Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ninerfan View Post
    the belief that African Americans cant play QB
    In sports studies this is called "stacking". It's whenever minorities are made to do things that are to be expected of them. Since most African American players aren't brought up to play the QB position, white players tend to be more effective. Is this fair? No. But does it happen? Certainly.

I don't think that black players should be treated any differently, but I know that Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair and Donovan McNabb are the only great black QB's I know. And I'm not sure you could call Cunningham, McNair and McNabb great.

If I were starting a team, I'd go for the white QB. History tends to favour them. In this draft I'd go for Quinn over Russell.

Comment

Race as a whole.

Sig by rainbeaukid2
      Originally posted by yodachu
      Everyone pwns the Rams.

Comment

It's absolutley the 40 yard dash.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by tom View Post
          In sports studies this is called "stacking". It's whenever minorities are made to do things that are to be expected of them. Since most African American players aren't brought up to play the QB position, white players tend to be more effective. Is this fair? No. But does it happen? Certainly.

I don't think that black players should be treated any differently, but I know that Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, Steve McNair and Donovan McNabb are the only great black QB's I know. And I'm not sure you could call Cunningham, McNair and McNabb great.

If I were starting a team, I'd go for the white QB. History tends to favour them. In this draft I'd go for Quinn over Russell.
          in the times we live in now african americans are growing up to want to play qb and playing qb through high school and college. so i dont really think that works still.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

tackles. guys like Vilma got huge #s again but his real production didnt back it in 3-4

i rather have a guy with 60 tackles at LB who didnt give up much rather than a guy who gets 120 tackles and got run over or made tackles down the field

Comment

Originally posted by niel89 View Post
              in the times we live in now african americans are growing up to want to play qb and playing qb through high school and college. so i dont really think that works still.
              its starting to be like that. But up till not to long ago most QBs being groomed starting in high school were white.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Super Bowls.

P.S. I am a Vikings fan.
                "Kenny Phillips has the body of Sean Taylor and the speed and knowledge of Ed Reed"

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
                4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007

Comment

Pro Bowl selections

Comment

Originally posted by swagger View Post
                    Super Bowls.

P.S. I am a Vikings fan.
                    That explains everything
                    RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

Kurt Warner

hands down

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
                        It's absolutley the 40 yard dash.
                        Agreed.

A .5 difference in running can make you loose millions of dollars... Teams value the 40 too much, and should go by film and stats more.

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
                          its starting to be like that. But up till not to long ago most QBs being groomed starting in high school were white.
                          too true. i dont really give a damn about race. i think the best players should play regardless.

could this interest for young african americans wanting to play qb be linked to mike vicks popularity? he is an amazing playmaker and very exciting to watch. heck when kids play pick up football who do you think everyone wants to be?

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

INT's definately. If you dont have tons it doesn't mean you suck, you could be tipping passes or blanketing WRs

Comment

It's not just Vick, but he's a big part of it. Hell, in recent years Vick, Culpepper, McNabb, McNair, Vince Young and others have made it more feasible for young black kids who start playing football to be taken seriously when they decide they want to be a QB. At this point it's harder to be taken seriously as a white non-FB running back or corner that it is to do so as a black quarterback.

And that's not because black people or white people are better at certain positions, but because these kids are all groomed for positions very young, and when the white kid gets asked what he wants to be, it's unlikely he'll think he can be a HB, based on what he sees in the NFL and at the college level. It's even worse for, say, asian kids, who have only one role model in the NFL, or latino kids, who also don't have many.

So now the race-stacking is shifting. All the QBs mentioned above have, at some point, been pigeonholed into the role of "the running QB", implying that they aren't as polished in the throwing or game-management roles. Which for some of them, like Vick, is valid, but for most, like McNair and McNabb, is crap. But nonetheless, for now at least, the stereotype that black QBs run better while white QBs throw better persists.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshTheStampede View Post
                                But nonetheless, for now at least, the stereotype that black QBs run better while white QBs throw better persists.
                                yeah honestly Jake Plummer has mad scrables. >.<

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information