• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiG
    started a topic 17 Finalists for Hall of Fame

17 Finalists for Hall of Fame

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshri...?story_id=2640

Cris Carter Wide Receiver 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins
    Fred Dean Defensive End 1975-1981 San Diego Chargers, 1981-85 San Francisco 49ers
    Richard Dent Defensive End 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles
    Marshall Goldberg Back 1939-1943, 1946-48 Chicago Cardinals
    Randy Gradishar Linebacker 1974-1983 Denver Broncos
    Darrell Green Cornerback 1983-2002 Washington Redskins
    Russ Grimm Guard 1981-1991 Washington Redskins
    Ray Guy Punter 1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
    Bob Kuechenberg Guard 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins
    Randall McDaniel Guard 1988-1999 Minnesota Vikings, 2000-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Art Monk Wide Receiver 1980-1993 Washington Redskins, 1994 New York Jets, 1995 Philadelphia Eagles
    Andre Reed Wide Receiver 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
    Paul Tagliabue Commissioner 1989-2006 National Football League
    Derrick Thomas Linebacker 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs
    Emmitt Thomas Cornerback 1966-1978 Kansas City Chiefs
    Andre Tippett Linebacker 1982-1993 New England Patriots
    Gary Zimmerman Tackle 1986-1992 Minnesota Vikings, 1993-97 Denver Broncos

• Jughead10
    replied
    Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
    Usually making the top 10 means that you'll get in eventually, as it only takes a few voters to sway. Though Dent has made it three times now, and I believe Thomas has twice. Things will likely get harder in the next few years with a slew of prominent names coming up.
    He will get in eventually. Just look, Harry Carson had to wait all those years and eventually got there while being superior to guys like Tippett and Dean.

Leave a comment:

• bearsfan_51
    replied
    I had previously stated that Cris Carter was not among the final 10. This was in fact based on faulting info apparently. Here ya go, it also explains why Richard Dent was hosed over Dean and Tippett.;)

Dent made the cut from the final 15 to 10 along with former Vikings receiver Cris Carter, former Dolphins guard Bob Kuechenberg, former Vikings guard Randall McDaniel and former Chiefs linebacker Derrick Thomas. But those five players were eliminated in the next round of voting.

"No disrespect to Fred Dean or Andre Tippett, but I'm disappointed in the fact that if you compared those guys to me, I think you would take me ahead of them," said Dent, who was a finalist for the fourth time. "I'm disappointed in the process. It doesn't make sense."

Dent, however, makes plenty of sense. As one of the 40 voters and the one responsible for opening the discussion on Dent, I thought he compared favorably with Tippett and Dean by almost any measure.

Dent had 137½ career sacks compared to 100 for Tippett, the former Patriots linebacker. Dean, the former Chargers and 49ers defensive end, played most of his career before sacks became an official statistic, but football researcher John Turney estimates Dean had 93 career sacks.

Dent had eight seasons in which he had 10 sacks. Dean had an estimated five. Tippett had three.

Dent had 21 career takeaways. Tippett had 18. Dean had 14.

Dent had 37 career forced fumbles. Tippett had 14. Dean had eight, though figures for forced fumbles are unavailable for the first four years of his career.

Dent had 58 passes defended. Tippett had 17. Dean had 13, not including the first four years of his career.

Dent also was an outstanding run defender. Tippett was a fine run defender as well, but Dean was a 230-pound situational player for most of his career.

Usually making the top 10 means that you'll get in eventually, as it only takes a few voters to sway. Though Dent has made it three times now, and I believe Thomas has twice. Things will likely get harder in the next few years with a slew of prominent names coming up.

Leave a comment:

• kmartin575
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
    Please don't ever associate yourself with any of my thoughts.
    And why is that?

Leave a comment:

• BigDawg819
    replied
    Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
    That was my thought. Not about him not deserving it, but about it being tough with the CBA that he helped negotiate already being opted out of (possibly).
    Please don't ever associate yourself with any of my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• kmartin575
    replied
    Actually he's going to have a tougher time next year if the owner's opt out of the CBA. Tags, IMO, doesn't deserve to be in the Hall. Now alot of that revolves around the fact that he colluded with Jack Kent Cooke to keep the city of Baltimore from getting a team and the fact that the Baltimore Colts records have never been rightfully returned home but I digress. While Tags was Commish during the biggest expansion of the league in terms of economics, how much was really the result of him and not just the natural evolution of the game itself? Tags was never tough with discipline, looked out for the big market teams, and was a tool. Frankly I hope that piece of garbage never gets in.
    That was my thought. Not about him not deserving it, but about it being tough with the CBA that he helped negotiate already being opted out of (possibly).

Leave a comment:

• BigDawg819
    replied
    Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
    Tags should be a lock for next year
    Actually he's going to have a tougher time next year if the owner's opt out of the CBA. Tags, IMO, doesn't deserve to be in the Hall. Now alot of that revolves around the fact that he colluded with Jack Kent Cooke to keep the city of Baltimore from getting a team and the fact that the Baltimore Colts records have never been rightfully returned home but I digress. While Tags was Commish during the biggest expansion of the league in terms of economics, how much was really the result of him and not just the natural evolution of the game itself? Tags was never tough with discipline, looked out for the big market teams, and was a tool. Frankly I hope that piece of garbage never gets in.

Leave a comment:

• T-RICH49
    replied
    Dave Kreig's worst nightmare?
    HAHAHA great anwser

Leave a comment:

• T-RICH49
    replied
    Tags should be a lock for next year

Leave a comment:

• 21ST
    replied
    Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
    Yeah just like Cris Carter won't be bumped by anybody.
    Who bumped him

Leave a comment:

• Santonio10
    replied
    carter, and thomas will make it next year. Congrats to Art Monk though. It's about time they got him into the hall

Leave a comment:

• BigDawg819
    replied
    Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
    And exactly what was Derrick Thomas?
    Dave Kreig's worst nightmare?

Leave a comment:

• Giantsfan1080
    replied
    Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
    Super one dimensional?

Leave a comment:

• Jughead10
    replied
    Fred Dean was one-dimensional

Leave a comment:

• kmartin575
    replied
    Originally posted by B-Dawk View Post
    bruce smith is not going to be bumped by anybody
    Yeah just like Cris Carter won't be bumped by anybody.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information