidates out of the 15 announced. Carter and Green are locks imo. I think this is the year Monk gets elected as he seems to be gathering support from some voters. One of the OL will get elected (Bob Kooch, McDaniel, Grimm and Zimmerman). I think Kooch has waited long enough and is 'next in line' as his name drops off the list very soon. That leaves one place for another defensive player. Richard Dent or Derrick Thomas. I'll go with Dent just slightly but I'd love to see DT make it too.

The thing is with the pro football HOF we don't know how close the likes of Monk are to getting elected or whether his vote percentage is going up or down. At least the baseball HOF publishes the voting records. There are 44 voters with 36 yes votes needed.

Bios:
                      http://www.profootballhof.com/enshri...?story_id=2640

Note: Gradishar drops off the modern era list if he is not elected this year. Bob Kooch has until the Class of 2009 before he will have to rely on the vets committee.

Next year's class is already looking very strong with Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson and Shannon Sharpe 1st time candidates. In 2010 Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith march into Canton with Tim Brown a very strong candidate. 2011 has Deion Sanders, Willie Roaf, Bettis, Faulk and Curtis Martin. Just shows how tough it is. Once those 1st ballot locks are elected there are very few spots left.
                      I really don't see how Dent should make it over Derrick Thomas. Derrick Thomas had 8 pro bowls compared to Dent's 4 pro bowls. Derrick Thomas had 8 all-pro seasons compared to Dent's 5. Thomas had only 11 less sacks than Dent despite playing 4 fewer seasons and playing linebacker where sacks are harder to come by. Thomas also has the record for sacks in a game with 7.

Personally I think both should get in and the offensive linemen can wait. There is something like a 2:1 ratio of offensive players to defensive players on the HOF. Forget the offensive lineman. Let some more defenders in.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
                        I really don't see how Dent should make it over Derrick Thomas. Derrick Thomas had 8 pro bowls compared to Dent's 4 pro bowls. Derrick Thomas had 8 all-pro seasons compared to Dent's 5. Thomas had only 11 less sacks than Dent despite playing 4 fewer seasons and playing linebacker where sacks are harder to come by. Thomas also has the record for sacks in a game with 7.

Personally I think both should get in and the offensive linemen can wait. There is something like a 2:1 ratio of offensive players to defensive players on the HOF. Forget the offensive lineman. Let some more defenders in.
                        Honestly I could make a case that NEITHER player should make the HOF, but here ya go.

-Dent was a Superbowl MVP. Derrick Thomas' most famous game was in the regular season, which has since been eclipsed by a guy named Osi Umenyora. So no, he doesn't have the record anymore.

-Dent was an all-around great player. Thomas was a one-trick pony. He was a blitzing linebacker. That's it. Also, if you look at each player's overall responsibilities, Thomas had a much easier time racking up sacks, as evidenced by the fact that he was even allowed to get 7 in a game.

-Dent was part of arguably the greatest defense ever, which currently only has two HOF'ers. Thomas not so much.

- Dent has been eligible for about 6 years longer than Thomas, that has an effect. It's not always about who is most deserving, it's about who has waited the longest.

But as I've said, I could make a case for either not getting in at all. Thomas will eventually get in, I have no doubt about that, and that's fine. Personally I think he's a product of people that love stats and don't watch the more nuanced aspects of the game, but sacks are no doubt very important.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                          Honestly I could make a case that NEITHER player should make the HOF, but here ya go.

-Dent was a Superbowl MVP. Derrick Thomas' most famous game was in the regular season, which has since been eclipsed by a guy named Osi Umenyora. So no, he doesn't have the record anymore.
                          Actually Osi didn't eclipse Thomas. Thomas had 7 in a game, Osi had 6 against the Eagles.

Comment

DARREL GREEN, probably the greatest skin ever

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
                            12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao

Comment

Originally posted by 703SKINS202 View Post
                              DARREL GREEN, probably the greatest skin ever
                              4.15 40. Insane. Plus he was just an outstanding player.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                                4.15 40. Insane. Plus he was just an outstanding player.
                                He ran an official 4.22 at the combine and a unofficial 4.09 in TC.....top 3 all time
                                RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information