Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giants Better Off Without Tiki & Shockey?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants Better Off Without Tiki & Shockey?

After watching the Giants a few times this year, mostly in the playoffs, it seems that they have more team chemistry and more confidence without those two players on the field (I know Tiki retired). The dissension between Tiki Barber and Tom Coughlin is well documented and there have been stories about Jeremy Shockey not thinking too highly of Eli Manning.

After the season they have had I think it is safe to say Eli Manning is turning into the quarterback his draft stock indicated. He has done it without one of his most reliable receiving threats in Shockey.

What do you fellas think? Are the Giants a better team without Tiki Barber and Jeremy Shockey?

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
    WHO DAT!

I was thinking the same with Shockey.
    I need to get friends signed up on Lockerz.com to get more points. Costs you nothing. PM me email addy for invite.

Comment

I think the difference has been having Steve Smith healthy in the slot. Slot reciever has become more important in today's NFL than tight end. When you've got a great route runner in the slot like both Super Bowl teams have, the QB becomes way more efficient. Teams would rather not play 5 DB's constantly, but they're forced to when you have an effective slot reciever. Fullback and every down tight end, those are becoming dinosaur positions in today's NFL. It's all about shotgun, single back, three wide recievers and situational tight ends.
      Last edited by San Diego Chicken; 01-21-2008, 02:41 AM.
      aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Well, as a Giants fan, I'm not sure. Tiki brought a lot to the table, but Jacobs runs hard, and Bradshaw is kind of what Tiki was. A guy who could pass block, catch, and make those infamous cutback runs we all know and love.

Now, I think in some cases, we are better without Tiki. The last thing you need is someone on your team calling out the coach after a tough loss. So from that element, I would say yes, we're better off. Not to mention Tiki seemed more interested in his media debut than the team at times.

As for Shockey..well. I'll admit I've never liked Shockey a ton. He brings energy to the team, but sometimes that is negative energy when things aren't going right. Plus he likes to do his own thing on the field, and I think that hurt Eli.

Boss isn't half the blocker Shockey is though - so that kind of sucks. Regardless, I think in some ways we're better off, while in others it's nice to have the extra skill set that they bring to the table.

I'll tell you, Tiki Barber must be crapping himself he didn't return though, heh.
        (shameless self-promotion)
        Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
        https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

tiki maybe

shockey, no.

SDchicken is right, smith has made a big difference. shockey would onl y make this team better

Comment

Originally posted by skiinginNJ View Post
            tiki maybe

shockey, no.

SDchicken is right, smith has made a big difference. shockey would onl y make this team better
            Maybe because the option routes are gone he might.

However, if they were still in I would say no. Shockey likes to do his own thing, and doesn't read option routes very effectively.
            (shameless self-promotion)
            Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
            https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Originally posted by Forenci View Post
              Maybe because the option routes are gone he might.

However, if they were still in I would say no. Shockey likes to do his own thing, and doesn't read option routes very effectively.

we really havent seen shockey without the option routes in a while though. before our current O got put in place shockey was much more productive. less option routes and less vertical routes and shockey will be more productive. the only thing he is used as in our current O is a checkdown guy.

the one time we actually used his pass catching abilities was his one big game, though that was against roy williams.

also, he is a great blocker. we miss him in that regard
              Last edited by skiinginNJ; 01-21-2008, 02:55 AM.

Comment

I'm still not even sold that Eli has come close to "justifying his draft stock", as you said.

Eli has had a pretty good 2nd half to the season, but that's not enough to totally overlook what has been an otherwise pretty lousy career.

I think the defense is the story of the Giants in the playoffs, especially Sunday.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                  I'm still not even sold that Eli has come close to "justifying his draft stock", as you said.

Eli has had a pretty good 2nd half to the season, but that's not enough to totally overlook what has been an otherwise pretty lousy career.

