No announcement yet.

NFL Owners to opt out of CBA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, apparently Malcolm Glazer bought the Bucs for "$192 billion in 1995." Sounds a tad bit exorbitant if you ask me.

Comment

Net worth means little. Pretty hard to a pay a player money that's tied up in unrelated businesses and ventures. I think those who benefit most would be the teams that have the best net profit margins.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
        Ugh....do we REALLY need to have this argument again?

Football would not become like baseball. If you don't understand why do some actual reasearch about the finances of both sports. Or just shut up.

If we got rid of the salary cap it would not make nearly the difference people think it would.
        Well what kinda difference would it make?

RIP ST

Comment

The Colts pay more for payroll than the Redskins do. In case anyone wanted to look that up too.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

I agree, revenues are more important, of course high net worth comes from having high revenue.

Im not surprised its being stopped. The rookie salaries alone is enough of a reason. The really good thing about the NFL is if they don't get an aggrement the season goes on.
            "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

Originally posted by Shahin View Post
              Well what kinda difference would it make?
              Very little actually. The differece between baseball and football, in a nutshell, is that baseball negotiates the majority of their media contracts independently. That's why the Yankees, who play in a huge media market, are able to generate so much revenue (among other things).

In football, the bulk of the money is distributed equally. While it's true that some owners like Snyder could choose to spend his own wealth (as he already does), most owners are already spending about as much as their revenue streams allow without going into the red.

The big debate isn't about how the money is being shared, it's how much the owners feel the players deserve, and I would agree that 60% is probably too much.

Comment

I think a soft cap could work in the place of the current one(although I hope it doesn't get to the spot the NBA is at now), with luxury taxes as penalties for going over.

Ideally of course, I'd want it to stay the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And since the NFL is pretty clearly the best professional league, it sure ain't broke.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                Originally posted by njx9
                do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

If the owners want the players to get less, they can risk their health for THEIR wallets.

Comment

The Falcons would become a better team, because Blank is willing to drop as much money as it takes to build a winner...but football without a cap I would hate...

Comment

Originally posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
                      If the owners want the players to get less, they can risk their health for THEIR wallets.
                      So that would probably end up in a strike...

Comment

Ugh....do we REALLY need to have this argument again?

Football would not become like baseball. If you don't understand why do some actual reasearch about the finances of both sports. Or just shut up.

If we got rid of the salary cap it would not make nearly the difference people think it would.
                        I have to disagree. While there is a lot of revenue sharing in the NFL unlike baseball, big cities would still have a substantial advantage over smaller ones especially in merchandising. Teams like Buffalo, Cincinnati, Arizona and a few others have substantially less revenue that most of the other bigger city teams. There is a reason why Buffalo wants to play in Toronto.
                        They might not actually get down to 4 or 5 teams dominating the league financially but the effects would be noticable nevertheless and any sense of equality would disappear quickly.
                        Anyways, it's not going to happen because if the NFL were to pull out of the CBA which I highly doubt, a strike would surely follow and before it is all said and done, the NFL could lose and face a far worse CBA. There are no guarantees in a strike and with NFL revenues are at an all time high, I just cannot see how they would throw the dice by negating the current CBA and risk everything they have accomplish toi win some relatively minor concessions.
                        And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                          I have to disagree. While there is a lot of revenue sharing in the NFL unlike baseball, big cities would still have a substantial advantage over smaller ones especially in merchandising. Teams like Buffalo, Cincinnati, Arizona and a few others have substantially less revenue that most of the other bigger city teams. There is a reason why Buffalo wants to play in Toronto.
                          They might not actually get down to 4 or 5 teams dominating the league financially but the effects would be noticable nevertheless and any sense of equality would disappear quickly.
                          Anyways, it's not going to happen because if the NFL were to pull out of the CBA which I highly doubt, a strike would surely follow and before it is all said and done, the NFL could lose and face a far worse CBA. There are no guarantees in a strike and with NFL revenues are at an all time high, I just cannot see how they would throw the dice by negating the current CBA and risk everything they have accomplish toi win some relatively minor concessions.
                          Those teams already have more revenue, and higher payrolls.

I'm not saying "yay strike!!", but people have this totally misguided idea that the salary cap is the only reason (or even a main reason) why there is parity in the NFL.

Comment

Those teams already have more revenue, and higher payrolls.

I'm not saying "yay strike!!", but people have this totally misguided idea that the salary cap is the only reason (or even a main reason) why there is parity in the NFL.
                            Here I agree with you, scheduling has a lot more to do with parity than talent although the top teams with the top QB's are going to dominate in the end anyways. However, neither you nor I can predict what no salary cap would do to the league itself. Certainly the richer teams would benefit and the poorer team would pay the consequences. Besides, it will never come to no salary cap even if the CBA was negated, there simply won't be a season or any games till a new CBA is negotiated. Heck, the NFL would lock the players out before they'll play a season with no CBA and no salary cap.
                            And proud of it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamcanadian View Post
                              Here I agree with you, scheduling has a lot more to do with parity than talent although the top teams with the top QB's are going to dominate in the end anyways. However, neither you nor I can predict what no salary cap would do to the league itself. Certainly the richer teams would benefit and the poorer team would pay the consequences. Besides, it will never come to no salary cap even if the CBA was negated, there simply won't be a season or any games till a new CBA is negotiated. Heck, the NFL would lock the players out before they'll play a season with no CBA and no salary cap.
                              Shane Falco time?

Comment

Good. The current CBA is killing the Jaguars and Wayne Weaver, along with many other small-market teams.

I have no doubt that a better CBA will be negotiated if this happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information