Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raiders | Team denies it asked Kiffin to resign
    Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:39:39 -0800

The Associated Press reports the Oakland Raiders denied a report Friday, Jan. 25, that owner Al Davis asked head coach Lane Kiffin to resign after Davis allegedly made a resignation letter for Kiffin to sign. "There is no issue here," Raiders senior executive John Herrera said. "There was never an issue here. There's nothing to it."

Lofton to interview Monday
    By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
    Friday, January 25th, 2008 at 3:44 pm in Oakland Raiders
    9 Comments »

James Lofton will interview with the Raiders for the third time in three years Monday.

According to senior executive John Herrera, Lofton will interview as a position coach with head coach Lane Kiffin.

The same Kiffin who reportedly is locked in a “fire/resign” battle of wills with owner Al Davis.

Herrera insists the Kiffin-Davis feud isn’t the juicy story ESPN’s Chris Mortensen made it out to be.

“It’s not an issue. Lane’s the coach. It’s not an issue,” Herrera said. “I think the one accurate thing he said is that James Lofton will be interviewed. He will be _ as a position coach _ and he will do it with Lane on Monday because that’s when he gets back from Mobile and the Senior Bowl.”

Herrera also refuted the notion that Kiffin has been stripped of all personnel authority and control of his staff, conceding only that Davis was “irritated” when rumors of Kiffin’s interest in Arkansas surfaced four games before the end of the season.

“But that’s ancient history and this is now,” Herrera said. “There has never been any question about Lane being the coach. It hasn’t been an issue.”

Herrera also said Dennis Green has not been contacted by the club, noting that Green already said he hasn’t been contacted and that his name is always connected to the Raiders.

Lofton was fired this week as wide receivers coach of the San Diego Chargers. He interviewed for the head coaching positons that went to Art Shell and Norv Turner.

Kiffin has done nothing to refute the reports, saying, “I’m not going to comment on anything that’s transpired in the last three weeks.”

That three-week time frame coincides with the Raiders issuing a release saying Rob Ryan was still the defensive coordinator.
    Last edited by doingthisinsteadofwork; 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM.
    "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

What did he expect Kiffin to do in his first year? Was he expecting to make the playoffs. He hired a first time head coach, who didn't have any NFL experience, and was taking over a terrible team. Not exactly the recipe for success. I actually thought Kiffin was doing a decent job. He greatly improved the run game and doubled the win total from the previous year. If I was the Redskins I'd bring him in for an interview.

Comment

Originally posted by GB12 View Post
        What did he expect Kiffin to do in his first year? Was he expecting to make the playoffs. He hired a first time head coach, who didn't have any NFL experience, and was taking over a terrible team. Not exactly the recipe for success. I actually thought Kiffin was doing a decent job. He greatly improved the run game and doubled the win total from the previous year. If I was the Redskins I'd bring him in for an interview.

we all know he didnt get a fair chance, the only thing i question is how the player responded to him, that was the reason he fired Shell right?

also Al Davis deny's any of this talk

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Comment

ohhh nooo conflicting reports with teams and espn!!!!!

Did Mort report this one too? Is Eli's shoulder still seperated?
          We ALL bleed scarlet
          New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
          UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
          Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
          BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by The Legend View Post
            we all know he didnt get a fair chance, the only thing i question is how the player responded to him, that was the reason he fired Shell right?

also Al Davis deny's any of this talk

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true
            With the track record Davis has had vs the media recently I would tend to believe ESPN over him. Anyone remember the Art Shell debacle.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
              ohhh nooo conflicting reports with teams and espn!!!!!

Did Mort report this one too? Is Eli's shoulder still seperated?
              lol i got that feeling to, dont if people remember but when Adam from NFLTA said art shell will be fired the raiders didnt deny anything and he was fired, but this time Al does deny it...does this mean hes not going anywhere

Comment

I could see Kiffin in Atlanta. But that would be the smart thing to do, so who knows.
                Virginia Tech.
                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

Wasn't Kiffin pursuing some of the big college openings and this angered Davis? Fair enough really, I mean if he wanted to go to Michigan/WVU etc and only now wants to stay with the Raiders because he didn't get them, I can understand why Davis might be PO'd.

Anyway, it seems embarrassing for the NFL that the head coach for the North senior bowl squad might not be a HC in a few more days/weeks.

Comment

this is a classic case of BSPN rearing it's ugly head again with no real credible source to name in the situation, it's a slow week in between Super Bowl coverage and it seems that Raider drama is always good for making headlines. When will the media stop making unfounded rumors about Davis, the man is a legend and people bag on him but how many other franchises have been to 5 superbowls and almost one in every decade? not many can boast that kind of track record. Hate him all you want but it's him that got bagged for hiring Kiffin only to have the media backtrack on their laughter and admit that Kiffin was a good decision. Long story short, this is classis Chris Mortensen ********.

Comment

Coaching the Raiders has to be the absolutel worst career move you could make. You're basically guaranteed to coach a terrible team for 1 year and then get fired.

It takes alot for me to feel bad for Raiders fans...but I almost do.
                      "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

Kiffin won twice as many games as Art Shell did in 2006 . . . That's improvement, lol.

Al Davis makes Ford, Sr. look like a rocket surgeon.
                        R.I.P. L.E.F.
                        "I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

al davis is a rat

Comment

Originally posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
                            I could see Kiffin in Atlanta. But that would be the smart thing to do, so who knows.
                            ...As what?

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                              Probably because he won't have to pay him he remainder of his contract if he resigns.

We're honestly getting to Marge Schott levels. The NFL needs to step in and take the Raiders away from Al Davis. Yes it's a drastic and controversial move, but he's losing his mind. Coordinators were already turning down the job (hence why he had to hire a nobody from a college program). I wouldn't be suprised if the next coach is from high school, or Davis himself. Hopefully for Raiders' fans sake Rob Ryan will want it.
                              Agreed, The NFL needs to step in. Al Davis has to be to stopped, I don't know what to think anymore... If Kiffin is gone get this, Kirk Morrison is going into this 4th season next year and he will be going on his 4th Head Coach. This is just insane!
                              Taking a Knapp.

Comment

Originally posted by ny10804 View Post
                                And the Knicks for Dolan.
                                AND THE INDIANS AWAY FROM DOLAN!

Damn the Dolans...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information