NFL returns to the United Kingdom in '08

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
    The Packers and the Pats definitely do not have a free pass. If anything it might be more probable to see one of them go because of popularity.
    They have a chance to play in the Super Bowl. They would not announce that you have to go over seas next season while the team is trying to prepare for the biggest game of the year.

And if they every try to take a home game from Green Bay some crazy **** will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by 619 View Post
      The NFL really wants this game to be another success to continue building on so putting a relatively unknown team over there wouldnt be the best idea.
      If it is Jaguars/Patriots with it counting as a Jaguars home game, it would be fine.

There is no way they are going to put two teams with massive waiting lists for season tickets against each other like that, because both would complain about losing home games. I just can't see it happening.

I am only using Jacksonville as an example because they cover about 10,000 seats a game, and then still have issues selling out. It would actually be a good thing for them, because it would be easier to shell out $$$ for seven games in one year then it would be eight.

Comment

Fantastic news which is totally out of the blue.

Germany / Canada had been the initial favourites, but the decision to repeat in the UK suggests that the UK is the first choice for Overseas games which is excellent.

I just hope the ticketing is a bit better this time.

As for early candidates... I believe it will be two teams from the East of America and the team that gives up the home game will be one that does not have a huge waiting list for tickets.

For anyone who thinks this is a bad move, please explain why. Out of 256 regular games a season, surely you can give up one. I wouldn't care if it was Miami v St Louis or New England v Indianapolis. Just getting a game over here is amazing.

Yes, there are genuine concerns over the field, but they have been there since Wembley opened... (After any game the pitch cuts up horribly.) Hopefully that can be fixed, but I would rather see a game in mud than not at all. It also tests teams in a different way.

People over here are getting more and more into the NFL and for the fans who have supported the NFL since the early 80s and then even when coverage began in the Mid 90s with one game a week, this is something that could never have been expected. We now get 4 games a week at least (More when Thu/Sat games are on) and we get a choice of Sunday games. (Two per time slot.)
        Will post for +rep.

Comment

Originally posted by UK Cards Fan View Post

Germany / Canada had been the initial favourites, but the decision to repeat in the UK suggests that the UK is the first choice for Overseas games which is excellent.

As for early candidates... I believe it will be two teams from the East of America and the team that gives up the home game will be one that does not have a huge waiting list for tickets.

For anyone who thinks this is a bad move, please explain why. Out of 256 regular games a season, surely you can give up one. I wouldn't care if it was Miami v St Louis or New England v Indianapolis. Just getting a game over here is amazing.

Yes, there are genuine concerns over the field, but they have been there since Wembley opened... (After any game the pitch cuts up horribly.) Hopefully that can be fixed, but I would rather see a game in mud than not at all. It also tests teams in a different way.

People over here are getting more and more into the NFL and for the fans who have supported the NFL since the early 80s and then even when coverage began in the Mid 90s with one game a week, this is something that could never have been expected. We now get 4 games a week at least (More when Thu/Sat games are on) and we get a choice of Sunday games. (Two per time slot.)
          Did you get to the last game? I managed to but getting tickets was a nightmare.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

and we get a choice of Sunday games. (Two per time slot.)
            Why can't we have that in Norway? :(

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

Meh, I'm all for expanding the game overseas, but the idea of giving up home games it just terrible for any team.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
              they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
              Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by UKfan View Post
                Did you get to the last game? I managed to but getting tickets was a nightmare.
                Despite being a member of NFLUK for years (Surely they should have got preference.) and registering 6 times, no. :(

And when they finally released the last few tickets for everyone through the hospitality section, it was too short notice to find anyone else who was willing to pay all the money and get time off work! :(

I am hoping however that since the eBay ban, the requests will be less this time and that I should get lucky!
                Will post for +rep.

Comment

Cowboys vs Patriots or Colts/Patriots I think will play, so the big name teams get over there.

Comment

btw Toronto is expected to still get a few Bills games over the next few seasons. Its nice to see how far the game has come along overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                      Meh, I'm all for expanding the game overseas, but the idea of giving up home games it just terrible for any team.
                      I can understand that, I really can, you guys only get 8 games a year guaranteed, but in reality, you will be giving up one home game every thirty two years (Until further expansion or this becomes mandatory, at which point surely a compromise will be made.)

That means one game out of every two hundred and fifty six.

Is that really an unreasonable request for overseas fans who otherwise would not get to see a game live. (I know we can travel to the USA but not everyone has that sort of money.)
                      Will post for +rep.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                        If it is Jaguars/Patriots with it counting as a Jaguars home game, it would be fine.

There is no way they are going to put two teams with massive waiting lists for season tickets against each other like that, because both would complain about losing home games. I just can't see it happening.

I am only using Jacksonville as an example because they cover about 10,000 seats a game, and then still have issues selling out. It would actually be a good thing for them, because it would be easier to shell out $$$ for seven games in one year then it would be eight.
                        Actually, that wouldn't be good for the Jaguars, because that's less revenue that the Jaguars desperately need. Also, they would want to send over an unpopular team like the Jaguars.

And BTW, the Jaguars don't play the Patriots next year.

by BoneKrusher
                        <DG> how metal unseen
                        <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Pick two evenly matched teams this year, NFL.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Despite being a member of NFLUK for years (Surely they should have got preference.) and registering 6 times, no. :(

And when they finally released the last few tickets for everyone through the hospitality section, it was too short notice to find anyone else who was willing to pay all the money and get time off work! :(

I am hoping however that since the eBay ban, the requests will be less this time and that I should get lucky!
                            Hmmmm, might do, but it might just end up with more ticket touts on the streets, unfortunately there were a few about.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986

Comment

Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
                              Actually, that wouldn't be good for the Jaguars, because that's less revenue that the Jaguars desperately need. Also, they would want to send over an unpopular team like the Jaguars.

And BTW, the Jaguars don't play the Patriots next year.
                              In my theory, they don't cover 10,000 seats a game and sell out seven games because of the lack of an eight home game. It may be far fetched, but they end up making more revenue because they make money at the gate in the UK. And they'd maybe/probably make more then if it was in Jacksonville.

And I know they don't play the Pats next year, I was just using it as an example with the two teams mentioned...

I also don't think it will be the Pats any way you slice it because I believe they are making up their China Bowl game in the 2009 preseason and there is a 0% chance the NFL sends the same team overseas twice in the same year.

Comment

rumour going round that it's highly probable the vikings are one of the teams

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information