Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Falcons expected to name Mike Smith head coach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
    I would also like to note that iloxygenil has said in the past two days the following.

    1) Chris Redman is a serviceable starting quarterback in the NFL.

    2) He likes the coaching hire because Mike Smith sounds like a tough name.


    I didn't know it was possible to make such laughable comments back to back, but you've clearly pulled it off. Well done sir.
    1. Those comments were much to my chagrin.
    2. He did? I must have missed that..

    Comment


    • #47
      Little John Flowers (runningback) has the toughest name in the NFL hands down.

      Keep hating haters. shrug em off Johnny boy. shrug em off.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Shiver View Post
        1. Those comments were much to my chagrin.
        2. He did? I must have missed that..
        ...but Mike Smith...sounds like a good strong name to me. I just don't know anything about him
        For your viewing pleasure.


        Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
          For your viewing pleasure.
          i thought he was just joking. *shrug*

          Comment


          • #50
            My take on this: could be better, could be worse. At least it seems like they are trying to get a GM and HC on the same page. Whether that continuity pays off remains to be seen. I expected one or both of the following situations to occur:

            1. Arthur Blank makes some crazy 'splash' hire, like Pete Carroll.
            2. Or the Falcons' hire a "GM-lite" and then he tows the line with Blank/McKay/whichever big name that is the HC.

            Instead they hire a name that isn't well known, but is generally regarded as a good football coach. For every Marcellus Wiley there is half a dozen coaches/players/analysts who praised Smith and applauded the hire. And best of all it seems that it was the GM's call to make aforementioned hire.

            As for the Dimitroff press conference. Quite frankly I don't care that he isn't a polished public speaker. The only times you ever hear from the GM in situations like that mean that something bad happened; e.g, Rich McKay talking about the Michael Vick fiasco, the firing of a head coach, etc. I think the fact that he was the director of college scouting for one of, if not the best, drafting teams of this decade speaks for itself.
            Last edited by Shiver; 01-23-2008, 06:42 PM.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by niel89 View Post
              sweeeeet. now Rex Ryan can come back to the ravens.
              I heard the Jets are making a push to get Rex Ryan to be their DC next season.

              And for Smith being the new HC of the Falcons. All I have to say is wow! Bad hire, Smith does nothing with the Jags. Jack Del Rio was the DC basically.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                Dimitroff comes off as a total idiot. I listened to his press conference and it was nothing but incoherent rambling. He looks like he's about 13 years old.

                The Wiley comments are really interesting. It seems like nobody in Atlanta has a ******* idea what they are doing. Then again, I'm sure you'll reply with some outrageous and homerish remarks, as is your forte. Remember when you yelled at everyone for saying the Falcons would win less than 10-11 games, and then they won like 5? I do.
                I get the same feeling sometimes but who knows. Reffering to noone knowing what they are doing. We have a 12 year old, a interfering owner, a jelous vice president of football opperations, a IMO bad decision at head coach, and are looking at a horrible offensive coordinator who has done nothing in the past 4 or 5 years and has always been predictable.

                Originally posted by mqtirishfan View Post
                Another season where 11 DEs have more sacks than him, and he only has 32 tackles?
                Our other defensive lineman had like a total of 5 sacks. He was great.

                Recently-fired Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey might not remain unemployed long.


                We've learned Mularkey is in the process of deciding between offers to become the Bucs' quarterbacks coach or the Falcons' offensive coordinator. He met with coach Jon Gruden over breakfast in Mobile, Ala. on Tuesday and a decision is forthcoming.
                Oh God. Man are we screaming 'breakout franchise'.



                Sorry for being pessimistic. I do not like the Mike Smith hire, he was probably my third or fourth choice. I will get a better read on him during the press conference.
                Virginia Tech.
                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                Next Up: 2012

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                  As for the Dimitroff press conference. Quite frankly I don't care that he isn't a polished public speaker. The only times you ever hear from the GM in situations like that mean that something bad happened; e.g, Rich McKay talking about the Michael Vick fiasco, the firing of a head coach, etc. I think the fact that he was the director of college scouting for one of, if not the best, drafting teams of this decade speaks for itself.
                  He was, at best, third on the totem pole in terms of the draft hierarchy, and doubtful had any decision making power whatsoever. Simply hiring people from good teams doesn't make your team good. The whole hire (particularly because it was done basically over the ******* phone) seems to be just that. Arthur Blank really has no idea what he's doing, but knows that the Patriots are a good team, so he hired someone from them.

