Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Catch".....dare we steal the phrase?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about "The Play" ? or "The Completion" ? I feel "The Catch" doesn't give justice to the play Eli made prior to launching it down field.

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
      How about "The Play" ? or "The Completion" ? I feel "The Catch" doesn't give justice to the play Eli made prior to launching it down field.

"The Play"= Stanford Cal

Comment

And this was more impressive then McNabb's scramble on Monday Night Football right? I think it ended in a long completion to TO.

Comment

Look who caught the ball, David frickin Tyree, yea thats who...Thats how you knew it was time for the ball to go in someone else's court and not the Pats, during the reg season nothing like that happens...Harrison played excellent defense on that play, couldnt of been better, it was just time for the run to end

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

"The Great Escape" ftw.
            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
              Plus, "the Great Escape" is not indigenous enough to football to carry the distinction that this moment is worth of, having been used tons of times in other genres.
              It's still the most memorable part of that play. There's not one person who thought Eli Manning wouldn't be sacked on that play, so just to get the throw off by itself was an amazing play. The catch was amazing too, but it never happens if Eli doesn't escape the pressure. Hence, "The Great Escape".

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
              <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

I would like to see the catch incorporated into the phrase though. Because it was just a notch below the escape by Manning. I'm sure one clever sports writer across teh nation will help us out.

Comment

Well, "The Completion" kinda covers it all, as a completion means more than just a catch.

Comment

The Catch will always remain part of 49er and NFL folklore. No way will the meaning change after 26 years. Hell, there's even a Catch 2 (Terrell Owens catch against Green Bay in 1998.

I like what everyone else has been suggesting, "The Great Escape"

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                      :O
                      I don't know what y'alls reaction was, but I am simply flabbergasted at the grab that Tyree made on the game winning drive.

I mean, in an age where hyperbole is out of control everywhere you look, the strongest statement I have heard in regard to this play was "it might be one of the best plays in Super Bowl history..."

EXCUSE ME? Here is a catch that 1) is as remarkable a pure "catch" as you will ever see, with the defender trying his balls off to push the ball through the receiver's hands, before WWE-ing the guy across his knee, all while the WR is pinning the ball against his helmet WITH ONE HAND AND somehow managing to prevent the ball from hitting the turf; 2) occurred during the waning minutes of a Super Bowl, with his team down by 4 points, needing a TD, and facing a 4th and long conversion inside their own territory if he doesn't make it.....and that doesn't even include the amazing escape that Eli makes to get the ball off in the first place!!(I'm working myself into a frenzy here)....3) immediatly leads to the game winning score against a previously unbeaten (and supposedly unbeatable) team that is gunning for "best of all time" honors.

Does that cover it? I mean, honestly, what play can you name off of the top of your head that has more going for it? I say that this might be the greatest catch in NFL history--certainly the best that I have witnessed.

Maybe we should come up with a new name for it, but its easily a more noteworthy and remarkable play than what Dwight Clark did, so why not?

Greatest single play I have ever seen in the Super Bowl. Words fail

Eeez Ezpecially Delicious

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_dQrqiFIKI

Two catches I think are better than this one. Not better plays, just better catches.

Now a play that rivals this one:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnfbK...eature=related
                        The Immaculate Reception.
                        I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I have always seen the Immaculate reception and heard so much about it, but what were the circumstances during that play?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
                            I have always seen the Immaculate reception and heard so much about it, but what were the circumstances during that play?
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception
                            I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Ridiculous.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Just remember, every time you use the phrase "The Great Escape", you owe d34ng3l0 and I money. I'm just saying. It's being copyrighted as we speak.

Pay us! Now!

In all seriousness though, it was a spectacular effort by Tyree. I think it's a great catch in it's own right. However, you throw in The Great Escape (cha-ching) and it becomes one of the best plays in Super Bowl history.

Of course, I'm probably bias.
                                (shameless self-promotion)
                                Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                                https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information