New Respect for Rivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jay View Post
    No, no, no. I don't think you guys read that right. He didn't play with a torn ACL. He played with NO ACL AT ALL! He had surgery before the game to have the whole thing removed. That is some Curt Schilling **** right there.

Phillip Rivers has now earned the right to talk as much trash as he wants. He put his entire career on the line all for the sake of simply getting the chance to go to the Super Bowl. Unreal.
    After getting that clarified I have to agree, that takes some major guts to do. But I still would prefer it if he cut back on the trash talk, it gets old after while.

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
      Rivers plays much better when the adrenaline is flowing through him and he's talking trash, so I'll be upset if he ever tones it down.
      I hear you on that one. That is when he is at his best
      my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
      <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
      <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
      <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
      Originally posted by Hermstheman83
      What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Rivers makes Rambo look like a _________. (you fill in the blank)

Comment

No, no, no. I don't think you guys read that right. He didn't play with a torn ACL. He played with NO ACL AT ALL! He had surgery before the game to have the whole thing removed. That is some Curt Schilling **** right there.

Phillip Rivers has now earned the right to talk as much trash as he wants. He put his entire career on the line all for the sake of simply getting the chance to go to the Super Bowl. Unreal.
          Moron. This was 1000x's gutsier that Schillings performance. Schilling in the twilight of his career doing routine surgery which can occur in an outpatient center. People dont realize that the way weight is put on an ankle every pitch wouldn't really effect his ankle. A lil blood haha. Rivers played FOOTBALL after a procedure that a slight gust of wind could cause the end of his career.

Boston Fans.
          my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
          <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
          <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
          <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
          Originally posted by Hermstheman83
          What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

yes i would not say curt play was as gutsy as phillips but rivers has earned the right to talk as much trash as his heart desires. I just hope he thinks about the kids looking up to him before he does it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
              yes i would not say curt play was as gutsy as phillips but rivers has earned the right to talk as much trash as his heart desires. I just hope he thinks about the kids looking up to him before he does it.
              Well, he grew up admiring Favre for his trash talking and mannerism on the field, so I don't think he sees the harm when all he views it as having fun. I think the only people that really don't like it are the opposing players. And even then, it's wishy washy. I know Bailey and Sharper don't like it. But guys like Jared Allen love it. Probably because they do a lot of trash talking themselves.

Like I said before, as long as it doesn't pass the line, I can live with it for now.

Comment

At first, I think Rivers performed a truly courageous act. Then, when I began to think about it, I think what he did was incredibly stupid and selfish.

I am not a fan of Rivers, but I will admit the guy has balls, and performing with no ACL is indeed a courageous act. The guy must have been in incredible pain. However, at some point, the coaches should have said alright, enough is enough, Rivers' performance (which was beyond incredible given the circumstances) was likely worse than that which Billy Volek could have given them (although we will never know), and whilst I think what he did was truly courageous and showed such a high pain threshold, I think the more courageous and selfless thing to have done would have been to sit and acknowledge that he could not help the team as much as a healthy Billy Volek could have, although I am not sure that was Rivers' fault as much as Norv Turner should have stepped in.

That is why I respect L. T. so much for what he did. Sure, just sitting on the sideline may not have looked the best, but the guy realised that, in his shape, any performance would have been likely less than that which Michael Turner / Darren Sproles could have given and, therefore, when it really mattered in the biggest game of his life, L. T. performed a highly unselfish and courageous act by sitting out.

Playing in pain is courageous. However, playing in pain which reduces your effectiveness to a level lower than that which your backup can provide is selfish.
                Will post for +rep.

Comment

Originally posted by UK Cards Fan View Post
                  At first, I think Rivers performed a truly courageous act. Then, when I began to think about it, I think what he did was incredibly stupid and selfish.

I am not a fan of Rivers, but I will admit the guy has balls, and performing with no ACL is indeed a courageous act. The guy must have been in incredible pain. However, at some point, the coaches should have said alright, enough is enough, Rivers' performance (which was beyond incredible given the circumstances) was likely worse than that which Billy Volek could have given them (although we will never know), and whilst I think what he did was truly courageous and showed such a high pain threshold, I think the more courageous and selfless thing to have done would have been to sit and acknowledge that he could not help the team as much as a healthy Billy Volek could have, although I am not sure that was Rivers' fault as much as Norv Turner should have stepped in.

That is why I respect L. T. so much for what he did. Sure, just sitting on the sideline may not have looked the best, but the guy realised that, in his shape, any performance would have been likely less than that which Michael Turner / Darren Sproles could have given and, therefore, when it really mattered in the biggest game of his life, L. T. performed a highly unselfish and courageous act by sitting out.

Playing in pain is courageous. However, playing in pain which reduces your effectiveness to a level lower than that which your backup can provide is selfish.
                  Get out of here with your crap.

It should be the coaches call if you are to injured to be helping the team. If the coaches would have thought Billy V was the man, they would have stuck him in the game. It isn't Rivers' responsibility to evaluate who should be in the game.

Furthermore, you don't think that Rivers' fired up his teammates last Sunday. If I'm an OL or a WR, I want Rivers' as my QB and I'm going to put everything on the line because I know he will too.

And as for future injury - It isn't Rivers' responsibility to decide this. NFL teams have entire medical staffs with more than enough authority to stop a player from doing serious harm to his body.

Rivers basically just showed that regardless of how much pain he was feeling, he was going to play. I won't suggest that LT was the opposite but other people are.

Comment

Originally posted by marks01234 View Post
                    Get out of here with your crap.

It should be the coaches call if you are to injured to be helping the team. If the coaches would have thought Billy V was the man, they would have stuck him in the game. It isn't Rivers' responsibility to evaluate who should be in the game.

Furthermore, you don't think that Rivers' fired up his teammates last Sunday. If I'm an OL or a WR, I want Rivers' as my QB and I'm going to put everything on the line because I know he will too.

And as for future injury - It isn't Rivers' responsibility to decide this. NFL teams have entire medical staffs with more than enough authority to stop a player from doing serious harm to his body.

Rivers basically just showed that regardless of how much pain he was feeling, he was going to play. I won't suggest that LT was the opposite but other people are.
                    owned. seriously, dissing Rivers for playing is ridiculous. Volek had thrown ten passes all year, any argument that he would have played better is nuts.

Rivers drove down the field constantly, and they couldn't punch it in without the team's two best red zone weapons (LT, Gates). Even the first interception he threw was a direct result of a bizarrely uncalled leg whip. Philip's performance was great even without his own injury being accounted for.

Comment

Its Norv's call to throw in Volek, you cant ask a competitor to take himself out, Norv could of pulled the plug on rivers at any time, he knew his knee was scoped before the game, he saw Volek practice, obviously he felt better with Rivers as is then Volek

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Volek is not close to as good as phillip rivers is even with a blown knee...Volek is a great backup but you cant expect him to do what he did the week before again... bit lucky i feel

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information