                  And I'm not so much critiquing his public speaking ability, though that itself was laughable, but his ideas and philosophy were so blatantly obvious and he came off as really unprepared. Maybe he was purposefully giving vanilla answers, but he looked like a dear in the headlights.
                  Last edited by bearsfan_51; 01-23-2008, 06:58 PM.


                  Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by jetsfan0099 View Post
                    I heard the Jets are making a push to get Rex Ryan to be their DC next season.

                    And for Smith being the new HC of the Falcons. All I have to say is wow! Bad hire, Smith does nothing with the Jags. Jack Del Rio was the DC basically.
                    and you know this because you are a Jets fan?

                    I guarantee you probably didn't even know mike smith's name until just recently...

                    Mike Smith is a great defensive coordinator...he's consistently had a top 10 defense even top 6 back to back years...he's due his shot...

                    expectations should be low for the Falcons this next season, just so Smith has a chance to exceed expectations...

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Not liking the direction. Dimintroff is unproven, Blank interferes, McKay is jelous, Mike Smith has not called plays since he was a college coach, and Mularkey is just horrible.

                      But Smith I am not sure on. Mixed reviews but I still like Rex Ryan and Spagnulio more. I love boths coaching styles in comparison to Smiths, and they called plays, and well Ryan seemed genuine about wanting the job.

                      Oh, and it is not a good fit. Man corners in a zone, deep zones for box safties (although they were improved), big defense guy for a small fast defense, a running predictable horrible offense for a team with no true RB and a good receiving corp and one of the best deep threats in the league.
                      Last edited by BamaFalcon59; 01-23-2008, 07:00 PM.
                      Virginia Tech.
                      ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                      Next Up: 2012

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                        Dimitroff comes off as a total idiot. I listened to his press conference and it was nothing but incoherent rambling. He looks like he's about 13 years old.

                        The Wiley comments are really interesting. It seems like nobody in Atlanta has a ******* idea what they are doing. Then again, I'm sure you'll reply with some outrageous and homerish remarks, as is your forte. Remember when you yelled at everyone for saying the Falcons would win less than 10-11 games, and then they won like 5? I do.
                        lol, you crack me up. I guess Bob Kraft looked stupid when he brought in Pioli, then Bellichick.

                        Owner of ScarDraft
                        Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                          He was, at best, third on the totem pole in terms of the draft hierarchy, and doubtful had any decision making power whatsoever. Simply hiring people from good teams doesn't make your team good. The whole hire (particularly because it was done basically over the ******* phone) seems to be just that. Arthur Blank really has no idea what he's doing, but knows that the Patriots are a good team, so he hired someone from them.
                          Yes, but it can't hurt. It was either him or Tom Heckert and neither called the shots. It isn't as if they could have hired someone who did have decision making hierarchy. That's the only way to hire a GM is to give someone "final say" when they do not currently have it, unless their contract runs out. Unless you can name some alternatives that I don't know about I see no reason why it is a "bad" hire. That doesn't mean it's "good," because that will be determined in time.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I too wanted to see Spags leave the nfc east, that would of made me happy :(

                            He really does a good job with the weapons he has and he's aggressive, gotta love that...Are there even any jobs left that could pursue him?





                            Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Everyone just rubs it in. Giants fans are like in love with the man and everyone else praises him.
                              Virginia Tech.
                              ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

                              Next Up: 2012

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                                Oh, and it is not a good fit. Man corners in a zone,
                                I looked up info on the Jaguars defense and that is simply not true. The Jaguars', in '06 anyway, matched Rashean Mathis against opposing #1 receivers 51% of the time, 7th most in the NFL. I remember watching NFL Matchup and they said that the reason the Jaguars have given Indianapolis trouble in the past is because they play physical with their receivers. They played soft a lot this year, but I think that was probably because they had so much inexperience and injuries.

                                deep zones for box safties (although they were improved),
                                They need to be replaced regardless.

                                big defense guy for a small fast defense,
                                And that is a problem, why? The Falcons have struggled against the run way too often on a perennial basis. To me physicality trumps finesse every day. You don't win in this league with a soft team.

                                a running predictable horrible offense for a team with no true RB and a good receiving corp and one of the best deep threats in the league.
                                Mike Mularkey, if anything, has a reputation of being pass happy. Hines Ward has his best seasons under Mularkey. The Dolphins threw way too much under him in '05.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information