No announcement yet.

Senator To Commissioner: Explain Destroyed Tapes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow if they actually find real evidence to back up all these claims, the Patriots organization is in deep trouble and we may see the last of Belicheat.
    Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

Not only the patriots organization, but the NFL in general. After I looked into this matter further it isn't as much grandstanding on the behalf of the senator as I thought. I was unaware that he had spoked out against the NFL in the past few months, most notably about the television packages the NFL runs. If Goodell did indeed destroy credible evidence of past cheating than he and the Pats could have mucked it up for the rest of the NFL reall good and Specter is right on the money.

He said he was going to introduce legislation in the next session in hopes of eliminating the league's freedom from antitrust laws and if it turns out that Goodell did indeed destroy important documents that taints The patriots, than the Senate could have more ammo to strip the NFL of their antitrust exemption. If you think that the senate should have somethign better to do Ie. healthcare, school systems etc. than your looking at the wrong branch of the senate. This is the Sentiate Judiciary Committe and one of their jobs is to uphold the antitrust laws and we are lucky that the NFL still has one. If they get rid of it you can wave goodbye to players staying in college for 3 years, you'll see more upstart leagues, the NFL will lose out on money with the cable companies and than that will only cause more bickering amongst the players of how they distribute the earnings for the year etc.

There is plenty of presedence already set as well; a few years ago the Senate said that the NFL was acting as a monopoly, which obviously we would be due to the antitrust exmeption, during the USFL law suite and the maurice clarett law suite. In 2007 the senate passed Railroad Antitrust Enforcement Act of 2007 stating that they had provided unreliable services while charging unfair prices etc. There aren't too many competing leagues against the NFL, but there certainly have been those who have tried.

Bottom line is, that the NFL has unrestrained monopoly power and if they wish to keep it they will need to avoid things like spygate and the like.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
        While I find some elements of the Spygate scandal were handled questionably, doesn't the Senate of the United States of America have more pressing matters to concern itself with then this?
        I would rather have them spend time on football than have them work on figuring out new ways to steal my money

Eeez Ezpecially Delicious

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
          Is this the same Arlen Spector that calls into Philadelphia sports talk radio on a regular basis to talk about all things Philly sports and is crying about a three point differential in Super Bowl XXXIX?

Maybe we should launch a governmental investigation as to why my boss decided not to give me a raise, or why the tooth fairy didn't leave me any money under my pillow, or how Philly's third worst crime family is setting up shop in the Eagle's locker room, or maybe Mr. Spector should be more concerned with something like, I don't know, heath care or tax cuts or the school systems. Sounds a bit more important then how a private company chose to discipline one of its employees for breaking company policy.

But hey, it's OK, I happen to know John Kerry is a huge Patriots fan, so he'll show Mr. Spector that he can wear his homer shoes too and make a scene over nothing...
          Ahh an angry patriots fan who would rather blindly insult the senator with sarcastic quips than actually do a bit of research into the subject. Senator Specter is part of the Judiciary Committee; one of their major roles is making sure said private company isn't violating antitrust laws. If you look up the roles of the Judiciary committee you will see that handeling Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights is one of their main jobs, so it would seem stupid if he didn't take this seriously.

Oh and by the way, maybe your senator John Kerry can let The Senate Health & Long-Term Care Committee, the U.S senate Committee on health, Education, Labor and pensions as well as the Senate Budget Commitee that they are responsible for healthcare, education and tax cuts not the judiciary committe.

I'll admit i was upset at specter too, but after doing a little research things tend to be not as one sided as everyone makes it out to be.
          Last edited by BroadwayJoe10; 02-02-2008, 03:23 PM.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Comment

this will be one of his last terms in senate too; he has health problems

heard something on espn last night; like the nfl cant fight this cuz of antitrust laws or something and if they did they could take away the draft

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

Roger Goodell is a jackass.

RIP ST

Comment

Because locking them up on file got them leaked on Fox within five days...
                why would it be a problem if they're on fox ?
                why shouldn't the films, in thier entirety, be made public?

Comment

Originally posted by adamprez2003 View Post
                  I would rather have them spend time on football than have them work on figuring out new ways to steal my money
                  they will always steal your money...at least if they're investigating these accusations, we might get a verdict...don't fret, they steal my money too...

