Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jared Allen wants to be a 49er

Super Bowl XLII blog: Allen has eye on 49ers
    The top free agent in the NFL wants to play for the 49ers.

Defensive end Jared Allen, who is scheduled for unrestricted free agency with the Kansas City Chiefs, attended Los Gatos High. He grew up a Raiders fan, but he prefers to play for the 49ers.

"Jared would welcome the opportunity to play in front of his hometown crowd," said Ken Harris, Allen's agent. "His family is up north. I have no doubt there is a high level of interest in playing (for the 49ers)."

Allen made similar comments yesterday to radio hosts Lamont and Tonelli of 107.7 The Bone, telling them he'd like to play for the 49ers.

However, a lot of pieces would have to fall into place for him to end up with the 49ers. After all, the Chiefs are expected to tag Allen as their franchise player with a tender of $8.9 million. That means any team wishing to sign Allen would have to cough up two first-round draft picks. The Chiefs could also make him an "exclusive" franchise player for a higher price and wipe out his ability to negotiate with other teams.

"It's the worst-kept secret in the NFL that the Chiefs are going to franchise him," Harris said. "But Jared has already said that if he plays on the franchise tender, he will never do a long-term deal with them."

Allen is regarded as one of the NFL's premier defenders. He recorded a league-high 15.5 sacks last season, led the league in passes batted down at the line of scrimmage and ranked at the top of the league in solo tackles from defensive ends.

If the Chiefs fail to sign Allen to a long-term contract by July 15, they could retain him for two seasons with back-to-back franchise tenders for a combined cost of more than $20 million.

Allen was a fourth-round pick from Idaho State who was selected more for his ability as a long-snapper. However, he quickly developed into a dangerous defender. He has 43 sacks in four seasons.

LOL... and play what? OLB??? Hardy har har!

Comment

It really doesn't matter what he wants at this point. Say hello to another year with the franchise tag Mr. Allen.

Allen was a fourth-round pick from Idaho State who was selected more for his ability as a long-snapper. However, he quickly developed into a dangerous defender. He has 43 sacks in four seasons.
      Didn't know that. From long snapper to a premiere defensive end. Not bad :)

Sveen's 2015 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Comment

This is just agent talk trying to get the best deal he can for his player.

Comment

Doesn't really matter bc he is going to get tagged. But if he did come to the 49ers they would have to make the switch to a 4-3. Using him at 3-4 DE or OLB would probably put him in a situation where he wouldn't succeed.

A 4-3 with Patrick Willis, two big fat NT's as DT's a passrushing RE and a solid LE would be like the dominant Ravens defense all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sveen View Post
            It really doesn't matter what he wants at this point. Say hello to another year with the franchise tag Mr. Allen.
            Bingo. I'm sure he'd like to come play for his hometown team, and the Niners could certainly use a pass rusher (though I doubt Allen would be the best fit at OLB in a 3-4), he'll probably never hit the market. Just empty chatter, IMO.

Comment

He would be an upgrade from Tully Banta Cain..

Comment

I personally feel that the 49ers should make a switch to a 4-3 defense anyway. When you have a special talent at MIKE like the 49ers have, you want to create a defense around him that will maximize his potential.

Having that kind of money invested in a 3-4 ILB is counterproductive in today's league. In a 4-3 defense, its acceptable. In fact, its welcomed.

Considering there really aren't any pieces in that defense worth a damn outside of Willis, Clements, and Lawson (who can be used in a Peterson type of role) I see a switch to a 4-3 as a wise move. That of course requires Mike Nolan getting fired, which shouldve already happened.

Comment

This is very funny because I don't remember the last time when a free agent wanted to join our team.

About tag, he said don't want to resign a long term deal, so next offseason will be ours just how we did with Clements and soon with Briggs.
                  A new champions generation has born!

Comment

Originally posted by NIMV View Post
                    This is very funny because I don't remember the last time when a free agent wanted to join our team.

About tag, he said don't want to resign a long term deal, so next offseason will be ours just how we did with Clements and soon with Briggs.
                    If you guys plan on keeping a 3-4 defense, signing Briggs is idiotic. Why invest so much money into the ILB position in a 3-4 defense? Thats moronic. Thats the one position on a 3-4 defense where you want to save money.

Even in a 4-3 defense, i rather invest more money on the dline than have 2 high priced linebackers.

Comment

Originally posted by NIMV View Post
                      Keep dreaming. I can give you three links that have Jared Allen saying he loves the Chiefs,staff and fans and doesn't want to leave this is just him an his agent trying to avoid the tag and get a long term deal done.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        I personally feel that the 49ers should make a switch to a 4-3 defense anyway. When you have a special talent at MIKE like the 49ers have, you want to create a defense around him that will maximize his potential.

Having that kind of money invested in a 3-4 ILB is counterproductive in today's league. In a 4-3 defense, its acceptable. In fact, its welcomed.

Considering there really aren't any pieces in that defense worth a damn outside of Willis, Clements, and Lawson (who can be used in a Peterson type of role) I see a switch to a 4-3 as a wise move. That of course requires Mike Nolan getting fired, which shouldve already happened.
                        I agree with every word, but I do like Nolan as a coach for some reason. I just think that if he was as good of a defensive coach as we thought he was that he'd recognize that he should switch to a 4-3.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                        WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                          Keep dreaming. I can give you three links that have Jared Allen saying he loves the Chiefs,staff and fans and doesn't want to leave this is just him an his agent trying to avoid the tag and get a long term deal done.
                          Well, if you want to keep him longterm you better not franchise him
                          "It's the worst-kept secret in the NFL that the Chiefs are going to franchise him," Harris said. "But Jared has already said that if he plays on the franchise tender, he will never do a long-term deal with them."

Comment

"But Jared has already said that if he plays on the franchise tender, he will never do a long-term deal with them."

That means nothing at this point Lance Briggs any one players say all kinds of stuff when they are working on a new deal.

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                              I agree with every word, but I do like Nolan as a coach for some reason. I just think that if he was as good of a defensive coach as we thought he was that he'd recognize that he should switch to a 4-3.
                              I like his personality, and the attitude he brings to the team. But his personnel decisions have been horrible. And the defense isn't being built properly, as well as the offense.

For a team that spent a lot of money "improving their roster", i don't see it at all. There is still a glaring lack of talent on that team, on both sides of the ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information