I think the defense is the story of the Giants in the playoffs, especially Sunday.
                  he has been up and down this year more so that in the past.

normally its the good 1st half and a bad 2nd half. then again this was only his 3rd full year as a starter, not much sample size to operate on
                  Last edited by skiinginNJ; 01-21-2008, 03:04 AM.

Comment

I think he's a game manager. A pretty good one, but he's not being asked to go out and really attack the secondary anymore. Big difference from years past in my eyes and even games earlier in the season.
                    aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Sometimes it takes players a while to develop. Especially at quarterback. Eli has played lights out in three straight road games in the postseason. Four touchdowns and no turnovers. That's pretty darn impressive. The defense has been good in the playoffs, but so has the Giants offense. It's been quite balanced. And his career hasn't been that bad. He just helped get his ball club to the Super Bowl, the hard way. I'd say he's justified his stock. He got there before his brother did, that's for sure, and if he can beat the Patriots in two weeks, then his legacy is sealed.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                      Originally posted by Borat
                      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

I think the word you're looking for is "despite" - regarding Shockey anyway. The Giants have chemistry and confidence despite his absence, I don't think it's because of his absence and I can't see how they're a better team without him. As I always said with Pacman who apparently "split the locker room in two in 05" - if one player can do that to a team, then the team probably isn't going anywhere anyway. If Shockey's presence could make the Giants worse then I doubt they'd get this far - their veterans are stronger than that.

Tiki, well he was a good player but like a lot of good teams, if you build a passing game that works with a Superbowl worthy OL, losing a running back is rarely a big deal. Jacobs and Bradshaw seem to have a good thing going, and combined are probably more effective.

As for Eli, before these past couple of weeks he has been disappointing but lately, I think he is more than just a "game manager" - just because you're not putting up 350y and 3 td's every week doesn't mean you're not taking over a game necessarily. One thing that still annoys me though is his demeanor after an incomplete/int/sack etc - looks like a frustrated 12 year old :P

Comment

Shockey's run blocking and physicality is sorely missed. Boss is a nice player, but he's not even close when it comes to Shockey with blocking. His passion and energy are missed as well.

Tiki was a cancer in the locker room, and he and Petigout aren't missed one bit here in New York
                          We ALL bleed scarlet
                          New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                          UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                          Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                          BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
                            I think he's a game manager. A pretty good one, but he's not being asked to go out and really attack the secondary anymore. Big difference from years past in my eyes and even games earlier in the season.
                            I dunno about that. Eli has attacked the secondary quite a bit against the Patriots and throughout the playoffs. How many times did he throw the ball downfield to Plax, Smith, and Toomer yesterday?

We are 100% better without Tiki. That goes without saying. Shockey is bit different. I can see where some would think that though. I do in a sense as well. We certainly don't miss Shockey running wrong routes and throwing his hands in the air everytime he doesn't catch a ball for whatever reason. Also Plax seems to have cut down on that as well without Shockey here. However Shockey brings a lot passion to the team, and even though Boss is blocking better than I thought he would, we still miss Shockey there a lot. Boss has filled in nicely but we aren't targeting him nearly as much as we did with Shockey. But like others said, Smith's getting on the field healthy again is a big reason why. He is going to be a very very good WR.
                            Last edited by Jughead10; 01-21-2008, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ness View Post
                              Sometimes it takes players a while to develop. Especially at quarterback. Eli has played lights out in three straight road games in the postseason. Four touchdowns and no turnovers. That's pretty darn impressive. The defense has been good in the playoffs, but so has the Giants offense. It's been quite balanced. And his career hasn't been that bad. He just helped get his ball club to the Super Bowl, the hard way. I'd say he's justified his stock. He got there before his brother did, that's for sure, and if he can beat the Patriots in two weeks, then his legacy is sealed.
                              Just liek you said, 4 touchdowns in 3 games. Game-manager, plain and simple. I will admit he has played well over the past 3 games, but we will see next season. In the immortal words of Bill Parcells, I haven't pulled out the anointing oil yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information