Comment

This is rediculous. I think Congress has just a few other things to worry about then the NFL....

Comment

Originally posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
                      If they get rid of it you can wave goodbye to players staying in college for 3 years, you'll see more upstart leagues, the NFL will lose out on money with the cable companies and than that will only cause more bickering amongst the players of how they distribute the earnings for the year etc.
                      About the dumbest thing I've ever read. More upstart leagues? Losing out on money from cable companies? Bickering among players? Are you serious?

So now all of a sudden because there is no anti-trust in place, all long standing business practices performed by the NFL will cease to exist? Just poof, up and gone? I seriously doubt that. None of that would change, and when those legal, binding contracts are up, new ones would follow.

Businesses exist in this country without anti-trust. Every professional football league that has tried to compete with the NFL has failed, and it has had absolutely nothing to do with any anti-trust. There would be no bickering over how to distribute earnings, because the league and the union decide those things over collective bargaining. Does their service agreement all of a sudden disappear?

Boo hoo. The NFL didn't get back to you about your precious letter. Did you even listen to what the clown had to say? He said that the NFL took games that were already scheduled and rearranged the schedule so that they could broadcast on their own network. That's kind of funny, because I remember all of those games being scheduled as such at the beginning of the season. Mr. Spector really should do a better job of getting his facts straight, especially if he wants to go toe to toe with the NFL.

This is total grandstanding. He's got sand in his vagina because he got blown off and now he's huffing and puffing, conveniently, during the NFL's biggest week of the year. What difference does it make to him if a companies employee broke one of the companies policy? Again, I'd like to know if he's going to bring me in for a senate hearing because I've been dicking around on the internet at work, when it is a clear violation of my companies policy. Or maybe they should bring in my banker because he was a half hour late for work?

It's ridiculous. The NFL is a business and handled the disciplinary action on their own. They don't need to explain anything to anyone. They can operate their business as they see fit. Last time I checked, there are no laws against destroying video tapes.

They got rid of them because they got rid of them. It was probably for the good of the game. Who cares? We all know what was on it. Fox showed us. I've said from the beginning the whole thing is stupid, and I think it's even dumber today, especially after people like Jimmy Johnson have come out and said that he did the same thing with the Chiefs, Dolphins and even while winning Super Bowls with the Cowboys. Yet no one wants to hear that. So whatever.

And you say no surprise that I'm a Pats fan, well, shock of the day that you're a Jets fan. Funny how that works...

Comment

Originally posted by Cashmoneydrew View Post
                        This is rediculous. I think Congress has just a few other things to worry about then the NFL....
                        The NFL is a billion dollar industry. If there was another billion dollar company with something "suspicious" going on, you can bet your ass they'd be investigating that too. So I understand why they are investigating this and the steroids thing.
                        Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

"The steroid thing" refers to laws being broken. No laws were broken with "spygate" or the NFL Network, which are Spector's two beefs. They are both company decisions. How come congress didn't call Circuit City in front of them when they decided to fire many of their higher paid workers so that they could replace them with lower paid workers? Or how about when HP sent many of their workers to India for two months to train their new call center there and then laid them all off when they got back because they had just trained their replacements?

So yes, this is trivial, and yes, there are other things they need to be concerning themselves with.

Comment

"The steroid thing" refers to laws being broken. No laws were broken with "spygate" or the NFL Network, which are Spector's two beefs. They are both company decisions. How come congress didn't call Circuit City in front of them when they decided to fire many of their higher paid workers so that they could replace them with lower paid workers? Or how about when HP sent many of their workers to India for two months to train their new call center there and then laid them all off when they got back because they had just trained their replacements?

So yes, this is trivial, and yes, there are other things they need to be concerning themselves with.
                            Thou speaketh true...

Comment

Originally posted by Cashmoneydrew View Post
                              Thou speaketh true...
                              Ye Olde Grammar Police saith:

It is "Thou speakest true."

by BoneKrusher
                              <DG> how metal unseen
                              <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by The Unseen View Post
                                Ye Olde Grammar Police saith:

It is "Thou speakest true."

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information